SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pistachio Nuts...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistachio Nuts... Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
You can have your popcorn for watching a good movie, just give me a bowl of pistachios. Not shelled is best for a full length feature else the bowl is empty before you figure out the main characters and you have to pause and refill.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
One empathizes. My rule now is: I buy shelled pistachios but I will eat only one at time and fully chew before eating another. I fully enjoy each one before grabbing another. Same rule for chips. Otherwise I’m inhaling it all before the title sequence is done.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Remember when the shells were red? I recall cracking them open as a kid and getting my fingers stained red.

Ah, yes, as a knee-high-to-a-grasshopper thief, I 'got caught red-handed' more than one time.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Pistachios - crack to me.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Love them!

A question-
How many here can toss a fully closed one away, or will you spend the extra time to try and open it?

I confess, if it's completely closed, I toss it. I hate to do it, but don't want to crush the contents smashing it open. Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38720 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I love pistachio nuts and actually keep a bag next to me in the living room to snack on at night while watching tv. I like them in the shell they slow me down a little or I would eat a whole bag of shelled nuts in one sitting. I do keep the ones that aren’t cracked as a backup in case I run out….lol.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1.25 cups of
Kirkland salted mixed premium nuts

3/4 cup unsalted peanuts
3/4 cup shelled pistachio

In a rubber made storage container.

Be careful one ounce equals 176 calories.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I saw an early days interview with The Grateful Dead. They asked Bob Weir if he had any extravagancies now that the money was rolling in?

His answer was that he tossed the hard to open pistachios. Cool

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Remember when the shells were red? I recall cracking them open as a kid and getting my fingers stained red. Somewhere over the years that changed and if they are in shells, it’s natural color.

I wonder why they dyed them in the first place?

As a St. Louis Cardinals baseball fan I first got Pistachios at the ballgame. Like you mentioned they were dyed red. Until today I thought it was done because of the Cardinals colors.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Love Pistachios! I get mine from Heart of the Desert. I order them in 5lb bags.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Yeah! Five pounds. That's a bag of nuts right there.

Posts: 17919 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I love them, but watch out they can easily blow-up your carbohydrate intake.

Little known pistachio fact:

Pistachios tend toward biennial bearing, producing a heavy crop one year, followed by little or none the next.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

Years ago, when I lived in the Chicago area, there was a deli that carried them in five pound burlap bags. Your choice of red shells or natural.

Now, I get them in the three pound plastic bags at Costco.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30723 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post