SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When your range changes some rules, got a call from the board
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When your range changes some rules, got a call from the board Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I stopped going to our local recreational center’s indoor gun range because the people running it don’t know what they are doing. It’s an older range and by design it is limited to 44 mag. That’s fine but I got tired of employees kicking me off the range because my PCC chambered in .40 S&W “Exceeds the range’s specifications.” The first time, this happened, I spent a significant amount of time gathering data from a variety of ammo and PCC manufacturers regarding the ballistics of a PCC chambered in .40 S&W vs. a 44 mag. I then compiled the data into a letter with a summary of the data and included the original information and sent it to the director of the rec center asking him/her to talk with the range master.

Unfortunately, I had to repeat the process a couple of more times before I finally gave up and stopped going. It seems like either the employees can’t read or they replace them so often that they don’t know about the policies regarding PCC.

What bothered me so much was not the lack of competency but the rude arrogant attitudes. Rather than approaching me and saying “Sir, the range is limited to 44 mag. I’m not sure if your .40 S&W PCC is compliant or not. Would you mind not shooting it today and let’s look into the ballistics. Here is my contact information, could we talk.” Instead of that, you get treated like a criminal trying to burn the place down.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Dorks and Fiefdoms ruin most things, usually under the thinly veiled guise of Safety and general Rules.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I stopped going to our local recreational center’s indoor gun range because the people running it don’t know what they are doing. It’s an older range and by design it is limited to 44 mag. That’s fine but I got tired of employees kicking me off the range because my PCC chambered in .40 S&W “Exceeds the range’s specifications.” The first time, this happened, I spent a significant amount of time gathering data from a variety of ammo and PCC manufacturers regarding the ballistics of a PCC chambered in .40 S&W vs. a 44 mag. I then compiled the data into a letter with a summary of the data and included the original information and sent it to the director of the rec center asking him/her to talk with the range master.

Unfortunately, I had to repeat the process a couple of more times before I finally gave up and stopped going. It seems like either the employees can’t read or they replace them so often that they don’t know about the policies regarding PCC.

What bothered me so much was not the lack of competency but the rude arrogant attitudes. Rather than approaching me and saying “Sir, the range is limited to 44 mag. I’m not sure if your .40 S&W PCC is compliant or not. Would you mind not shooting it today and let’s look into the ballistics. Here is my contact information, could we talk.” Instead of that, you get treated like a criminal trying to burn the place down.
I'm not familiar with "PCC" but is it even possible for a .40S&W to approach the power of a typical .44Mag?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PCC=Pistol Caliber Carbine

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Rules would be quoted in support of others, not in the attack of others.

H&K-Guy

I think this is the heart of the matter.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I'm not familiar with "PCC" but is it even possible for a .40S&W to approach the power of a typical .44Mag?

flashguy

^^^

No. Not event close to the ballistics of a 44Mag But the 16” barrel was throwing them off. They seemed to think the extra 12” would turn my PCC into some sort of wonder blaster.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
No. Not event close to the ballistics of a 44Mag But the 16” barrel was throwing them off. They seemed to think the extra 12” would turn my PCC into some sort of wonder blaster.

LOL. My son, friend and his family went to an outdoor range on Saturday. None of us had ever been there. I could tell within 3 minutes I wouldn't like the place and by the time we all left, we were all pissed off (and will never go back.)

I had brought my UMP and didn't even take it out of the bag because I figured the range nazi who was watching us wouldn't understand the ballistics of a 45 ACP and how it would be fine on their pistol range.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Gun clubs can become their own little kingdoms. Boards tend to become the party of “no” unless it’s their idea. I really hate gun clubs for that reason. It becomes “who you know” and “who you are”. Much like school boards, they become less about the members and or safety and more about feeding the machine.

Amen, and it applies to any small group run by a cabal like that.

And the members are a pain in the ass, too, because they get all proprietary about
"my" range, and "I pay my dues."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Gun clubs can become their own little kingdoms. Boards tend to become the party of “no” unless it’s their idea. I really hate gun clubs for that reason. It becomes “who you know” and “who you are”. Much like school boards, they become less about the members and or safety and more about feeding the machine.

Amen, and it applies to any small group run by a cabal like that.

And the members are a pain in the ass, too, because they get all proprietary about
"my" range, and "I pay my dues."

The best outdoor ranges are the ones that are owned by one person and run by that same person. They could also be the worst, but in my experience, they seldom are.

I was once Vice President and Public Relations Officer for a Ham Radio club for over 20 years. It worked well because Mrs. Flash was the president and she owned the 2 meter repeater and the 450 repeater the club used.

The absolute best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship assuming you've got the right tpe of dictator.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
So all it takes to get a member in trouble and punished is the word of another?

Unless the guy had a video, he would have needed to promptly fuck off. I would have politely told him as such since he wasn't a designated range officer. Hell, I wouldn't even be OK with an RSO "hollering" at me about anything.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I go to a range once in a while, safety officer, chamber flags, all the rest. I try to keep with the flow, not to bad to mind the rules.

My favorite places to shoot is our camp property & a sand pit a relative owns. The sand is great for brass collection.

Another place not bad is a range up north in a rural area, usually zero or one other shooter present.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Of the ranges that I have been to recently, one was absolutely horrible and two were great.

The really bad one is an indoor range at a gun store that is part of a small chain of stores owned by the same company here in Florida. The last couple times I was there (probably won't go back there to shoot), there was no RSO presence in the shooting area. Anybody could walk in off the street, plunk down some ID (driver license) and some cash, and head for the firing line. No supervision. I left because of unsafe conditions.

The other indoor range was really great. There's a Police Museum just off the causeway leading to Cape Canaveral. The guys who were staffing it when I was there were all retired cops. They were exceedingly polite and helpful. When I checked in, the guy asked my permission to examine my pistol, he checked it thoroughly with a light, and was all set to lube it for me if necessary (it wasn't, Bruce G had told us to "get some damn grease").

When shooting, there was a guy in the booth observing through a window, and another RSO roaming the firing line, two sets of eyes on the shooters. Not obnoxious, not nazi-like, but ready to step in politely and offer help, even some good tips. Best indoor range I've been to.

Outdoor range, the gun club that I belong to. RSO roaming around on a golf cart. There are a few RSOs, the range is open every day (closed Christmas). They are well trained by the senior RSO, they are not intrusive, but they will step in and politely discuss any safety concerns.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I really like my private range. I'd pay a lot more than I do to keep my membership there. I just wish we'd restrict the number of members...

I nearly never shoot with anyone else. SOME club members have started to self-impose the chamber flag nonsense, and keep attempting to get it put into the rules. One of our only really odd rules, is that you cannot bring or remove cased guns on a cold range. You have to bring cases to the firing line in a hot range, uncase them and set them up, then wait for a cold range to setup targets (obviously that part is just fine). But when leaving...same thing. Hot range to handle and case your weapons, and walk them back to your vehicle.

It's probably not a big deal, and probably makes sense for a busy range I suppose, but it makes for an awkward moment with people potentially waiting for a spot to shoot.

I just leave if anyone else is there. If I can't find a private bay to shoot at, I wait for another day.

Usually I have the place to myself all winter if I go in the middle of the week. Also...we have a 1,000+ yard range with steel targets to plink at. I'd pay $1,000 a year if we'd limit membership. I might even pay more, we have heated shoot houses to shoot from.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I got written up once because I just signed in with my last name. It is not a common name and I am the only one in the club with that name. The 2nd time was for bringing along the owner of the LGS. He had been a member for many years and made donations to the club, but let his membership lapse. He came with me to get re-upped.

Apparently there is a bylaw that says previous members can not come as guests.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Update on things. Had my meeting with "the Bobs". Razz

Verdict, 6 month probation no guests and a "recommendation" that I attend the next new members meeting/orientation.

Apparently a couple more things have changed over the years that I was not aware of. The target location on the 25/50 being one of them, even tho it's not written it is apparently a rule now and is discussed at the new member orientation. Along with the no moving of benches and apparently no sitting on them eather. It was mentioned that one of my guests was seen sitting on a unused bench for a couple minutes at some point, was not seen by me, and two guests not three regardless of the "reason" or if only two are actually shooting.

Oh well, I can still carry on as usual otherwise, which is just fine. I don't know when I will be getting to go and shoot more anyway and don't really have anyone else for "guests" anyway Smile

Also the person that was doing the hollering and reported me was another member. Their isn't a RSO at all. It's just a "police yerself" type place.

I had actually thought about doing the new member orientation again on my own anyway due to the apparently numerous changes and I had actually mentioned that at the meeting. Don't know if it made a difference or not but whatever Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
We had some retired guys with nothing Better to do constantly harass every person there with some sort of violation. I pretty much told them to go bother someone else.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

One of our only really odd rules, is that you cannot bring or remove cased guns on a cold range. You have to bring cases to the firing line in a hot range, uncase them and set them up, then wait for a cold range to setup targets (obviously that part is just fine). But when leaving...same thing. Hot range to handle and case your weapons, and walk them back to your vehicle.

It's probably not a big deal, and probably makes sense for a busy range I suppose, but it makes for an awkward moment with people potentially waiting for a spot to shoot.
Our club has the same rule. No touching a firearm for any reason, including casing / uncasing, when the range is cold. Reason: Cold range, people can be downrange setting up targets, etc., so no touching a firearm if people can be downrange.

It's perfectly OK to do things like load magazines as long as you do not touch the gun.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update on things. Had my meeting with "the Bobs".

Excellent bobiverse reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post