SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pistachio Nuts...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistachio Nuts... Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Back around 1999 or so when I still worked in the pastry chef field, I made one of my uncles a wedding cake with Italian pistachio paste and it was delicious. They use it in Italy for all sorts of things like cakes, cookies and gelato.

Looked like this, so I guess it's basically a nut butter but made with pistachios instead of peanuts or hazelnuts:

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
They are good in pesto as well. I can't stand the resiny taste of pine nuts so I use pistachios (or walnuts)

Posts: 20130 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love them! They're my favorite.
I even put them (shelled of course) in the Vitamix and make pistachio butter.
3 cups on High for a couple of minutes and I get nice warm pistachio butter which lasts me about a week or so. I use it in place of peanut butter.

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I used to buy Pistachio Barfi, a kind of milk fudge originated in India. Maybe its time to DIY a batch.

And halva with pistachio nuts, maybe a bit too sweet. Maybe I can make it with less sugar.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a 3 lb bag at Sam's for $14.98.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
I used to buy Pistachio Barfi, a kind of milk fudge originated in India.
<snip>

The US distributor will likely suggest a more marketable name. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
At any given time, I usually have north of a ton of pistachios at work. Between pieces, whole, roasted, roasted salted, raw, roasted and salted in shell…

David, I can give you a job. Three pounds per hour. If you’re paid in nuts, social security can’t ding you. Wink
That's a Lotta nuts right there. I'm in.. Big Grin

Posts: 17920 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

And halva with pistachio nuts, maybe a bit too sweet. Maybe I can make it with less sugar.

It's supposed to be sweet, it's considered a candy, no? I don't think it would come out right with less sugar.

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I cant stop eating them. I had 2 one pound bags last week which lasted about 5 days. This week it's 2 half pound bags in 4 days. A friend gave me the one pound bags. They are a shy expensive. I really like them. I need more.. Big Grin

Costco sells them shelled and unshelled Kirkland brand, 3 pound bag for $17.99, wife loves them, as do I,

link

I've been getting the Wonderful brand. All good.

Posts: 17920 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the shells, crushed up would work in a tumbler for polishing pistol brass?

Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I wonder if the shells, crushed up would work in a tumbler for polishing pistol brass?

Lol, that question would only ever appear here. (It is a good question and solid use of pistachio eating debris though)

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Purchased many pounds of pistachios at the orchards north of El Paso on US 54.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just so happen to have a 1 pound bag that I'll open tonight and work on in your honor, David.

Posts: 3469 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Purchased many pounds of pistachios at the orchards north of El Paso on US 54.
I read a single, mature tree can yield 50 to 100 pounds. California grows a lot.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I just so happen to have a 1 pound bag that I'll open tonight and work on in your honor, David.
Enjoy them. I have to get more now.. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
back in the 1980's there was a Quaker Mill plant in Akron Ohio that got converted to a mini mall. As you walked in on the ground floor there as a shop that sold nothing but Nuts, you name the nut and they had them. BTW Peanuts aren't actually a Nut and they did not stock Peanuts. What they did always have in stock was pistachio in both red and non died version. Anyhow I picked up 2 pounds of pistachios and took them back to my brothers house where our Dad was visiting for the summer. My brother and his wife were out doing shopping and newlywed stuff so Dad and I sat down with the 2 pound bag of pistachios. We sat, shelled and talked for about 2 hours until that bag was completely empty. The rest of the weekend we had red hands and mouths and some sore thumbnails and it was worth on the teasing we got, because we had a damned good time.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just a comment based on what I've heard. My understanding is that it's the same asshole company / people (billion bastard in LA) that own Wonderful (brand) pistachios and Pom (pomegranate juice) that have depleted the CA aquifer and water supplies and own / control the supply and pricing of CA water (gained water rights using underhanded tactics and corrupt political officials) from SLO to the south border.

If so, I wouldn't in good conscience support either brand.

ETA: It's been awhile but I think this is the documentary I watched: Water & Power: A California Heist

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Just a comment based on what I've heard. My understanding is that it's the same asshole company / people (billion bastard in LA) that own Wonderful (brand) pistachios and Pom (pomegranate juice) that have depleted the CA aquifer and water supplies and own / control the supply and pricing of CA water (gained water rights using underhanded tactics and corrupt political officials) from SLO to the south border.

If so, I wouldn't in good conscience support either brand.
I didn't know this. The nuts were givin to me by a friend. I know them to be expensive and feel fortunate to have had them. Maybe a different brand next go round.

Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5698 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Guilty as charged. I don't think the California ones taste as good as the red ones from the Middle East back in the day.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post