SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember the Stories About Earth being Flat - and Unbelievers were Heckled?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Remember the Stories About Earth being Flat - and Unbelievers were Heckled? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Common knowledge then was a person would "fall off the end of the Earth" and Earth was the center of the universe.

So why do those smarter than all here still believe the universe is "forever" and not round?

And if it were round, could those stars we see be our sun?

A theory of Einstein is the universe is not "flat." (ie, "forever")

And Einstein's theory's have yet to be proven wrong. Wink

There is only one way to prove this wrong. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I do believe that the universe is round and that there is an end to it.

What blows my mind after a few drinks and while staring up at the night sky, is what is beyond our universe? Is it all just wrapped up in a big box? If so, what's outside of the box and where does that end? What's outside of that? Etc....

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I do believe that the universe is round and that there is an end to it.

What blows my mind after a few drinks and while staring up at the night sky, is what is beyond our universe? Is it all just wrapped up in a big box? If so, what's outside of the box and where does that end? What's outside of that? Etc....

You need to watch Animal House and wait until the Donald's ideas are realized by Flounder's cohort.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
You see, our world is a large flat disc. It is traveling through time and space on the shoulders of four elephants who are in turn standing on the shell of Great A'tuin, the sea turtle swimming through space.

Some speculate the turtle is heading towards other worlds to mate. Hence, "The Big Bang" theory.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
You see, our world is a large flat disc. It is traveling through time and space on the shoulders of four elephants who are in turn standing on the shell of Great A'tuin, the sea turtle swimming through space.

Some speculate the turtle is heading towards other worlds to mate. Hence, "The Big Bang" theory.

Religion, this soon?

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Religion, this soon?

I said "theory". That means you have to prove it wrong. Wink

I was expecting you to ask, "What is the turtle standing on?"

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Turtles. It’s turtles all the way down.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Religion, this soon?

I said "theory". That means you have to prove it wrong. Wink

Isn't that the congregation Hank Johnson and Maxine Waters belong to?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually some scientist are now changing their minds again from thinking the universe is flat and endless; to now thinking the universe is round like a bubble that is expanding like a balloon. That if you travel one way, eventually you would arrive at the same place.

My question to all the flat earthers is with all our technology why has not the EDGE of the flat Earth been found or even shown ??? God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Those whacky scientists. "There's probably life elsewhere in the universe, but it could never travel and make it here." Because obviously everyone else will be as stupid as we are. Wink

I heard an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson once and lost all respect for him. He believes you're born and die and that's it. Here for just a blip. Now I don't believe in the traditional simple heaven/afterlife story, but to me, to not even entertain the idea all while believing that the universe is infinite is just staggering. That's like standing in one spot, looking around and saying "See there, north and south? That goes on and on forever and ever. But see east and west, that only goes for as far as you can see."

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
It is settled science. 98% of the biologists and oceanographers agree that the Big Bang Theory was funny until people started getting married and having babies. And there is a cool looking movie about some old white dude with a fro coming out - somebody at crossfit said he was smart or something.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
It's the puffer fish, isn't it?

(Side Note; not having been proven wrong, doesn't automatically infer correctness)

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:

If it were a box I'd bet dollars to donuts it would already be occupied by a cat! Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I believe the universe is generally round - but what boggles my mind and the question that no one has ever given a satisfactory answer to is if the universe is finite, what is outside of it.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:

If it were a box I'd bet dollars to donuts it would already be occupied by a cat! Smile

And not occupied by a cat at the same time.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy has a cat named.... Shrodinger!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post

It's just a trinket hanging around that cat's neck.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:...

And if it were round, could those stars we see be
our sun?

It is round.

The universe is a giant disco ball, with a wazzillion (that's a bunch) tiny mirrors on the inside surface.

There is only our solor system, and all the stars are reflections of our sun, planets and moons.

Some of the mirrors have streaks from the original cleaning, so that is why we see those glaxies and stuff, they are smears and reflections of smears.

Once this is understood as the reson, it all makes sense.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Whatever shape the universe is, there is nothing outside of it. Not nothing as in empty space that might be filled someday, but nothing in the sense of no-space, no-time, no-nothing. In essence the universe is, by definition, all that there is. You cannot leave it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Turtles. It’s turtles all the way down.

Big Grin Perfect