SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When your range changes some rules, got a call from the board
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When your range changes some rules, got a call from the board Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
Been a member of my shooting range since 2014. It's a nice, small place, limited membership numbers and nice and close to me.

I haven't really been there a lot over the years and it's been a couple years since I last went shooting.

I finished building a new toy a while back and was able to get some time a couple weeks ago to try it out. One of my neighbors has mentioned a couple times about possibly applying for membership but has never actually been there, and his wife and son wanted to do some shooting so I figured it was a good opportunity for them to see the place and invited them along.

Their were 5 or 6 other people shooting and conveniently happened to call cold range shortly after we pulled in. So I hurried to get targets out so as to not hold up anyone else longer than necessary. This was where the first "hiccup" pops up.

Shooting on the 25/50 range, the rule is no targets closer than 25. No problem, I usually set up around 30ish yards. The guy next to us started hollering saying targets need to be at 25 or 50 only, not between. Not that I was aware of but whatever... set one at 25 and one at 50.

Second hiccup, several benches had been moved off the line for a previous club event. No benches in line where the targets were set so we moved one back up to the line to use.

Third hiccup, only two guests allowed at one time. I had three but only two actually shooting.

Also the guy was hollering about one of my guests being over the line while shooting. He was not, just close to it without using a bench.

So the phone call from a board member....

He wanted to inform me about a complaint that was filed against me regarding the breaking of "multiple" club rules. Apparently moving benches is not allowed, only two guests not three, guest being over the line, improper placement of targets and also mentioned I apparently forgot to sign in. I think their was one or two other things but can't remember at the moment.

We talked for about 20 minutes to clear up things and he was quite happy with everything at the end of the call but mentioned that it will need to be discussed at the next board meeting. I didn't need to be there but will be going anyway. As far as the "broken" rules, only two are actually valid as far as I can tell, the guest number and signing in. Technically moving the bench is as well BUT that was actually a rule change a couple years ago that I was not aware of. Weather that will make a difference or not is unknown.

He was also understanding with the guests being only two were actually shooting but it is still a rule and is one of the things that needs to be discussed. He even mentioned that he didn't even know if the target location thing was actually a rule or not.

I did look and download the latest club rules and did see the no moving of benches, no mention of target placement other than no closer than 25 yards, and no mention of a minimum distance from the shooting line, just not on or in front of it. Forgetting to sign in is on me, no excuse really other than being "rushed" to get targets up and just straight forgot.

As for "punishment", he mentioned if anything at all it would at most be a three month probation which is nothing more that not being allowed to bring any guests for three months. I would have no issues at all with that, it would probably be longer than that before I would actually get back to shoot anyway.

The moral of the story being, keep up with yer club info and any changes to things. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PakRatJR,

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
There always seems to be "that" guy that loves to gnaw on ya. My wife and I shoot at my sportsman's club range, usually on Sunday mornings. On the weekends shooting doesn't start till 10AM so as to be considerate of neighbors. A few weeks ago we got there about 9:45 and were unloading the truck walking up to the shooting shelter. A guy came chasing us telling us we had to have our ear pro on in case someone was shooting. He was pretty much a total dick about it too. As we donned out ear pro I politely told him that it wasn't 10 yet so there shouldn't be anyone shooting.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addtion to posted rules, my club sends weekly emails of events and any new rules.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also the guy was hollering about one of my guests being over the line.........

Mark it a Zero!!

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Gun clubs can become their own little kingdoms. Boards tend to become the party of “no” unless it’s their idea. I really hate gun clubs for that reason. It becomes “who you know” and “who you are”. Much like school boards, they become less about the members and or safety and more about feeding the machine.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Homeowners associations, Parent-Teacher associations, and Gun Clubs. They bring out the rule Nazis in droves.

I remember the day when all of this was supposed to be for fun. Rules would be quoted in support of others, not in the attack of others.

Funny how elementary school hall monitors never outgrow that vocation.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Do they wear checked pants and sip drinks with a pinky erect? Sheesh!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:

Homeowners associations, Parent-Teacher associations, and Gun Clubs. They bring out the rule Nazis in droves.
Our Little Airport, too.

Seems like any time there is a "ruling class" you get this type of shit.

I can't think of an answer other than term limits.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
We used to teach at a smallish range in NC. We taught a BUNCH of classes there over the years. Usually 20 or so students at $20 per head per day for 3 days. Then they wanted $25 per day per head and the brass. Then they wanted the instructors to pay range fees. Then they wanted that and 50 per cent of the class fees.

We haven’t been back since. Our contact there says management has run off about half the members, and there are no longer classes that are being taught there.

Except for the ones management (the board) teaches.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
My home club updates and modifies some rules and procedures. In the past they didn't do a great job with getting that info out to the membership.

These days the Board and staff has done a lot to update and improve communications of any changes. Rare that there's an issue. At times mistakes are made and they are addressed. Rarely are they intentional. New members are usually appreciative of the advice. We don't tolerate bullying or a attitude that looks down at members.

These days we get a lot of new shooters with little to no experience and they need guidance to safely enjoy their time at the club. The fact we have never had any serious injury is testament to it being well run.

The biggest problem with running a gun club and keeping it solvent is that many want to voice their opinion and dismay but few if any step up to assist in those activities that are needed to keep the club from folding.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
We used to teach at a smallish range in NC. We taught a BUNCH of classes there over the years. Usually 20 or so students at $20 per head per day for 3 days. Then they wanted $25 per day per head and the brass. Then they wanted the instructors to pay range fees. Then they wanted that and 50 per cent of the class fees.

We haven’t been back since. Our contact there says management has run off about half the members, and there are no longer classes that are being taught there.

Except for the ones management (the board) teaches.

We have events similar to that involving classes or quals for local agencies.

It was the membership themselves that stopped a lot of it. The attitude was that they were paying members and when they wanted to shoot finding ranges occupied by nonmembership irritated them.

For the most part it's now handled by those events taking place midweek. The exception is the NRA classes held that does occupy the indoor range. But it's accepted by the fact it's a way to educate the new shooter. Hard to whine about the mistakes they make and not afford them the chance to get educated.

Can't say for sure but these days I think there is a flat fee to use the facilities. But I've never seen the instruction go for 20 a head. Great that you provide it and make it so accessible.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a place I wouldn't be a member of. Whether it was the only place I could shoot at or not. Screw that piddly range nazi bullshit Roll Eyes

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
One of our past club officers was a city cop. The club lane is posted 10mph because of gravel dust. He sat there one day in his cruiser (way out of city limits) running radar on club members! At my other club I shot some eggs with my (at that time young) daughter to show her what bullets will do. I get a call from the club president that someone complained that I didn't pick up the egg shells! Told him that was stupid and they would be consumed by nature in short order which he agreed with.
As said above people that never held any authority over others can be little Nazi's!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Every. Single. Time. I read a "range rant" (or damn near ANY range-related post) it reinforces my decision NEVER to have anything to do with a range or gun club.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

I've never seen the instruction go for 20 a head. Great that you provide it and make it so accessible.
I think that you mis-read something. The instruction goes for a LOT more than twenty bucks. The range fee of $20.00 is in addition to the instruction.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Every. Single. Time. I read a "range rant" (or damn near ANY range-related post) it reinforces my decision NEVER to have anything to do with a range or gun club.

I am on the board of my range. I can say the same thing from a board perspective.
We are an all volunteer run range. One range is open to the public on a schedule run by volunteer rangemasters. There are 5 other ranges for members only. Typically 10% of the membership volunteers. If we are lucky.

Sayings that fit a lot of situations at the range:
We have always done it that way
Too many rules
Rules nazis
I don't care
Not my job
Why don't you do this (for Me)
Can't fix stupid
Liability

You get the idea I'm sure

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@Hamden106 - Oh, I totally understand. I've been a club officer (motorcycle) before and its at least as much of a pain in the ass from that side of the table.

I haven't joined anything in years for just that reason.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Range Rule #1 should be: Leave your damn ego at the gate.

30 years or so ago I was on a board for a couple of years at a trap and skeet club, with a group of board members who were really committed to making improvements to the range. As a cop I had seen plenty stupidity on the street. But I quickly became disillusioned by some of the thick headed, ignorant behavior of some of our club members. I kept thinking, for goodness sake, we are all here for the same thing, but some of those folks showed up perpetually pissed off about something and could not be reasoned with. A couple years back I was asked to sit on the board of a local range, and my response was, "Hell no! Some of these people are my friends".

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have been on/off my range board for close to 10 years now. We were on the committee to re-write the the By-Laws and SOP when they came due.

We try our best to balance covering Range safety and still allow "fun" so we don't have rules like "No rapid firing" instead we use "all rounds must impact the berm (no floor impacts, no missed impacts)".

I've been called out for shooting too fast by some members, and have asked them where the rule is... only to be met with silence. I've been threatened with "reporting me to Board" only for me to reply with "I'll be glad to address it, I call the meeting to order at 6:30, please don't be late" Smile

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
That sounds like a place I wouldn't be a member of. Whether it was the only place I could shoot at or not. Screw that piddly range nazi bullshit Roll Eyes

I recently let my membership at a local outdoor range lapse after 16 years of membership.

Why? They got a new Range Manager who doesn't have the slightest idea how to run a range and he's killing the place.

The biggest case in point is that he's trained the Range Officers to escalate situations instead of deescalating them. Amazing but true.

He also decided that his rules superseded Federal Law and that's where he and I clashed.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post