SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Personally Identifying Information On Vanity Plate?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personally Identifying Information On Vanity Plate? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I'm thinking of getting a personalized tag for my new-to-me Jeep. One of the possibilities I've entertained is one that includes my nickname. (Shortened form of my given name.)

But it occurs to me that's giving out information random people should not have. Or leaving me open to somebody with ill intent walking up and saying "Hi Bob," as a way to temporarily confuse/disarm me.

Am I being paranoid?

Question:
Personally identifying information as part of personalized license plate: Yea or nay?

Choices:
I don't think it's a serious threat. Go for it.
I think it unwise. I would advise against it.
I like ponies.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Unless you put your social security number on there...

Some paranoia is a good thing.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I voted "not a serious threat", that said I do think it's a bit of a "look at me" statement when men have their name/nickname on a license plate. Less so for women, yet still don't like it altogether. I tend to shy towards the specialty plates with a normal alphanumeric combo on them, some cause that I support or believe in.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Vanity plates in general are a bad idea. Vanity plates that reveal personal information are even worse.

The logic behind this is the same as that behind not putting bumper stickers, NRA decals, etc. on your car. Why tempt fate? What good will come of it?

Be the grey man.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have them on my classic cars, but they already have lots of attention, but my daily driver sports regular tag.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have no body to empress ,I do however have gunstickers and political shit on my old 1989 ford van.
Need it around my hood just so the thugs are aware of and old man with a good aim and an old gun

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
!!!!LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!!

<Pass on Vanity Plates on anything but the most spectacular ride>

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't, not on a daily driver, or other regular personal vehicle. It takes it from 1 in Many other Jeeps to That Jeep, at a glance. Unless that's what you want, the attention.

Nothing wrong with it, if standing out doesn't matter.

I'd rather not, too many weirdos out there.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I dropped the ham radio plates on my car when on-line ham "callbooks" like qrz.com popped up.

I was okay with them before that since it was not as easy to trace a callsign to an address / name.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You should get BR549. Nothing personal there.

I wonder how many are familiar with BR549.

Posts: 11855 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
"I'M DICK". The ladies will surely love it.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or leaving me open to somebody with ill intent walking up and saying "Hi Bob," as a way to temporarily confuse/disarm me.

Spell Bob backwards. That way your name won't be readily apparent and will confuse them. Razz

How many letters are allowed on your plate? Maybe a shortened form of your forum name, "ENSGMTC," or "NSGMTC?" I too don't see much reason to get overly personal with a personalized plate, as odd as that might sound.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My Father-in-Law always had a vanity plate with his last name on it until he passed last year.
He never had any problems.

Personally, I just can't see giving the State extra money for something like that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

That was the phone number for the used car lot of Junior Samples. Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I can find your address, real name, and phone number by googling your email address....

I wouldn't be worried about your plate.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does make it easy for the police to remember.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I loved that show. Music, proto Daisy Dukes, and Comedy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a friend/co-worker, Tiffany. She had a vanity plate, TIFF. She liked to go country dancing, but her boyfriend did not. She got rid of the vanity plate when some dude was waiting for her by her car one night at a bar.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to stand out from the crowd.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post