SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question About Custom-Made (Shoe) Orthotic Inserts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Custom-Made (Shoe) Orthotic Inserts Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have been trying various off the shelf orthotic arch supports in my shoes with mixed results.

My podiatrist looked at the gel ones I had and nixed them right away, telling me I need rigid ones as I have high arches.

He told me to try off-the-shelf first but also offered to scan my feet and make custom ones molded to my feet and they would be around $400. Looks like I can pay with my HSA card which would be ideal.

My question: are these worth getting? How long do they last?

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're worth getting. I have flat feet, and invested in custom orthotics from my podiatrist before I started my LE career ~15 years ago. They make a big difference in my feets/ankles/knees when running or walking/standing for long periods.

They're supposed to be replaced every 5ish years, but I still have my original 15 year old set as a backup, and they still work just fine.

Most orthotics will come with a rigid heel/arch support section attached to a soft full-foot insole. The idea is to take out the factory insole and insert the orthotic instead. But that full size insole portion doesn't fit 100% in most shoes, leaving gaps around the sides in the toe area, which bugs me. So I remove the rigid portion of the insole from the soft portion, and just stick the rigid portion under the shoe's factory insoles.

I will caution you that, depending on the exact size/shape of the orthotic, they can change how some styles of shoe feel/fit. So you'll want to try new shoes on with the orthotics inserted, and your favorite style of shoes before may no longer be quite as comfortable with the orthotics, forcing you to search for a new favorite.

And they can also wear on the insides of some shoes, due to the rigid sides of the support portion rubbing on the inner lining of the shoe, so you may have to replace some pairs of shoes faster than usual.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that the length that they last will depend on the manufacture and design of the insert.

I have 5 pairs of custom orthotics. The oldest pair is 15-16 years old. All were in the price range that you quoted. I added a set every year or two for a while until I had enough to accommodate a reasonable amount of shoes. the oldest pair is showing signs of wear through the top layer of the insole, but they are still plenty usable. I leave them in my boots that I shoot in. I think getting to the point where you have enough sets and aren't constantly putting them in and out of shoes helps with longevity.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Totally, I have had plantar fasciitis for years and the hard insoles my Dr sold me are wonderful.

My right leg is .25" shorter than my left due a break...they helped that as well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yes they are worth it. I have flat feet and have had pain for most of my entire life. I got my first custom pair in 4th grade, about 1982 or so. I get a new pair every 8 - 10 years ever since my feet stopped growing. I have always had a plaster cast made of my feet. When I got my last pair 2 years ago I thought they would've switched to a different method of measuring them. My new podiatrist still made plaster casts of my feet. She said it's still the best method.

I can't live without them.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My wife has some (which she doesn't always use) and they help her.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
My daughter uses them in running and basketball shoes. After a full day of running her feet do “hurt”, but this is after a very competitive action(s). I’d hate to think how she’d be without them.

For hers, they generally last about a “season”, but she’s particularly hard on hers, so don’t measure her usage for yours. We buy three sets a year at $300. She goes in, has a mold made and three days later her custom inserts are available.

For casual wear she does use old ones, but they get replaced when new ones are provided for her primary purpose.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
yeah. They are worth the money. I have a couple of pairs. Some are over ten years old and they are great. I have high arches and have had to deal with plantar fasciitis. Can't live with out em.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It’s the only way I’m walking today without a limp. Get them! I’m actually in the process of getting another set this week. I’m on my fifth set in 20 years.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5409 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I'm going to get an appointment to see the Doc and get a set made.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Thanks all, I'm going to get an appointment to see the Doc and get a set made.

If you can afford it, see if there is a discount for a second pair. When I bought mine, the second pair (made at the same from the same mold or pattern) was considerably cheaper than the first.

Also, you often need to trim the toe portion to fit your shoes. Best to approach this slowly with multiple small cuts. It is always easier to cut just a little more than it it to cut just a little less...

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Love mine. They helped with a short leg issue which in turn helped with back pain caused by walking funny to lift the longer leg.
Oddly, I’ve never had an issue with foot pain but I do need motion control shoes to run or I get IT band pain on my short side leg.

It’s only 1/4” to 3/8” length difference but wow what a difference the insoles made.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Also, you often need to trim the toe portion to fit your shoes. Best to approach this slowly with multiple small cuts. It is always easier to cut just a little more than it it to cut just a little less...

The one he showed me that they make was a 3/4 type model without anything to trim and it was hard plastic or carbon fiber?

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

The one he showed me that they make was a 3/4 type model without anything to trim and it was hard plastic or carbon fiber?

Cool, oughta just fit then. Smile

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Our local Costco had a special lab that made them. They are gone now but they were substantially cheaper than the DPM I looked into. I have both custom and off the shelf. I usually use the non custom and regularly replace them. They all will change how your shoes/boots fit.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have worn custom orthotics for over 20 years. I also have high arches and my local podiatrist made rigid ones for me. Several years ago. I had major surgery on my left foot due to problems arising from the high arches.

After my recovery, the Chicago surgeon was using a suburban shop and they made me new soft orthotics. I was told then, that I should have not worn the rigid ones.

I could not walk without pain unless I was using my orthotics. be they hard or soft. I have probably half a dozen old pairs and just got new ones this Summer as I needed a change for my right foot. I replace mine about every 2 or 3 years and am happy to spend that money.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair about 30 years ago.
Also high arches like you.

They didn’t have a scanner back then. I had to stand on floor scales, one foot on each, to see if I leaned more weight into one foot or the other. Then, they made plaster casts of the soles of my feet.

A week or so later, I picked up the pair the podiatrist made. Almost like football helmet material, went from the heel to the ball of my foot, with an additional layer of softer compression foam, which extended under the ball of the foot, stopping just short of the toes.

They were not comfortable... but they did seem to help the pain in my arches.

They cost me almost $600, which insurance covered a good chunk of, but after about 2 years, the padded portion past the arch started tearing away from the rest of the orthotic.

Haven’t seen them in about 20 years.
These days, I find that a good pair of shoes with higher arches accomplishes about the same thing, and is a helluva lot more comfortable.
My shoes of choice for about the last 5 years have been Merrell.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The podiatrist I saw sent me over to REI. They, among other vendors, have one called "Sole Support". They have three thicknesses. I've used them quite successfully for a couple of years now.

Take them out of the holder and step down onto them - find the one that fits your length and arch placement.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I use Powerstep Pinnacle Max inserts and they’ve helped a lot. Worth a try.

https://www.powersteps.com/pinnacle-maxx.html

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post