SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police Training, timing your shot, Brazilian style.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Training, timing your shot, Brazilian style. Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
Oh yeah, that's the same guy who used to catch javelins at high school track meets...

...and head-butt the shot.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Ofc. Doofy

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I did this training before.....with airsoft. It was quite good; situational awareness, muzzle awareness in crowd moving around/through people to get a good shot.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
That's going to be a hard pass from me. Nope, no thanks, not a chance.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine does high-angle rescue training to a variety of Central & South American countries and works with both mil & LEO, we laughed about this one. He said the Brazilian's rationale in doing this is because, where their cops are likely to be in a gun fight, very dense urban environs, non-combatants/civilians are likely to squirt across the field of fire and this forces to cops to be aware of their entire surroundings. ...yeah Eek

While I'm a big proponent of being accountable for all the rounds you fire, how are you supposed to account for an irrational person crossing your field of fire, while you're simultaneously engaged with a threat? Not sure an instructor wandering across the front of the firing line is the best way to go about this.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
wha duh fu

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if you Hit the trainer, do you have to retake the class?

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some reason they always have job openings for range officers.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I hope the range has good ventilation, or that guy is going to have elevated lead levels.

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Brazilian version of frogger with a pistol. That’s one crazy MF’r...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Friend of mine does high-angle rescue training to a variety of Central & South American countries and works with both mil & LEO, we laughed about this one. He said the Brazilian's rationale in doing this is because, where their cops are likely to be in a gun fight, very dense urban environs, non-combatants/civilians are likely to squirt across the field of fire and this forces to cops to be aware of their entire surroundings. ...yeah Eek

While I'm a big proponent of being accountable for all the rounds you fire, how are you supposed to account for an irrational person crossing your field of fire, while you're simultaneously engaged with a threat? Not sure an instructor wandering across the front of the firing line is the best way to go about this.

I agree with the others that there are probably safer ways to do this training,... but there are few that are as effective.

I suppose it depends on how safe of a life a person has led or how safe they expect it to be. The more a person comes face to face with actually having to engage in these kinds of fights the more they will realize the utility of certain types of risky training.

Personally, I'm a fan of William Fairbairn. I don't think there are many people who can match his record, especially against competent and bold criminals or the cauldron of WWII.He used a method where he fired at trainees - but not vice versa.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There’s necessary training and there is training that’s too dangerous to be justified.

It’s always possible to find an excuse for something, but the question should be whether the dangers of what we’re doing are greater than the dangers of what we’re trying to train to prevent. During WWII the organization that was recruiting agents to be parachuted into German-occupied territories stopped having them perform practice jumps. They still got training on operating the parachutes, but so many agents were being injured in the practice jumps that they decided it was best to limit their exposure to the one-time real thing. How many bystanders do Brazilian police shoot unintentionally? And not “might” shoot but shoot?

There are ways of training and acting to minimize dangers to bystanders that don’t involve firing live rounds past the trainer—and more effective ones at that than having one guy run back and forth down range. I would imagine, for example, that airsoft guns are available in Brazil, and using them would accomplish the same purpose.

If those people want to conduct such drills, that’s their business, but it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea no matter what the intent.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post