SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Being an adult/homeowner… plumbing related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being an adult/homeowner… plumbing related Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Not so much a rant or being angry, more of an observation on life. Tomorrow the plumbers come to rip out all our 30 plus year old pipe to re-plumb the entire house. New water heater, new expansion tank, new faucets, new outdoor spigots,you get the picture.

The point of this post is sometimes being an adult or homeowner sucks. Plain and simple. I just hate the amount of money we’re fixing to spend to have this done. It’s actually the second time, we did this in our previous home near Raleigh.

I guess the flip side is I’m grateful my wife and I can afford to have stuff like this done, we can pay up front, no credit cards, no loan payments on work like this. Also, no more pin hole leaks, last minute runs to Lowe’s to get stuff to repair pipe, wet and stuck up in the crawl space, not to mention I’m pretty much an expert now on leaky pipe repair.

Welp, here’s to to getting on with it, then it’s gonna be drywall repair, then new flooring, oh and washer and dryer. Oh the firearms and ammunition that could have been had!!!

Wish us luck!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Good luck and yes the joys of home ownership. 7 years ago the big hit was having to replace the whole air conditioning system. Next will be getting our foundation repaired and after that will be getting the shingles on the roof replaced with no insurance assistance. Somehow every home around me gets their shingles replaced after a storm, but not my insurance company. Time to switch. At least s home is an investment and can be paid off unlike renting.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course you could learn to do plumbing which is in the realm of many. I couldn't do my furnace but I can do electrical and plumbing in my 1880's house.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11015 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of pipe? Pex? Hopefully not copper. My copper plumbing just celebrated its 30th birthday.

Posts: 585 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain Garand. I mean I really feel it. I’ve spent so much money on this money pit with much much more to go before I can sell it and get it back. I never lived in a house before I bought mine 17 years ago and I will NOT own another one. I’m going all metal building for the next one and calling the shots on design, plumbing, electrical, insulation, etc. I know I can own something much more efficient, storm resistant, much better insulated, with minimal maintenance compared to a traditional home. No more shingles for one. The day I get to sell this house will be one of the happiest days of my life. The next 4-5 years of my life will revolve around getting everything on the house done so I can sell it. I got real tempted to sell it this summer, along with the rural land I own and just buy one of two different homes where my rural land is as I want out that bad. But I stuck to my guns, with the help of my friends, to stick to my plan of building my own building instead. This house has just annihilated me at times, financially, mentally, etc. It sucks spending thousands of dollars on things on the house just to keep it going. All the money we pour into them. Just grind it out. That’s what I’m doing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12654 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
After renovating my second house I feel there's something to be said for being a renter.

Posts: 3469 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a renter,
I would look at it as being invested in something that you can resell later I think that's always a good idea.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So what kind of piping has only lasted 30 years?
Dads a plumber and he’s redone my brothers home in Tampa, but Chuck had galvanized pipe from the 40s. He replumbed it with PEX.
Dad said if chucks house hadnt been built during WWII it would have been copper and there copper lasts 100 years.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The last year hasn't been pretty for me. Exterior paint, landscaping, roof, trim work, gutters, shutters, kitchen countertops, backsplash next week, new exterior lighting yesterday, litany of more minor stuff. Luckily the HVAC/HWH is only 6-7 years old and I've already upgraded the electrical system. So hopefully only 'fun' projects from here.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember as a young kid, I thought my world was crumbling around me as I lost a library book. I said I can't wait to be a grownup so I won't have these troubles. An older relative laughed and said problems multiply as you get old. How right he was.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19705 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeinNC:
So what kind of piping has only lasted 30 years?

Copper pipe replaced. We’re on a deep well and copper pipe is original to the house which is 34 years old. Started getting pin hole leaks a couple years ago. Last home had “quest” pipe, that had a class action lawsuit but had expired when we bought the home, but we knew it going in. I thought at our current home we’d be ok, but apparently deep well water here in my part of Virginia is hard on copper. Some of the pipe I cut out and replaced you can crimp between your thumb and pointer with little effort.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Truer words have never been spoken:

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I remember as a young kid, I thought my world was crumbling around me as I lost a library book. I said I can't wait to be a grownup so I won't have these troubles. An older relative laughed and said problems multiply as you get old. How right he was.

@OP I feel you pain

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post