SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Phone question (alarm?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Phone question (alarm?) Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted
Yesterday while at the house nice and quiet with the dogs, this piercing sound starts. It sounded like a fire alarm going off.

The dogs are not happy at all with this.

So I proceed to go around the house checking fire alarms and the co alarm, nothing.

Come to find out it's the phone ???
There was not alarm set or anything. It just happened.

Any ideas guys?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I get that with certain alerts that are "pushed" to my phone: severe weather warning, amber alert, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Amber Alert would be my guess. I used to get 'em on my Android phone. I turned 'em off. They're over-used and abused, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Amber Alert would be my guess. I used to get 'em on my Android phone. I turned 'em off. They're over-used and abused, IMO.
Yeah, not selective enough. I get them from areas that are couple hundred miles away from where I am.

With location services available, it seems as if these could be filtered so that the raucous alarm would not be sounded unless geographically relevant.

Of course I'm asking a lot: logical action from a government bureaucracy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Amber alert likely.

It can be disabled...

http://www.imore.com/amber-ale...-and-how-manage-them

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10953 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I think you can disable the Amber alerts, but not the Weather alerts. Getting one of those at 2 am is a real shocker.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Yeah, not selective enough. I get them from areas that are couple hundred miles away from where I am.

With location services available, it seems as if these could be filtered so that the raucous alarm would not be sounded unless geographically relevant.

Of course I'm asking a lot: logical action from a government bureaucracy.

*nod* It's like the weather radios. They added geographical selectivity to those, too. We still get alerts that have no bearing on us whatsoever. E.g.: Smallcraft warnings for the lake over an hour east of us--at 2 o'clock in the morning.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen at work last week. Have no idea what it was, but it caused a ruckus in the office.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The weirdest part is it's the first time anything like this happened.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you describe the ruckus? Smile

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
My son's iPhone did that recently also. I don't think it was an amber alert, my phone didn't go off and I also have an iPhone. It was loud, like a smoke detector.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of days ago. It was NOT an amber alert, I know what those sound like. It was an ad from one of the free apps I was using. This sounded identical to my smoke detector, to the point I was checking them, before my phone.

Posts: 2019 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I was at a gun show when an amber alert was issued. Dozens and dozens of phones went off across the convention floor. It was a bit creepy...as if the mother ship was calling everyone home.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That was probably an "Emergency Alert", similar to but different from an Amber alert. You can toggle it off the same way.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
kkina, lol, I misread your posted image...thought it said "Snitcher" right above "AmericanLawyer"..... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
That was probably an "Emergency Alert", similar to but different from an Amber alert. You can toggle it off the same way.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4337 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
kkina, lol, I misread your posted image...thought it said "Snitcher" right above "AmericanLawyer"..... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Hah! It's not even my iPhone.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16387 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A year ago, I was home shopping in Houston when Houston was having the flooding that made national news. I was dining after a long day of house shopping, and the dozens and dozens of alarms go off in the restaurant. It was another flash flood warning, and the alarm was on iPhones.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Check any weather app's you have too for alerts.

Posts: 9544 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
There was nothing open on my phone and the screen was locked at the time. I first thought it was the building fire alarm, then thought it was the low power alarm on my computer back up battery. Several people came down the hall wondering what was going on. It stopped as soon as I unlocked and opened my phone and there were no alerts, etc. Very loud and very strange.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OP, can you check your phone for alerts about the time the alarm went off? Pull down the Notification Center by swiping down from the top.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."