SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New to me 2009 Harley
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me 2009 Harley Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Pretty! Certainly an American classic.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2 types of people..Those with Guns and those who dig!
Picture of USMC-PRIDE
posted Hide Post
For those with or have had a Sportster, how is the suspension? good for a guy with a bad back? Or will I end up making frequent pit stops? If it isn't the best suspension for me, do you think it could be made leaps and bounds better with Air ride or piggy back shocks?

---------------------------------------
"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."-----Charles Beard

Posts: 1106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Nice Sporty.

Not sure where you live but I ride a lot on the Front Range. Usually a little longer than 1-2 hours but if you ever want a little company on a ride for lunch to Palmer Lake or Lyons. Email me. I like to go out to Lulu's in Watkins for a short ride too.

Enjoy and ride safe.

Posts: 1966 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC-PRIDE:
For those with or have had a Sportster, how is the suspension? good for a guy with a bad back? Or will I end up making frequent pit stops? If it isn't the best suspension for me, do you think it could be made leaps and bounds better with Air ride or piggy back shocks?

Few people who ride much continue to use factory suspension, regardless of make/model.

There are oodles of rear shock options, and ample fork upgrades available, too, from cushy to racing to lower just to be lower, and so on. For a stock bike, as is, they're decent enough.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC-PRIDE:

This is why you will find the Softail in my garage these days.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though I now ride a '14 FXDF one of my all time favorite bikes was my '06 XL1200 Roadster. Due to my riding style at the time I ended up with a mild upgrade to the suspension: Progressive shocks on the rear (412s), forks springs and a fork brace (got a great deal on a Screaming Eagle version used).

They allowed me to go from needing to hop off every hour or so to going as long as I wanted stopping only to fill up.

There are some outstanding shocks out there, depends on how deep your pockets are. Easy upgrade to keep a Sporty good to go.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Love the look of your new bike! Wish they made a sportster that was 'upsized' for those of us who are larger.

I'd look like a Shriner on that thing.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Love the look of your new bike! Wish they made a sportster that was 'upsized' for those of us who are larger.

...a Dyna (Street, Fat, Low, all of them really) is basically that.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
Nice Sporty.

Not sure where you live but I ride a lot on the Front Range. Usually a little longer than 1-2 hours but if you ever want a little company on a ride for lunch to Palmer Lake or Lyons. Email me. I like to go out to Lulu's in Watkins for a short ride too.

Enjoy and ride safe.

I'm up off exit 252 off of I25. I'll probably avoid I25 most of the time, it's just so crazy in this area. I'm gone lots flying, but if you head up this way shoot me an email and maybe we can meet and grab a soda or... thx.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10987 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I like to hit Severance for oysters on occasion. Fairly decent biker stop in Berthoud.

Next time I head that way I'll for sure send an email to see if you're around.

Edit: I avoid I-25 as much as humanly possible.

Posts: 1966 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

...a Dyna (Street, Fat, Low, all of them really) is basically that.

The Low Rider is a great bike for taller folks. I really liked mine, but wanted something bigger and traded up to a Heritage.

As far as suspension and back issues, I don't know that shocks are the only solution. I found that what worked MUCH better to save my back was a good seat...something that rolls your pelvis forward. Stock seats on those bikes, in a word, suck.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Comment about the seats (on all of them) is spot on. I like Mustang seats myself. Any of them will require "butt-break-in" to mold itself to you.
Don't know what modifications you like if any, but try riding it as is for 3 to 6 months or so as-is. That will point out specifics you want to spend money on, and also allow you to talk to other Sportster owners as to what they done, and if they were happy with the changes.

Nice ride...enjoy!!! Smile

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ Fitting someone to a motorcycle is quite like a bicycle, where the seat/bars/pegs (posture) have as much to do with riding comfort as does the suspension, sometimes more so. Just the bars have many relevant factors (width, height, pullback)... all of which matters.