SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Considering German Shepherd for family-
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering German Shepherd for family- Login/Join 
Picture of Mutiny
posted
Looking for the collective wisdom beyond watching and reading on the internet...the girls (6 and 5 yrs) want a dog. Wife and I are not strangers to raising dogs, in the past I have had an Alaskan Malamute and St. Bernard. Wife has had a Labradoodle so we spanned the dogs of all sizes but haven't had a dog since we had children. We would want a loyal family companion, family and home protection, and all around great dog but don't want high maintenance. I personally favor the larger working breeds, which has led me to the German Shepherds. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tremendous animals. Very loyal, very smart. Be certain that you have the collective energy and patience to properly educate one. Be prepared to train him or her. They learn extremely quickly, but they also aren't the best at being bored. Mine turned 12 last month and is starting to show his age, but I would do it all over again.

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I have two of them. They are the most loyal, sweetest breed ever. I would just caution that they should have a "job". Watching chickens, protecting the house/family, searching for things, shutzhund, etc. They will get a little stir crazy if they are left alone without exercise.

I would also recommend getting two (not from the same litter) from a reputable breeder, ask for hip and elbow guarantees as it is common in Germans.

Start training really young, ingrain the work ethic young and you won't have any problems.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
consider a good vacuum and implementation of it on regular.

I can't think of any other downside personally.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
don't want high maintenance

GSDs are wonderful dogs, but they're typically not couch potatoes. If you get one, do your best to try to find one with medium-to low-energy, but be prepared to provide daily structured exercise such as long, brisk walks, or runs, obedience training/reinforcement, and socialization with guests/people off property.

People often get power-breed dogs but aren't willing to put in the work it takes to keep the dog mentally and physically challenged on a daily basis, which can lead to destructive or even dangerous behaviors.

Also, it's not advisable to get a power-breed if either you or your wife aren't comfortable being a consistently calm but resolute authority figure to the dog. There always needs to be someone around the dog respects, especially with kids in the home. A lot of times when couples own a power-breed dog, the man will be more comfortable being appropriately authoritative with the dog, but the woman will be too much of a softie, meaning the dog won't respect her.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information so far.
- Any thoughts as to male or female ? as it relates to the temperament of GSD?
- I definitely understand the shedding as with my Malamute would blow his coat regularly.
- currently we spend some time of the year in Europe, and would prefer to buy it at a reputable breeder in Germany or Czech as there seem to be a lot of really good ones that have all the right paperwork, and health guarantees.
-more interested in a working dog vs show dog.

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Gsd is a pretty good family dog but they shed like crazy. They are good with kids. After ours passed we got a great dane and really she has been an even better house dog. Low energy and less maintenance than a german shepard.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Lots of excellent breeders here in the US, in fact probably a bit better than the European breeders. The problem with going with European breeder, is the guarantee really a guarantee under that country's laws? Also cost of shipping is going to be a lot more.

Here are a couple good breeders in the Missouri and Kansas area:

Weberhaus GSD:
I have a deposit down for a pup from one of the planned breedings:

Weberhaus GSD Planned Breedings

DDR/Czech working lines and Malinda is good people, talked to her twice for over an hour, she made sure to get me into the right litter for what I wanted.

Crooked Creek Ranch GSD:
Been to this one too. Her dogs are DDR/Czech lines with most being black, black/tan and sable colored. Good companion dogs that can do sport, police, and SAR work. I almost got a 6 month old pup (Stealth) from her but he ended up going to a trainer to be trained as a service dog for wounded vet.

Crooked Creek Ranch GSD

Crooked Creek Ranch GSD Facebook

Out on the west coast, I can recommend Vom Banach K9. I got my last GSD (a female) from this kennel, and she was the perfect dog to have and live with.

Vom Banach K9

You can get on the German Shepherd forums and see what kennels in your area are recommended and breeding good dogs.

As thoughts on female vs male, I have had both and both dogs were great with kids. Just remember if you get a female, you have to put up with her going into heat 2 or 3 times a year unless you get fixed after a couple years (I think that is the age they are recommending now).

Posts: 4054 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My two cents, get a pound or rescue dog that is vetted and preferably a young adult. Puppies are cute but the chewing and housebreaking stages can be tough.
You will have a better idea of what you will be getting in size, looks, temperament, etc.
I wouldn't get a larger dog, more medium size. They tend to live longer than larger dogs and less maintenance in almost all areas.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
Thanks for all the information so far.
- Any thoughts as to male or female ? as it relates to the temperament of GSD?
- I definitely understand the shedding as with my Malamute would blow his coat regularly.
- currently we spend some time of the year in Europe, and would prefer to buy it at a reputable breeder in Germany or Czech as there seem to be a lot of really good ones that have all the right paperwork, and health guarantees.
-more interested in a working dog vs show dog.

In my experience, males tend to be more dominant than females.

If you are looking at working dogs, they definitely need a strong leader. They need a job and regular exercise! If you don't provide these, they very likely will control your house and family or damage some of your property.

Socialization and obedience training is very important. Keep up with it.

If I remember correctly, Malamutes can be dominant. If that is the case, you probably have had an intro to what is needed with a GSD.

Invest in a prong/ pinch collar. It is a very effective and humane tool for obedience training/ walking. Make sure it fits properly.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Your new puppy will likely be with you when your 5 and 6 year old girls are well into high school. You are just at the begging of the busiest part of childhood. Sports, dance, school, etc...etc... These activities will soon begin and can reach an all consuming pace for many years to come. I would give this strong consideration before taking on a breed that will require significant attention, training and as someone else mentioned an ongoing job.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine life without a GSD. Had them growing up, and after a long hiatus, got our Jadis 4 years ago. I've never owned a male, only females.

I highly stress getting a good vacuum.
And you need to put in the time to really train them when they are young. But the rewards afterwards are immeasurable. I wouldn't train only as a home defense dog, but also agility, obedience, and socialization.

I've never had a more loyal breed. They were always protective of us when we were kids, but our current GSD is exquisitely protective, gentle, and playful.

They aren't low maintenance, and need to expel energy daily. If your home or yard is small, the GSD may not be the appropriate dog for you.

When we go away for trips and have to board her, we found a GSD-only farm locally that specializes in the breed. This was such a huge bonus for us. If you look around, you may find the same.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
+1 on German Shepherds.....I have been fortunate enough to have been able to have them in my life since the age of 19. A more loyal, loving dog I cannot imagine. We've had them from pups, they are so easy to train, and want to please you. Our last three were adopted, two from foster homes, and one from a shelter, at an older age, already housebroken, and once they realized this was their permanent home,and they were shown love and taught the rules, again, I could not ask for a better companion. As for needing a job, some are happier with that, yes, but all of ours just adapted to our needs and wants, and are just happy to spend time with us. Our current GSD, is the biggest we've ever had, tall, long, and around 100 lbs, is the biggest lover, cuddlebug and Velcro dog ever. He's the happiest when we are both home with him. They each have their own personality, of course, you just have to find out their quirks and how best they learn and interact. They are very protective, but also extremely gentle with their loved ones, especially when taught correctly. Ours knows the difference between playing rough with hubby, and playing with me, for example, and he knows he can be a little rougher with hubby. Sorry for the long post, but GSDs are a favorite and I could go on about them all day, ha. Good luck finding your new dog, and hope you are happy with your choice.

Posts: 1148 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
German Shepherds are my favorite dogs. Stella, my fourth GSD (in my 60's here) is just about 18 months old and loves the NC life. She lives with a 7 year old Pit and a 4 year old mixed rescue and they all get along great. As stated before, they do need a job, which could be as simple as walking, a lot. Great with kids... But, you will find tumbleweeds of fur daily. A Dyson and you will be fine. Get one, you will be surprised at how much they will love you...

Posts: 431 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
With kids, I went in different directions and had good luck.

I can't stand long hair dogs - grew up with long hair mutts - you want low maintenance, well get used o vacuuming, brushing, washing, trimming a Shepherd of any type.

My first dog was a beefy 90lbs Boxer who was the most loyal, trusted dog, ever. Some of them are high strung but he was chill after the puppy stages. Highly recommended and very kid friendly. They need exercise but once n adult, are happpy being cough potatoes after 5 minutes of throwing the ball once or twice a day.

Germans are great but I don't see them as remotely low maintenance and the ones that were left alone with working families were pretty destructive.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
great dane and really she has been an even better house dog. Low energy and less maintenance than a german shepard.
Another great option as long as the owner understands just how big Great Danes can get. Great animals, I currently have two of them (both males, one 130# one 170# and still growing). 2-3 x 5 minute jaunts around the yard is l they need (ideally), but not required if you have a long day.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We had many GSD and Malinois for K9 dogs that were members of the family when off duty. Breeding and training is extremely important. Health issues such as dysplasia ren in the breed. A few dollars more for a guaranteed dog now will save heartbreak later

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I will always have a German Shepherd. Best friends I have ever had.

They are smart and will require training. I spend 30-45 minute a day exercising my medium/high drive GSD's brain and body. The brain is just as important as the dogs body. They think and when they get bored they are...difficult.

GSD's have other health issues than hip and elbow conditions. Mega E is a big health too and can dramatically short your dogs life span. These issues are common in all larger dogs and not just shepherds.

Good luck on your new pup!

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
We are looking at Czech/DDR lines and have been discussing options with a good breeder in the EU. Hopefully this Summer or early Fall we will go look at the dogs in person.
I must be getting soft as I age- I've been telling my kids for several years no dog for us until they are much older and will take care of it. They must have worn me down!

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I had a German shedder but as my mom got older she wanted a "guard" dog so she now lives with her. She is a great dog, smart, loyal etc but as mentioned sheds like crazy. Others have mentioned Great Dane, currently have one, he is 170lbs and super lazy which is awesome. He gets crazy for about 2-3 minutes and then is good. Barks at the door when someone knocks so best of both worlds for guard dog duties and super low maintenance . Though he eats a lot.

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post