SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What federal agencies would you eliminate/consolidate
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What federal agencies would you eliminate/consolidate Login/Join 
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Every last one.

Posts: 356 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

The government needs funding, so there needs to be a revenue department.
Eliminate Income Tax, completely. Replace it with a consumption tax. The Fair Tax is a good model.

If this were done, the IRS could be reduced to a tiny fraction of its present size, if not eliminated completely.

A side benefit is that "undocumented workers" would be contributing with every item that they purchase.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30714 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The constitution doesn’t approve much. National defense, mail service, coin money and fix the weights and measures. Unfortunately raising revenue

Posts: 4782 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoosehornMan:
Federal Reserve, oh wait, that is a private entity.

Only on paper. When we consider the true goal of the Federal Reserve it becomes clear they work for fedgov and not for the citizenry.

Their primary metric is inflation, which they target to be 2%. Why 2% rather than 0%? Because it assists the government in spending and increasing the national debt. In a rational world the goal would be to match the money supply to the GDP, and the GDP would grow with the population growth.

Furthermore, there would be no need to pump money into the money supply or raise interest rates to cool the economy. Those actions artificially and significantly whipsaw many facets of the economy. Free markets have much smaller ups and downs than the centrally controlled economy.

Any inflation above 0% permits the government to surreptitiously shift the debt onto the citizens.

There is no need for the Federal Reserve wrt a free market economy.

Posts: 9471 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My Father was a WW2 Marine Vet. After the war he became a teacher,Principal, Superintendent of two School Dist.,ran a Federal Education program, and a College professor.
He LOUDLY would voice his hatred for the Dept. of Education.He was a spirited advocate of LOCAL school authority, keep the Federal government out of my yard!

Posts: 4636 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Per the Federal Register there are 439 federal agencies.

Here is the list of those I'd keep.

Forest Service
American Battle Monuments Commission
Architect of the Capitol
Patent and Trademark Office
Congressional Budget Office
Defense Department
Executive Office of the President
Government Accountability Office
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
National Park Service
Justice Department
Prisons Bureau
United States Marshals Service
Library of Congress
State Department
Treasury Department
U.S. House of Representatives
U.S. Senate

Some functions would be subsumed into this smaller list, for example, the Coast Guard would become part of the Department of Defense, but those are a minority of the agencies that would be terminated.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31471 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Eliminate Income Tax, completely. Replace it with a consumption tax. The Fair Tax is a good model.

If this were done, the IRS could be reduced to a tiny fraction of its present size, if not eliminated completely.

A side benefit is that "undocumented workers" would be contributing with every item that they purchase.

Until congress decides it wants more money, so i t levies a VAT system as is done in the UK, then you'll pay sales tax and cover the VAT on every piece of the process of making a product, and if you import it they'll have an import levy just like the UK.

Posts: 23535 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
IRS and ATF to begin, DHS, dept of education and energy. Then I'd keep cutting until our debt was paid down. I'd do away with USPS too and go private. Yes, unemployment would be an issue but it would pan out eventually and we'd be better off. I'd also clean house on the FBI and CIA.

If employees of private companies like Tesla and Nike can survive RIF's then federal agencies will survive too.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
This one
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Department of Education.
That’s not to say so aspects of what they do aren’t needed, just that they could be incorporated into other departments and get rid of the bloated bureaucracy.
That’s true of many other departments. They’ve become huge and so ineffective.
I like the approach of the new President of Argentina.

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Another vote for "all of the above"

Including the Dept. of Forrestry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Yes, all of them.

Posts: 11230 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I think we should keep one agency, any except DoD because they have nukes. Then put the agency in the basement of some now unoccupied D.C. office building and school children could take field trips to see the 'agents' throw poo at one another.

At least they would know what they were doing...I think.

Posts: 6403 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I would start by reducing the FBI to the FBO, the Federal Bureau of Observation. Disarm the agents and take away their assault toys. Any crime they observe gets reported to a State agency.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any crime they observe gets reported to a State agency.

One of the main reasons for the FBI is that crimes that cover a number of jurisdictions, and are strictly federal violations, need to be coordinated under one agency to minimize the confusion. So the idea we can simply disband them really doesn't work.

The FBI, especially upper management, has lots of issues that need to be address for sure.

Posts: 9536 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post