SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carpet install...actually reinstall question. Installer screwed up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpet install...actually reinstall question. Installer screwed up Login/Join 
posted
We had new carpet installed on the second floor. 4 bedrooms, hallway and a walk-in closet. It never felt right from the start. Carpet felt worse that the one it replaced.

They sent a tech out to check and verified they gave us the wrong pad. We paid for an upgraded 8lb pad but they installed a 6lb pad.

Now they need to pull up the entire carpet, replace pad and reinstall carpet. The tech said they would be able to put the original carpet back down.

I have some doubts it will go back down the same way. Should I be concerned? Fight for a complete install with new carpet?

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
No reason they can't reuse the carpet IMO. But agree with old dine, it still should have felt better than your old carpet.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
No reason they can't reuse the carpet IMO.

^^ Agree ^^^ In spite of the inconvenience it should be fine.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Old carpets get re-stretched. There's no reason why a newly installed carpet can't be re-installed. But because others have said that the new carpet with the six lb pad should have been more comfortable than the old one, then before proceeding with any fixes, I want to make sure and get assurances that it is the pad and not something else. Could there be something wrong with the carpet itself or how they prepared the floor?

I don't know why the technician said they can't use the floor because the first thing that would come to mind is: Okay, since you made the mistake then not only do you need to fix the pad, you'll also need to replace the carpet.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen contractors agree to one product and then quietly substitute a cheaper, lower grade version for the installation. Verify receipts and with calls to the manufacturer if needed.

Posts: 2361 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I had new carpet pulled and reinstalled in a few houses when I was building. Installers even had to remove the glue joins and were able to re-install the carpet without any issues. (one was a plumbing leak, copper pinholed during foundation pour from a sharp rock) the other was the customer did not like the "feel" of the padding. (so I had a lighter pad installed, and they were happy)

(the backing has a very wide amount of latitude on stretch.)

A lot of issue can arise by not stretching enough, but that is fixed by re-stretching and "kicking" as needed.

As "bryan11" stated, making sure they did not install something other than what you paid for.

And, heavier weight carpet is often not "better feel/perception" over a lighter weigh carpet. The heavier carpet can feel like your walking in thick mud, and the "perception" is that it is "not as good" as a lighter weight carpet in similar installation. (and heavier padding adds to that negative perception).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post