SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Considering German Shepherd for family-
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering German Shepherd for family- Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
We have a GSD, she is a great dog that can shed a sweater a day.

They are very loyal and protective dogs.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
German Shepherds are natural herders. You won't have to worry about the girls wandering off. They might even have difficulty trying to leave for school.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
German Shepherds are natural herders. You won't have to worry about the girls wandering off. They might even have difficulty trying to leave for school.

That's perfect! I actually walk my girls to and from school every day. So we plan to just add the dog to our routine.

I talked it over with the girls (incl wife) today, and we decided that we should get our dog in the Fall when school starts back up. With just over 2 weeks left before Summer break, which is when we will be back stateside for the whole Summer, it is just too much to add a dog in that short time. We all agreed September is our target. It gives us a little longer to research, continue to find the right one, etc.

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up with German Shepherds and loved them. But, like all big dogs, many have bad hips and can really go down hill early in their lives.

Be very careful with breeders, some don't care and you will end up with a crippled dog in 6 years.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
quote:

That's perfect! I actually walk my girls to and from school every day. So we plan to just add the dog to our routine.

I talked it over with the girls (incl wife) today, and we decided that we should get our dog in the Fall when school starts back up. With just over 2 weeks left before Summer break, which is when we will be back stateside for the whole Summer, it is just too much to add a dog in that short time. We all agreed September is our target. It gives us a little longer to research, continue to find the right one, etc.

The good breeders will have waiting lists, start calling and talking to folks now. Don't wait, you could get squeezed into a litter if you are lucky.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
quote:

Be sure and plan the adoption for a time when an adult will be able to spend most of the day with the dog for several days in a row, followed by gradually leaving him/her alone for longer and longer periods of time. The dog needs to have time to get comfortable in the new environment, bond with its new pack, come into happy submission to its new leaders, learn the rules of the home and how to kill time appropriately, and learn that the humans will leave for periods of time, but always return.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by rusbro:
[/QUOTE]

Be sure and plan the adoption for a time when an adult will be able to spend most of the day with the dog for several days in a row, followed by gradually leaving him/her alone for longer and longer periods of time. The dog needs to have time to get comfortable in the new environment, bond with its new pack, come into happy submission to it's new leaders, learn the rules of the home and how to kill time appropriately, and learn that the humans will leave for periods of time, but always return.[/QUOTE]

Great tip, and definitely the plan- more of a reason we will wait for September when we are back and settled into the school year with a bit of normalcy.

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

The good breeders will have waiting lists, start calling and talking to folks now. Don't wait, you could get squeezed into a litter if you are lucky.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yes, I have been having a dialog with the breeder I feel we will go with, and they now know our needs and wants. I feel like we are lined up appropriately. Seemingly they are not the type to get us into a dog that doesn't fit our needs.

Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Would recommend a King Shepherd. Straight rear stifle, less health problems. Cool

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We have our second, 1st gen. in the U.S., GSD from Kkl 1 working dog lines. This one will be 5 on July 4 and neither her, or our first one showed any signs of hip problems.

I think it would be great to get a pup from a breeder in Germany or the Czech Republic. Just visiting two or three kennels over there would be my idea of a good time. Wish you the best in your search.

What we really like about working dog import lines is their smaller size and athleticism. Our female is fully grown at 70 lbs. She is both quick and fast, and extremely agile. You would be amazed at what she is capable of in climbing a ladder, jumping up into the crotch of a tree, balancing on a fence rail, etc.

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had a GSD for a while, but I did have one out of German Working lines. My dogs sire was the German Sch champion for the year one year. He also sired the winner for another year.
The German lines have some slightly different personality traits. They are not undesirable but just good to know if you are training them.
I never thought I would get my dogs focus off of other dogs. He wanted to eat every dog he met.
The first day I brought him home, he locked onto the leg of the neighbors GSD and that dog drug him off before I could get him off.
Eventually we solved that problem and he was just great. He sired some great pups.
Females will be better with your girls, IMHO.
I am a little more intense, so I usually had males. Although one of the best dogs I ever had was a female. She tried harder to please me. Not sure if that was just her or females in general, since I have only had two ever.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
We have a 3yo male GSD named Zack. He's a wonderful companion for my wife and 6yo daughter.. and me! He's actually the second one I've had the pleasure of having in the family. We adopted a female Rottweiler after the first passed. I'll never own another Rottie, *way* too stubborn for my personality. The GSD on the other hand is damn near perfect, IMO. My only suggestions have mostly been mentioned. Buy from a reputable breeder with a guarantee. Do not buy from a backyard breeder. I wish all dogs could have a good home, but a poorly bred GSD will be wrought with health problems. I know that sounds cold, but it's true. Training is important, they love to work.. give them a job!

Zack "guarding" the little one Roll Eyes

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7067 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Some good info shared here and deserves some contemplation. I've trained and worked different dogs for bite work, tracking, and detection and Shepherds are my favorite breed. For a family dog I'd recommend getting a pup that grows up with your family. If you don't recognize temperament traits in pups, ask for help for the type of dog you want. Keep toys for your dog/pup. Train, train, train, exercise, exercise, exercise. Work dogs are doers and need to do. They also want to be near you and feel like part of the pack. In fact, having your GSD always with you when you're at home will make him protective and part of "the pack". Socialize young. Crate training is fine but make a reasonable schedule for feeding, potty, etc and stick with it. Dogs, like kids, thrive with routines, especially with the "pack". We have two indoor GSD's, one blond older female rescue and one 1.5 year old white male we've had since a pup. They couldn't be more different. The female rescue is low energy, loving, and lacks much confidence and was probably abused or neglected. She's happiest as a "at your feet and in the same room" dog. The male is a perfect work dog with high energy and a higher drive to play.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
When my wife was about 5 her parents got a police academy reject (she was afraid of gunshots!).
she was a great dog and when they moved out to the country "Judy" was charged with protecting my wife. As an example when my wife would go down to the lake Judy would just lean on her to prevent her from getting too close to the water.
She was a great dog and my wife still talks fondly of her.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Be cautious of buying from overseas breeders. Unless the breeder knows and trusts you, chances are they will sell you a lesser, or the poorest, quality dog they have.

I used to have a friend in one of the German police agencies. The above advice was from one of his K-9 officers, when I asked my friend if he could give me a recommendation on German breeders.

They will want to keep the better dogs for their breeding program and trusted associates.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post