SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don’t know if I am happy or bummed out.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don’t know if I am happy or bummed out. Login/Join 
Retired old fat motor cop
posted
The bride was going through some boxes in basement today and found a holster when she brought it up to put up some Fall decorations.

She showed me when I came off shift, made some comment about “damn things” all over the house or something like that. She was telling me about something I had absolutely no interest in....and it happened. I looked at the holster she gave me and said do something with it.

She continued to speak about something on FB, she has a high end cosmetic thing and my mind wanders, I look at the holster, it’s a nice kydex OWB turn it over, FNX45 tac.

Well that gun is long gone. A thought comes in. I have a S&W 1076 that only has a vintage DeSantis Speed Scabbard that is tooth marked from a dog three times back. A light does on in my head, “you have been wanting to play around with kydex holsters”.

So while Mrs SPG is expounding on foundation and lipstick, I am formulating my plan to use the oven and heat gun, what I need for tools, gloves and what pan I need. Utube will have to checked.
My old 10mm will have a new home on my hip for this Fall’s woods walks with the dogs.

Mrs SPG finishes, I grab a beverage to see what I have to modify, and how much. The dogs and I go to my den where the safe is, open it up to get the 1076 out to start my little project. I am looking forward to this, I put the Smith into the Contact Concelment that will have new life molded into it.

IT FITS LIKE A GLOVE...

So much for that plan, back to honey doo list

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Be Happy!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Surely it can't fit exactly like a glove? Detail work, man, detail work!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Surely it can't fit exactly like a glove? Detail work, man, detail work!

Snaps in like a glove, no play, comes right out ;-). There might be a bit of room in front, it’s ok

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a fun and handy hobby. Factor in lots of time though. I built a really good T-Rex Arms "Sidecar" shameless copy AIWB holster. https://www.trex-arms.com/store/sidecar-appendix-rig/

It looks and functions great and is a $110 retail item. However, I didn't keep track, but I probably have 8 hours into it!

Another cool thing I did is a saw a neat 2 shot shell kydex rig attached to the fore end of a shotgun for emergency reloads in the Magpul Dynamics "Art of the Dynamic Shotgun" DVD. I banged one out in about an hour or less with kydex and M-lock attachment parts already on hand and it works great!

Basic holsters, single mag pouches, and knife sheaths don't take very long to make and are pretty straight forward. Once you add complexity like multiple items, especially dissimilar items (like the 2 speed loader and light pouch I made for my wife), the time factor goes up exponentially.

I always do a big Google image search before each project and save reference photos for what I'm wanting to make.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post