SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New carpet over 1/4" of new concrete overlay, how soon is too soon?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New carpet over 1/4" of new concrete overlay, how soon is too soon? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I have a feeling I chose my home improvement products incorrectly and could be looking at a problem a few days from now. We finished our basement and have carpet being installed this Wednesday. I previously ground off some high spots and yesterday I filled in a low spot. I should have used a self-leveling fast set compound. Instead I used Quikrete top coat (sand only, no aggregate). It covers an area about 3'x2' and is 1/4" at its thickest. I also have a couple small cavities I plugged in a closet where a nailed down wall was removed. I potentially need to grind this stuff.

I prewetted the old concrete, half of my concrete liquid was acrylic fortifier, and I kept a poly sheet over it about 20 hours after laying it down.

Here are my questions to those who slept at a Holiday Inn Express near a concrete plant last night:

1. Am I going to have moisture/curing problems with carpet pad going down 3.5 days after 1/4" of concrete?

2. Am I going to be able to lightly grind this stuff after 2.5-3 days?

3. Should I just tear it out and use a self leveling quick drying material?

Changing the carpet install date is not an option.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Apply a concrete sealer product over your concrete, the day before your install..should be gtg.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If changing the install date is not an option I would recommend removing the quickrete and using a product called 450ci. It is made by BASF and is a quick curing (48 hour) concrete with corrosion inhibitor.
Normal quickrete has a cure time of 28 days and will have moisture issues if covered. Also quickrete wants to be wet cured for 72 hours after pouring as does any concrete mix with the exception of a few specialty mixes.
Google AH Harris as they stock 440ci or use a self leveling grout material. If you have questions my email is in my profile and I would be happy to walk you through the process.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post