SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New to me 2009 Harley
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me 2009 Harley Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted

2009 XL1200L. 4300 miles and seems to be in great shape. I'm looking forward to some short trips close to home. I'm not your cruiser kind of guy. I think some 1-2 hour trips will be just perfect. The weather was great today for me to try her out. I never could put together a deal to buy that Valkyrie I found a while back.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10987 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I like that old school look. Nice!

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Enjoy!

There's just nothing like riding down the road on a Hog.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool. I love Sportsters.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations great bike enjoy that twin

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sportys are fun bikes. Big enough to handle smoothly (and sound good) but small enough to not be a hassle when not moving. And they look great! I had a 1000cc Sportster 1984-1989, but a bad accident stopped my riding days. I still ogle Harleys and bask in the sound, and even go to dealers every so often to get a "sound fix".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Cool

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a Sporty! Great bikes!!!

A few of my buddies that decided to keep there Sportsters always landed up tossing on a larger tank for longer rides.

Ride Safe!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Looks great, enjoy. Is a great American classic bike!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice scooter. I had a Sporty with white pearl paint, once upon a time.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first H-D was an 883 that became a 100hp beast. I still miss it, but the wife enjoys the time on the the '16 Ultra more.

Enjoy that HOG!

Posts: 724 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, my only ridden 500 miles a year it's still new and with a windshield too. One nice things with Harley's is all the accessories that are available for them so you can set it up just how you want. From seats to luggage to handlebars, lights, racks, it's almost endless.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Nice...

I just got this one in January.

Enjoy,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Great Harley, I think you will really like it.

My first Harley was an 08 1200C. To this day I really miss that bike. My Heritage is great and all but damn, that Sportster was a ton of fun. Here is a pic of her.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Valkyries are great bikes thou parts can be a little tough to get these days, congrats on your "new" bike.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Really nice Sporty. They are the only bikes that Harley has made for the past several years that I like. The others are all just too big, fat and busy IMO.

Congrats. Stay safe and have fun.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
Looks good - Congratulations.

Makes me miss my black/pewter '89 1200 Sportster. Last year of the chain drive 4 speeds. The brakes and handling weren't up to par with the Japanese bikes I'd owned before (or since), but that magnificent engine made you forget all that... TORQUE FOR DAYS!!!

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had my 1984 1000cc Sportster modified to use a belt drive. It was awesome! Quiet and no oil stripe up the back. I had the only 1984 Sportster in the DFW so equipped.

When the bike was rebuilt after the 1989 accident I had it equipped with 2" drag pipes. It sounded fantastic, but the guy I sold it to couldn't keep off the throttle when he passed cop cars and got lots of tickets. He traded it in on a BMW. The bike was eventually sold to a dealter from The Netherlands, so I guess that Sporty is tooling around the Benelux countries.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Valkyries are great bikes thou parts can be a little tough to get these days, congrats on your "new" bike.

I have a friend whose Valkyrie fell off of his lift a couple of winters ago and the insurance company totaled it. He bought it back and parted it out on Ebay. He made $1,600 over what he had into it. It's a shame really. That was a great looking bike.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the memories here guys. Thanks too for the good info and sweet pics.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10987 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post