SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    deer meat question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

deer meat question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
If going to have your deer meat ground in to burger. Would you freeze or refrigerate it if just three of four days after butchering it? I was thinking about freezing it. As I have no idea at this point how long it will be for them to do it. The shop that is going to grind it has been closed for a few days.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I always ground my own, but if you're using a place and have no idea when they will be ready then I would freeze it if I were in your position.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
My deer processor hangs your deer skinned for several days just above freezing. After grinding, it goes into the freezer until pickup. If you have no way to hang and age it under these conditions you might be stuck freezing it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I always debone it and then place the meat in SS containers in the bottom of the frig for three days. Each day I take it out and drain the blood.

Then I wrap it and put it in the freezer.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Shoot it in the morning, process it [myself] before lunch (some of the ground may have 25% pork fat) and in the freezer before heading out again for the evening hunt.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I always debone it and then place the meat in SS containers in the bottom of the frig for three days. Each day I take it out and drain the blood.

Then I wrap it and put it in the freezer.

This. You can even go as far as changing the water daily to get the blood rinsed out.

I have a buddy who is Amish who even debones it, freezes it for a month or so. He then thaws it, when they accumulate 7-8 deer total, and they grind all of them at once. Then he freezes the finished product.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post