SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canoe carriers vs kayak carriers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canoe carriers vs kayak carriers Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Each summer I say I'm going to buy a kayak, and each summer I procrastinate long enough to not actually do it.

This year a friend of mine is after me to actually do it. I'm way tempted. So then comes the thought of carrying it around.

I spent a while last evening looking at kayak carriers and ended up on etrailer.com. Something I've noticed, now that I think about it, is that the kayaks I see on tops of vehicles are often "standing up" on their sides, whereas canoes are simply upside down on the bars. Surfing etrailer.com for a bit, I saw a a bunch of the J-shaped kayak carriers and that sort of supports my observation.

So naturally, I've got questions. Is it preferable to transport a kayak on its side? And why? What's the rationale for not simply putting it upside down on the bars like a canoe? What other questions have I not even thought to ask?

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think it depends somewhat on what type of kayak you buy - sit on top vs inside, for example. SOTs, I think, are more structurally sturdy. However, that being said, heat is a factor here - if the kayak is going to sit in the rack under the hot sun for extended period, I think it's better to have the kaya sitting on it's side rather than the bottom. The bottom will develop humps at contact points that may affect the way it tracks.

I have both wing and J type carriers. The J carriers are necessary to carry 2 kayaks for me. I'm a bit space constrained in width to carry 2 kayaks side by side in wing carriers. But it depends on what vehicle you have and what size kayaks you have. A trailer offers more flexibility and options.

My set up right now is:

1) on vehicle: (was wing but now J)
https://maloneautoracks.com/Downloader-TM.html

2) trailer: J carrier shared w/ vehicle. I mostly use the trailer now except for long multi night trips.

I have a Malone trailer but I would go a different route if I had to do it over again. I would get a utility trailer and the use the adapters (common for open bed trucks) and use that for the trailer. Then the trailer could double for utility as well as the kayaks. The Malone trailer is basically an expensive, dedicated kayak trailer.

I don't use the wing kayak carriers anymore.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12742 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I assumed on their side would be because you can carry two kayaks on a small roof. It may also be easier to get it up on it’s side. When I lift one from the ground over my head, I grab one side with my left hand, the opposite side with my right, then lift and flip it over my head. From there, it would be easy to flip it into a side carrier.

I’ve always done upside down to keep rain out on long trips, but most of the time I slide the into the bed of my truck with the tailgate down.

Posts: 10986 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
canoe or kayak I would consider a refurbing a jet ski trailer to carry and launch with. Especially for a larger fishing kayak like a hobie pro angler

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
heat is a factor here - if the kayak is going to sit in the rack under the hot sun for extended period, I think it's better to have the kaya sitting on it's side rather than the bottom. The bottom will develop humps at contact points that may affect the way it tracks.

Good point! I didn't think about that.

quote:
I have both wing and J type carriers.

Gosh, now I have to say I'm not sure what a wing type carrier is. More surfing to do.

quote:
A trailer offers more flexibility and options.

I think I remember following a thread of yours a while back in which you explored trailer options.

quote:
1) on vehicle: (was wing but now J)

Thank you for the link.

I've got a standard 5x10 utility trailer... that might be the easier plan, depending on put-in location.

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The thickest part of a SOT kayak is the deck section and if you are storing one on something like sawhorses you want to have it upside down.

Carrying one upside down on the roof is fine as long as the seat and anything mounted to the kayak does not interfere with it laying flat.

J brackets are nice because you can carry 2 kayaks, they provide very good contact point to provide stability when tied down properly, and the seat, track mounted items, or rod holder won't get in the way.

I use a bed extender on my pickup and just load the kayak in the bed sitting upright. Heavier or larger kayaks can need a trailer.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Here's the Downloader J carrier I'm using now. It allows for use of the Telos kayak load assist when the carriers are mounted to the top of the SUV; when the carriers are on the trailer, I just lift the kayaks directly into the carrier. Also, here is a link to the wing carrier (kayaks go on hull down) - can be used up on top of the SUV roof rack or on the trailer. But I just use the J carriers now - easier and also keeps the kayak weight more toward the center line of the car / trailer rather than above the wheels.

https://maloneautoracks.com/SeaWing-TM.html

https://maloneautoracks.com/Te...-Module-MPG3511.html

I used this to help load kayaks onto the wing carriers when mounted to the SUV roof rack. It's a task for the weak / elderly like me. Especially for the heavier SOT type kayaks; and more so for longer kayaks.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch...ino-Rack/RTL002.html

I try to get this stuff on sale or used on craigslist. The trailer was bought new - 2 days to assemble.

I'd use your utility trailer assuming you can mount the crossbars upon which to attach the carriers.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12742 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So naturally, I've got questions. Is it preferable to transport a kayak on its side? And why? What's the rationale for not simply putting it upside down on the bars like a canoe?

vthoky: I've wondered that myself.
The best reason I can think of is that if you transport a kayak on its side you can put two of them on the roof of an SUV.

But... I'm still a canoe guy.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24145 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Stores and other kayak people have recommended that I not transport / store kayaks on the hull as it may result in deformation, especially in the summer heat and/or longer durations. I actually had a dent in the hull once that I had to massage out.

But it probably varies by kayak type, model, etc. Some may be more susceptible than others.

https://www.wildernesssystems....i-transport-my-kayak

E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I usually carry my kayak right side up because of wind noise. If I'm driving in rain, I'll carry upside down.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4790 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
But... I'm still a canoe guy.

Eeee-yikes! I had my share of canoe-spilling years ago. I'm all about a nice, stable sit-on-top now.

I've been looking at these J-type carriers for a bit now. "Engineer head" has me wondering, "can I make one?" Big Grin

BTW, nice 4Runner!

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Drifting my own thread a little...

Anyone got experience with the Pelican Castaway 100?

God bless America.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience w/ that model. But seems somewhat similar to what I do have (10' Tarpon). [bought on sale; I think you just missed the REI annual sale for kayaks.]

https://www.wildernesssystems....yaks/tarpon-105-2020

I usually use a 12' Tarpon. The 10' is pretty agile. And is lighter and easier to get in/out of the water.

However, the 12' is faster with less effort. And also seems to handle waves better; more stable in non-flat water, especially when perpendicular to the wave fronts. Has more storage area when you're carrying picnic stuff. Mine has a rudder (which I usually don't use) but it can make for tight turns.

posted Hide Post
Ah, kayak season!
When people on this wonderful board ask a specific question about a gun, I don’t ever avoid the question and tell them to buy this model or that.
But kayaks are SO much better than canoes I will break that pattern and urge you to just get one! A sit in is much much more stable, very quick, allows you to handle waves, and to make speed. You’ll love it. Flame suit on.

And the previously mentioned Malone system to ratchet up a kayak onto a rooftop is really great. (Link from prior post below.) It is a simple, but unique solution to throwing a long kayak up onto a vehicle, and was a game changer for me.
But I know you said you had a trailer. A trailer is much handier if you have one, a truck bed extender may be even better, but still consider eventually getting a roof top carrier even with a trailer. Easier to whip around in tight spaces, and I’ve driven 1000’s of miles on road trips with mine on top, barely know it is there, no worry about a trailer trailing.

But to your original question, I also have been told that especially for lightweight kayaks (which you want so you can get at least a 16 footer), you may get hull deformity lying flat. And yes, you can also carry two.

https://maloneautoracks.com/Te...-Module-MPG3511.html

Have a great time!

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I already had a Yakima roof rack set up for bikes so when I bought a kayak I hauled it upright by adding Yakima's Hully Rollers. They wetre awesome because I was always solo and it made loading a breeze.

Yakima

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, ScotP and konata, for detailed guidance.

The Tarpon is one that I've looked at in previous years; I just don't have that kind of budget this year --> thus, the $400 Pelican instead.

I like the idea of a 10', and I'm okay with it being a little slower than a 12... for the kayaking I intend to do, I'm fine with slow. And the ten-footers are lighter, which is good for me with respect to toting/hauling.

Thanks, ScotP for re-emphasizing the coolness of the Malone loader. That's way cool.

In bigger picture, the kayaking intended will be with a friend who also works with me. Our intent is to be able to drop a vehicle at the "out" portion of the river, then run his 'yak and mine up to the "in" portion and float (and fish) down. He's got a pickup and I've got SUV. So now that I think about it a bit more, the trailer makes sense (so as to not have to buy two sets of J-carriers). Both 'yaks would fit on my flat trailer easily, and in his truck easily. I'm still thinking I'd like the versatility of being able to carry one (or two) on top for those days we can't or don't want to dork around with a trailer.

I've got a set of Yakima Mighty Mounts here that I bought a long time ago (purely because they were on a killer sale) -- so that might make building something a little easier.

I like the looks of the Thule Dockglide too... but certainly not the price! Omgosh!

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I picked up the Pelican locally this evening. I'm looking forward to getting it on the water next week.

Not having a carrier already, but having bars on the SUV, I simply strapped it down on the bars for the 2-mile, in-town ride home. Bonus: the SUV fit in the garage with the boat on top!

I know it's against good advice, but I was way happy to get into the garage without having to unload the boat first. It won't happen with the J-racks, but it was cool for the initial arrival. I need to measure the roof height on the car tomorrow, and see if it's low enough to carry J-racks and a boat and still fit into the garage.

God bless America.