SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember the Stories About Earth being Flat - and Unbelievers were Heckled?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remember the Stories About Earth being Flat - and Unbelievers were Heckled? Login/Join 
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Actually some scientist are now changing their minds again from thinking the universe is flat and endless; to now thinking the universe is round like a bubble that is expanding like a balloon. That if you travel one way, eventually you would arrive at the same place.

My question to all the flat earthers is with all our technology why has not the EDGE of the flat Earth been found or even shown ??? God Bless Smile
The bubble theory seems to be the model du jour. You can't ever escape the bubble, because the closer you get to the edge the more circular your path becomes until you are moving along the outside, unable to venture further from the center.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Whatever shape the universe is, there is nothing outside of it. Not nothing as in empty space that might be filled someday, but nothing in the sense of no-space, no-time, no-nothing. In essence the universe is, by definition, all that there is. You cannot leave it.

Whose definition? Therein lies the crux.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever shape the universe is, there is nothing outside of it. Not nothing as in empty space that might be filled someday, but nothing in the sense of no-space, no-time, no-nothing. In essence the universe is, by definition, all that there is. You cannot leave it.

This concept fascinates me.
Suppose you went out to the "edge" or furthestmost position of the universe and then pushed your spacecraft a little bit further out. I suppose that, by definition, you were still "in" the universe, and it had expanded a little ?
And I suppose that by virtue of the fields surrounding all matter, the universe has already expanded out a little beyond wherever you go, no matter how far out ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:

Suppose you went out to the "edge" or furthestmost position of the universe and then pushed your spacecraft a little bit further out. I suppose that, by definition, you were still "in" the universe, and it had expanded a little ?
And I suppose that by virtue of the fields surrounding all matter, the universe has already expanded out a little beyond wherever you go, no matter how far out ?

My grasp of theoretical physics and cosmology aren't that strong, but I don't think you can approach the edge - stuff is weird out there where the universe is still expanding at a high rate.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the mysteries, as I have read, is that the rate of expansion is actually accelerating, rather than decelerating as one would expect if matter was "exploded" outward.
The center of mass of any system always remains at the center, and the gravitational force, acting as if from the center of mass, should be pulling things back inward...decelerating them. Instead the universe is getting bigger even faster!
I agree that "weird stuff" is happening out there.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

posted Hide Post
I am convinced that we (humans) will never have the real answer. It is so far beyond our level of understanding and the scope is so huge that it is beyond any scientific or religious explanation. Working on it for a few hundred or thousand more years won't get us any closer.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

My grasp of theoretical physics and cosmology aren't that strong, but I don't think you can approach the edge - stuff is weird out there where the universe is still expanding at a high rate.

Good point. And what if you do reach the edge, what's on the other side?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
- stuff is weird out there..

That's as good a theory as any!

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point. And what if you do reach the edge, what's on the other side?

There is no "other side." It isn't just something else or a void - it is no-thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Maximillian!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/KZWttTwPl_Y

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
My freshman physics prof told a joke that is the only thing I remember about physics except to never become a physician.
to wit:

In a physics class a prof told the class that the universe although infinite in space was not infinite in time and calculations at the time estimated that it would wink out of exisistence in about 300 billion years.

A freshman leaped out of his desk in near hysteria, yelling at the class "don't you all understand? We are all going to die. How can you just sit there?

The prof told him to calm down, everything would be alright, and it was 300 billion years off anyway.

The kid, visibly relieved, sat down and said. Oh thank goodness, I thought you said 300 MILLION.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it's not infinite, then it stops somewhere. What is beyond where it stops?

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Good point. I don't think anyone can answer that from firsthand knowledge. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
quote:

Good point. I don't think anyone can answer that from firsthand knowledge. Smile

It blows my mind to think about it though. We have no idea where we are.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The biggest question is what exists outside of our expanding universe. Mind boggling.

What if our universe is but one bubble in an endless space filled with universes. Some might be like ours but others might be very different with things so strange we wouldn't know what we're looking at. Of course the distances we're talking about I'm not sure our mathematics even have a number to describe it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The way I understand it, not necessarily accurately, but the way that makes sense to me, is a Zen-Buddhist related concept:

The "universe" is everything. Literally every THING. But "thing" includes every particle, every electromagnetic wave, and every field of every kind.

The "outside" of the universe is no-thing, which is, by definition, "nothing". But it is a void...a void of literal nothingness.
"Void" is a word we use to describe "nothing", but it is not another "thing" called "void". It has no boundary, because it is nothing.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You and your Newtonian, 3 dimensional thinking. There is no thing, no space, and no time outside the universe. There is no "outside the universe."

Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless our universe is part of a multiverse. Wink

ETA:
The Universe is "locally" flat, much like the Earth is. IOW it takes a great distance on the Earth to perceive it's curvature. It's the same with the Universe.

When saying the Universe is round, it's more correct to say it's closed. That meaning if you travel far enough in a fixed direction, you will end up at the point you started at. There are shapes, other than spheres, upon who's surfaces you can do this. For example, a torus (donut shape).

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys are pondering the unanswerable. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you realize you can't ever know the truth of it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post