SIGforum
Financial Freedom, Finally

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9480061294

May 20, 2022, 08:51 AM
M-11
Financial Freedom, Finally
Yup, no consumer debt. House and cars are paid off; no plastic debt; just the monthly living expenses, semi-annual insurance bill and real estate taxes. NOW we can enjoy retirement.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas
May 20, 2022, 09:01 AM
MikeinNC
Feels good don’t it?
We paid off the house a few months ago. Everything we make from now on goes to retirement. We’ve already funded the kids college fund.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
May 20, 2022, 09:01 AM
Warhorse
Congrats!

May 20, 2022, 09:02 AM
SIG4EVA
Amazing! How long did it take you to pay off the house? I hope to be in that position in the next 7 years. Paid off consumer debt in 2020 but still have the house.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
May 20, 2022, 09:03 AM
rburg
I felt that way too, until I got my property tax assessment. They've decided to more than double my tax bill for next year.

Unhappy ammo seeker
May 20, 2022, 09:17 AM
Hay2bale
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I felt that way too, until I got my property tax assessment. They've decided to more than double my tax bill for next year.

I never see the property and personal property tax bills. My wife always used to pay them when she was working, and she has kept doing it after retirement. She knows I don't want to know! My buddy was trying to complain about his tax bills
yesterday, and I put my hands over my ears and sang the Baby Shark song.

Part of my Serenity Now program.

Congratulations M-11, you are a member of an elite group. Enjoy your retirement.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass
May 20, 2022, 09:18 AM
vinnybass
Congratulations! It feels great, doesn't it.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
May 20, 2022, 09:45 AM
blueye
Very nice, working on paying off house and in a few months it should be paid off.
May 20, 2022, 09:57 AM
rsbolo
That is awesome! Congratulations!

May 20, 2022, 10:00 AM
Flash-LB
I was in that position in mid 1994, something I'd looked forward to for most of my life.

But interestingly enough, the day it happened was anticlimactic for me and Mrs. Flash.

It was kind of like "aren't we supposed to be screaming and yelling and dancing in the streets?"
May 20, 2022, 10:05 AM
1s1k
We paid off ours 4 years ago and only have living expenses. It’s a great feeling that’s for sure. Still have Illinois taxes which blows.
May 20, 2022, 10:11 AM
Jupiter
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Yup, no consumer debt. House and cars are paid off; no plastic debt; just the monthly living expenses, semi-annual insurance bill and real estate taxes. NOW we can enjoy retirement.

Congrats. I know how good it feels. I was able to get there a few years back.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

May 20, 2022, 10:12 AM
UTsig
Congratulations, it's a great feeling!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
May 20, 2022, 10:34 AM
M-11
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Amazing! How long did it take you to pay off the house? I hope to be in that position in the next 7 years. Paid off consumer debt in 2020 but still have the house.

It was a 30yr, but after 10 we refinanced on a 15 and paid that off in 2020 before I retired, a year early. That was the goal. So, about 24 yrs. instead of 30.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas
May 20, 2022, 10:35 AM
RogueJSK
Outstanding! Great job.

I only have the mortgage left, and I'm plugging away at that with extra principal payments, with the plan to have it paid off before retirement.
May 20, 2022, 10:39 AM
patw
Nice. That is the dream
May 20, 2022, 12:08 PM
Schmelby
Congratulations, I know how it feels!!
May 20, 2022, 12:18 PM
6guns
Congratulations! Enjoy living!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
May 20, 2022, 04:43 PM
.38supersig
Fantastic!

You'll sleep a lot better living in your own house instead of the bank's house.

I've done the same many years ago and there is no other feeling like it.

May 20, 2022, 04:51 PM
Sweet Chuckie
Congratulations, M-11, everything is easier now!! Cool