SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm considering a Honda Pioneer 500, anyone have one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm considering a Honda Pioneer 500, anyone have one? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Actually considering the new Pioneer 520 which incorporates a dump bed rather than the rear rack, but otherwise it's essentially the same as the 500. Just wondering what any owners experience has been as far as what they like and anything they do not.

What's appealing to me is the narrow 50" width and overall small size. I have owned a Mule 610 (SX) which at 52" was almost the same. What's a concern is how much it may skid up grass and trails because of the rear axle w/o any differential?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Yes we do about 6 mos. old now and love it. We have the 4 seater which fold down into the flat dump bed.

I will warn you that the tires/tread will tear up a gravel driveway even just easing along due to gear ratio. We also added the top and windshield.
As you already know not cheap cost wise but it is a Honda and you get what you pay for.

Any questions email in profile.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
If yours is a 4-seater I'm going to assume it is a Pioneer 700. Like the little 500, the Pioneer 700 does not incorporate an open differential either, which is what causes them to rut up driveways, trails, and turf when doing tight turns. In Honda's line up you have to go to the Pioneer 1000 to get an open differential which some refer to as "turf mode". To be honest this is what is causing me to hesitate buying the Pioneer 520. Other than this I haven't heard much negative about the Pioneer 500 (or 700).

I have a larger Kawasaki UTV (with an open dif) and Honda Rancher 400 ATV (which does not have an open dif). My thought was to trade the Rancher on a Pioneer 520 because for me a small UTV will be more useful than an ATV yet will fit most any place the Rancher can, and when friends and family visit a second UTV will work better than the ATV.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pioneer 520

Makes sense to have a smaller utv than a 4 wheeler, would appear to have more versatility.

You going camo too?

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I don't have one but have been looking at them. Make sure you consider pricing on atvtrader.com, prices seem to be lower than last year. You may be able to buy out of state and even with shipping save some money. Depends on what your local dealer is asking. Also if you are into extended warranties there are people that sell them, I know for Kawasaki you can buy their warranty from people on eBay.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It really does, it's just do I want to "invest" in this added versatility? As far as camo, no that's extra over solid red, green or blue and I'm too cheap, but I must say the camo 520 in the pic looks nice. I'd probably pick red or blue which'll make it easier for me to locate when I'm in the woods with it.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
mrvmax are you looking at a Pioneer 520? Or something larger? I doubt I'd buy an extended warranty, last time I did was on a new 2000 Honda Gold Wing simply because it was all new and so damn complex. I did buy the warranty from a discount dealer in Ohio.

If I do buy it'll most likely be from my local dealer whom I have a very good relationship with. Hell I should as much stuff as I buy from them! Smile It could actually be purchased here, but in my daughter's name who is from a neighboring State. But thanks I will check ATV Trader just to keep them honest. Actually most dealers around here are selling UTV's, ATV's, dirt bikes, and dual sport motorcycles for MSRP as fast as they can get them in. I figure come January this should subside, until Spring.

As far as purchasing a UTV out of State, doing so can avoid paying 6% sales but there are now some "complications". The only way is if it's never to be titled and licensed (which I myself wouldn't need to do) because I do most riding on my own trails plus in WV I can ride on most of the public roads around me w/o license. The only ones you're not supposed to are 55 mph+ highways, for that you're supposed to have a license plate and insurance. So I'm fine never titling my UTV's.
However when I ever decide to get rid of it it'd have to be a private sale because a dealer can't take a trade that was never titled. Then the private sale would have to be to someone that would be willing to buy the UTV w/o title and they themself willing to never license, insure, or trade it in the future. But even then it could come back on me. Let's say 5 years from now I sell it privately. Sometime later this person changes their mind and decides he now wants to license it to be able to run it on public trails or down the highway. He'd have to get me to send the Certificate of Origin, my original bill of sale along with 6% WV tax, to WV DOT who would then issue a title in my name. I would sign the title over to him allowing him to apply for a new WV (or whatever State he's from) title in his name. That will allow him to license and insure it. I couldn't really refuse as I had fraudulently avoided paying the WV tax back when I brought it out of State.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine has one and I've driven it several times. They are nice machines as anything Honda normally is. We were 3 miles out on a frozen lake fishing a few years ago. I had my Polaris Ranger and he had his Honda. It was time to move to another spot and his machine would not start. We looked at all the obvious things but couldn't figure it out. I towed him back in and we loaded up. Turns out his fuel line must have froze up because once he trailered it home it started right up.

At least I got to rub it in that my Polaris towed his Honda off the lake. You really need to decide what you are going to use you're machine for. As far as a work horse and trail rider it's hard to beat my 900XP Ranger. I'm looking at adding a 4 seater Kawasaki Trex to the stable for trail riding with friends who come to our lake place and don't have a wheeler.

Also accessories for these things don't nickel and dime you they hundred(s) dollar you to death. Wink

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yes it's always nice being able to tow someone else's different make UTV/ATV just for the bragging rights! Smile

I had a Polaris Ranger 500 and liked much about it other than the 4WD system it employed, ironically it's the 4WD system Honda uses on the Pioneer 520 (and 700) causing me hesitation now. I guess I'm too picky.
I think it's good that you can add a second one for friends to be able to use because I know my friends and family really enjoy driving them around. YES accessories can really add up on these things! Fortunately I don't add much if anything to mine but I know of some who have spent over $20K on their UTV only to add $5,000+ more in stuff for it; roof, windshield, winch, heater, sound system, lights, etc.....

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Mine has 4wd mode,2wd mode and single wheel (turf mode) all selected from a rocker switch on the dash. My tires are some aftermarket Rip Saw tires that are pretty aggressive so no matter what drive mode I'm in it's not lawn friendly especially when turning.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Polaris's Hilliard system works well for many (maybe most) it allows the vehicle to say be driven up hill on a high traction road with 4wd engaged without binding. And if there's a section of mud or ice causing the rear wheels to start spinning, the front wheels temporarily kick in. The system just didn't work well for my use. With its one switch the rear locker must be engaged before you can select 4wd. There were many times I needed 4WD but did NOT want the rear locked, as that tended to chew up the ground on turns. Engaging 4WD the locked rear continued to rut the ground or gravel in turns but now even going straight when 4wd was needed, say up a slick hill the rears spun. That's because the fronts would only contribute if the locked rear wheels were spinning, which again chewed up the ground. Not until the rears spun 20% faster than ground speed do the front even engage. So I could be traveling 20 mph up a slippery grade in 4wd with the front wheels turning 20mph and the rears are spinning 24mph. Another scenario this system caused a bit of a problem was in snow that was deep enough that 2wd wasn't enough. Again to engage 4wd it first locks the rear, now I'm traveling on the road in 6" of snow at 25mph with the rear end fishtailing because the locked rear wheels are spinning 30mph. Seemed like I was always chewing up the ground anytime I needed more than turf mode.

I believe the 4WD system in the Kawasaki Teryx you are considering operates the same as my current and past Mule. You have 2WD which is rear wheel drive open differential. This is same as the Polaris turf mode and is what I use probably 80% of the time. Beyond that there are two separate switches, one for 4wd the other is rear differential lock, either can be used independent of the other, I almost never need differential lock. In 4wd both front and rear wheels turn the same speed so all four pull together, no spinning rear wheels. And since the rear dif is left unlocked (other than some extreme condition) no chewing up on turns either.

Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
If yours is a 4-seater I'm going to assume it is a Pioneer 700.

You Sir are correct, my mistake and I do know the difference. Big Grin

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I was actually looking at the Teryx and found out you could buy the Kawasaki warranty cheaper online than at the dealer. I ended up not getting one and keeping my Brute Force 650. The guy I bought it from had already dumped a few thousand into it with lift kit, mud tires, led lights and other stuff. Plus I didn't want to have to buy a new trailer since my current one is just big enough for my atv. I do all my own maintenance so I'm not worried about a relationship with a dealer that will charge me out the nose for service. I can do everything I need on my atv and I have - rebuilt and rejected carbs, adjusted valves, change out cvt belt, add EPI clutch etc.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post