SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video: Helicopter hunter-killer teams of the Vietnam War: OH-6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video: Helicopter hunter-killer teams of the Vietnam War: OH-6 Login/Join 
posted
I hope this isn't a repost. Veterans are one of the things make me very proud to be an American.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I had not seen this.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Quite the video. Opened at least a dozen tabs while watching to search about what those pilots were discussing. Plenty of reading for me over the next couple days.

thanks,

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
.. Thank you for the support from above... God bless our troops be they past /present / or future. .. drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Charlie don’t surf

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read a few books about chopper pilots in Vietnam.
All very good reads.
If anyone is interested,
Guts'N Gunships by Mark Garrison
Gunship Pilot by Robert Hartley and
Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills who flew OH-6 little birds.
Plan on rereading them soon.
Brave souls to hover over combat zones while dozens of enemies
are shooting at you. Get shot down, rescued, and back in action
the same day.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another excellent book is- Maverick: The Personal War Of A Vietnam Cobra Pilot. It tells the story of the evolution of attack helicopters from the very beginnings. Highly recommended it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to send this to a former coworker. He was a Loach pilot in Vietnam. He got a Silver Star during that time.

Posts: 491 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Another excellent book is- Maverick: The Personal War Of A Vietnam Cobra Pilot. It tells the story of the evolution of attack helicopters from the very beginnings. Highly recommended it.

Thanks. I'll look that up.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
I'll add another great book: "The Saigon Guns: A true story of aerial combat in the fall in 1972." by John Thomas Hoffman. He also arrested J. Fonda at Ft. Hood, TX.

Under Construction

Posts: 362 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
What an amazing story. A former Scoutmaster and Eagle in my troop had an older brother that was a Cobra pilot in Nam. He never talked about it but did say once that more pilots in his unit were injured or killed coming back from missions hot-dogging than were taken down by enemy fire.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37959 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I've got a customer that was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. I only see him once or twice a year but I get to hear stories occasionally.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Bookmarking this thread for later.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
W0W - Thanks for the post-tremendous piece.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
BALLS! Big Brass Balls.

I worked with a Vietnam era rotorhead. He was a true man.

Thanks for the video.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
I had a recently deceased friend who was a Huey pilot in Vietnam, stayed in the reserves until retirement, and was a commercial airline pilot for a regional carrier. He talked a lot about his time in the Army but very little about his time in Vietnam.

If you wanted to get him fired up, just mention "that Bitch"
quote:
Originally posted by B92F:
J. Fonda
and sit back to watch the fireworks.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post