SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Classic Novels Get Revised for Today’s Readers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic Novels Get Revised for Today’s Readers Login/Join 
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted
These people have lost their minds! Roll Eyes

"As Classic Novels Get Revised for Today’s Readers, a Debate About Where to Draw the Line
Agatha Christie. Roald Dahl. Ian Fleming. Classics are being reworked to remove offensive language. But some readers wonder, when does posthumous editing go too far?"

"In Agatha Christie’s novels, terms like “Oriental,” “Gypsy” and “native” have been taken out, and revised versions of Ian Fleming’s “James Bond” books will be scrubbed of racist and sexist phrases. Classics by Roald Dahl have been stripped of adjectives like “fat” and “ugly” along with references to characters’ gender and skin color."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/0...stie-roald-dahl.html

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
This is scandalously wrong. No one has the right or authority to change an author's words! (I'm also against altering the words of Hymns to be more inclusive or remove the paternal/male nature of God. Jesus called God "father".)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I'm also against altering the words of Hymns to be more inclusive or remove the paternal/male nature of God. Jesus called God "father".)

A lot of that goes on.

Posts: 2795 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gunga Din isn't very long to start with. If they took out all the "racist" parts, it would be nothing much before, and rather less than half of that behind.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2074 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

terms like “Oriental,”
When I was in school, "The Orient" was the term that was used when speaking of Eastern Asia. "Oriental" was used to describe people or things associated with The Orient. It was not a disparaging term, nor viewed as racist. At some point (I didn't get the memo, so I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I became aware of it fairly recently), "Oriental" became a word that was no longer used by polite (politically correct) people, and "Asian" became the proper term.

If I look at a map or a globe, it appears to me that Asia encompasses a lot more territory than The Orient, so "Asian" is not as accurate when referring to the Far East.

It's even more confusing to me because I know many Chinese and Japanese people who describe themselves as "Oriental." There is a store nearby that proclaims itself, in huge letters over the front window, as an "Oriental Grocery," not an "Asian Grocery."

My observation is that a lot of our language is now being defined as offensive, and the people who are making those decisions are frequently "reformers" who are related to the allegedly insulted ethnic groups about as much as Elizabeth Warren is related to the Cherokee Nation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

terms like “Oriental,”
When I was in school, "The Orient" was the term that was used when speaking of Eastern Asia. "Oriental" was used to describe people or things associated with The Orient. It was not a disparaging term, nor viewed as racist. At some point (I didn't get the memo, so I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I became aware of it fairly recently), "Oriental" became a word that was no longer used by polite (politically correct) people, and "Asian" became the proper term.

If I look at a map or a globe, it appears to me that Asia encompasses a lot more territory than The Orient, so "Asian" is not as accurate when referring to the Far East.

It's even more confusing to me because I know many Chinese and Japanese people who describe themselves as "Oriental." There is a store nearby that proclaims itself, in huge letters over the front window, as an "Oriental Grocery," not an "Asian Grocery."

My observation is that a lot of our language is now being defined as offensive, and the people who are making those decisions are frequently "reformers" who are related to the allegedly insulted ethnic groups about as much as Elizabeth Warren is related to the Cherokee Nation.
You obviously don't get it. "Oriental" is bad because it includes such evil folk as the Japanese and Koreans, a population that is generally very industrious, morally cognizant, and has a high proportion of Christian adherents. The term "Asian" is good because is intended to include populations that reside in the Eastern Mediterranean, SE Asia, and Africa, almost exclusively adhering to the Islamic faith. It is probably not a coincidence that there is a definite political skew as well, the first group being generally more conservative than the latter. It basically comes down to yellow+Christian = bad, brown/black+Muslim = good, pretty simple really.

The real mystery is how do leftists reconcile their passions for "women's rights," "gay liberation," and "gender fluidity" with the teachings of Muhammad (as applied in the contemporary world) which abhors such concepts? Maybe not such a mystery, hypocrisy never seems to be in short supply among leftists.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

The real mystery is how do leftists reconcile their passions for "women's rights," "gay liberation," and "gender fluidity" with the teachings of Muhammad (as applied in the contemporary world) which abhors such concepts? Maybe not such a mystery, hypocrisy never seems to be in short supply among leftists.

Simple. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". Anything which is perceived by leftists as something conservatives oppose becomes the best thing ever. Though conservatives generally don't oppose Islam (just violent extremist Muslims), the leftists don't see nuance, only group affiliation, so they think conservatives hate all Muslims. Thus the strictest version of Islam is the best, in the eyes of leftists.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Being married to a Chinese Mainlander, I can tell you the last person in the world who gets offended by "oriental" is an Asian person. They couldn't care less and laugh what a silly people we have become.

Posts: 3563 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Here in Utah, when the high schooler wore a Chinese dress to prom, it was white liberal women who led the outrage. The Chinese, to their credit, made a statement of support, saying they were pleased by the show of their traditional culture.

Changing historic novels is very 1984. “Your chocolate ration has been increased!” Anybody know how they plan on handling Mark Twain? Non-native Jim, perhaps?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the OP.....which group is it that relentlessly complains about banning books and attempting to find irony? These people re-writting established literature are blind to the irony to which they argue and protest.

As to the usage of Oriental....

Oriental = refers to a style type usually furniture, rugs, jewelry, font, architecture, decor, etc.
Asian = people

Referring to people of the Far East as Oriental is just inconsistent and out-of-date terminology; people who live in the Far West or, are of Western culture, aren't referred to as Occidentals. The only time you'd see the term Occidental used was in literature from the mid-20th century and earlier; hence Christie's use of Oriental is period-correct terminology. As more Asians settled in the US, succeeding generations grew, mixed-racial marriages and travel expanded, English terminology has focused on saying Asian in a general term instead of Oriental, or, being more specific since people are better able to distinguish if between Chinese or, Vietnamese or, Japanese, etc.

In the UK, Asian usually refers to those who are of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi decent, and East Asian was those of Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Thai/Vietnamese.... In the US, those of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi decent are referred to as South Asian. English is an imperfect language.

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Being married to a Chinese Mainlander, I can tell you the last person in the world who gets offended by "oriental" is an Asian person. They couldn't care less and laugh what a silly people we have become.

All the Asians I know are too busy working hard, making money and minding their own business to give a rat's ass about B.S. like this.

This whole "WOKE" agenda is not a grassroots movement. It's too bad the idealistic libtard airheads don't realize they are being used.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Here in Utah, when the high schooler wore a Chinese dress to prom, it was white liberal women who led the outrage. The Chinese, to their credit, made a statement of support, saying they were pleased by the show of their traditional culture.

Changing historic novels is very 1984. “Your chocolate ration has been increased!” Anybody know how they plan on handling Mark Twain? Non-native Jim, perhaps?
Mark Twain has already been handled--they took his books out of the school libraries and off the reading lists.

I agree that "Asian" as a substitute for "Oriental" is too vague. I use "Far East" for that area.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I read about Roald Dahl's books awhile back, in particular Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I have an original hardcover copy from the early 60s that I bought for my son maybe 20 years ago. It has all of the original words. But Netflix recently bought Dahl's catalog and have "edited" the books. Here some examples (not all of them) from the book, original text on the left:

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unbelievable. Mad

No doubt, they will remove all of the org. copies from schools, libraries, etc. in the coming years.

-- George Orwell

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember studying Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice in school. There was a project and for the project, I memorized the speech that goes something like, "Am I not a Jew?..."

I guess that one doesn't get covered anymore.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post