SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funeral today here in England
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral today here in England Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
Today, around 1.30 or so, we'll be saying goodbye to an old and very dear friend of almost forty years. Mike and I were both serving at RAF Brampton back in 1984 when we were selected to shoot for the RAF rifle squad.

His wife and mine hit if off instantly, and we've all been close friends since.

Almost three years ago, he was diagnosed with dementia, and was taken to a local care-home for long stay treatment. Gradually disintegrating in front of our eyes, this fiercely intelligent and astute man was further diagnosed with the appalling Lewy-body type dementia, and his last six months or so were awful - so awful it's hard for me to describe - I'll let you look it up. Basically he was reduced to a drooling wreck of a human being, and leave it at that.

We were all very thankful when his suffering came to an end a couple of weeks ago, and today we are going to celebrate his life.

We'll be joined by his son and daughter-in-law, who have just become US citizens, and three grandchildren who already are.

Your thoughts for us all would be appreciated today.

Tac and Mrs Tac

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers said and sent your way.

Dementia is a horrible thing ☹️

Posts: 3731 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Those of us that have watched a loved one slip into dementia can sympathize. Deepest condolences Tac.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My condolences Tac on the loss of your friend, even though the sadness was tempered by the end of his suffering.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Condolences to you. The last time I visited my mother,
she didn't know who I was. She passed a year ago.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
You all are in my thoughts. It's an insidious, awful disease! May your friend rest in peace, his battle over.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8528 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Please accept my sincerest condolences, Tac.

I watched my brother-in-law pass through dementia about six years ago. It was horrible to be a part of it & what it did to my sister was devastating.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “We were all very thankful when his suffering came to an end a couple of weeks ago, and today we are going to celebrate his life.”
Sincere condolences Tac.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
He sounds like a good man worth celebrating!

Tell his family that someone in Texas is thinking about them!

HK Ag

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Tac

My condolences on the loss of your friend. That’s a tough way to go.

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear that. My mom went out that way. Glad you had such a good friend.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Today, around 1.30 or so, we'll be saying goodbye to an old and very dear friend of almost forty years. Mike and I were both serving at RAF Brampton back in 1984 when we were selected to shoot for the RAF rifle squad.

His wife and mine hit if off instantly, and we've all been close friends since.

Almost three years ago, he was diagnosed with dementia, and was taken to a local care-home for long stay treatment. Gradually disintegrating in front of our eyes, this fiercely intelligent and astute man was further diagnosed with the appalling Lewy-body type dementia, and his last six months or so were awful - so awful it's hard for me to describe - I'll let you look it up. Basically he was reduced to a drooling wreck of a human being, and leave it at that.

We were all very thankful when his suffering came to an end a couple of weeks ago, and today we are going to celebrate his life.

We'll be joined by his son and daughter-in-law, who have just become US citizens, and three grandchildren who already are.

Your thoughts for us all would be appreciated today.

Tac and Mrs Tac

Tac and Mrs. Tac. So sorry for your loss. I have some idea of what it is like to go thru that. Many, many condolences to you and all who are hurting right now.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
You have my deepest sympathies. We lost a family member to dementia, and it was as though we had to watch her die twice. Mentally and then physically. It’s horrible.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
You have my condolences. Prayers offered.

Godspeed Mike.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Prayers have been offered for him, his family, and friends.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. And thanks again.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Condolences to you and his family and friends. Dementia is a cruel adversary.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your friend's condition and his passing.

Condolences on the loss of a good man.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post