SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Direct TV dropping Newsmax
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direct TV dropping Newsmax Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
This would REALLY piss me off. Hopefully Congress gets involved. This censorship bullshit has got to stop.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfr...23/01/24/id/1105756/

Several dozen Republican lawmakers have voiced serious concerns about DirecTV’s alleged plans to “deplatform” and censor Newsmax from its channel lineup as early as midnight on Tuesday.

Last Friday, Rep. Wesley Hunt, R-Texas, and 41 other Republican House members signed a letter sent to AT&T, DirecTV, and hedge fund TPG Capital, the minority operator of the satellite system.

Hunt’s letter stated that the members of the House Republican Conference are “deeply concerned about this undemocratic assault on free speech.”

If Newsmax is deplatformed, it would be the second time AT&T’s DirecTV has deplatformed a major conservative news channel in the past year.

Newsmax, the nation’s fourth highest-rated cable news channel and a top 20 channel overall, has been carried on all major cable systems.

DirecTV has continued to claim that the moves against OAN and Newsmax were for cost-cutting reasons, but dozens of liberal news, information, and entertainment channels — with far less ratings than Newsmax and OAN — have been consistently renewed by DirecTV.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
saw that, good reason to dump DirecTV, they get enough calls of intent to cancel and they'll reconsider, if not, it's probably gone...

Honestly I don't watch news on TV anymore so it won't matter to me, but it is problematic if they are dropping conservative channels only.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Absolutely great reason to drop them. AT&T is the parent company good reason to take your business elsewhere.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forget DirectTV. You can watch Newsmax online for free. I have it on in the background of my laptop during the day. I also have a Newsmax app on my Roku, so I can watch it that way as well.

We just moved into another town / house, and between regular TV channels I can get by an antenna, as well as the Roku, I don't need cable or other services like DirectTV. I have a dish on the "new" house, but this Spring I'm going to take it down and put up a good antenna in its place.

Good luck.

Posts: 489 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way to change their behavior is for enough customers to stop sending them money. Similar to what happened to Disney.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glynn863:
Forget DirectTV. You can watch Newsmax online for free. I have it on in the background of my laptop during the day. I also have a Newsmax app on my Roku, so I can watch it that way as well.
The NewsMax app is also available on Apple TV and, last I knew, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV (now Google TV, I think) streamers, as well.

Screw Direct TV.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glynn863:
Forget DirectTV. You can watch Newsmax online for free.

Yeah, I've got the app on my AppleTV.

DTV's canceling of them and OAN is blatant censorship of conservative news and should not be allowed to happen. This is no different than Twitter, Facebook, Google, et al, canceling conservative viewpoints. The left is winning and it must be stopped.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Screw Direct TV.
Well, that's hardly missing the point, at all. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I just signed up with Dish tonight. They will install their dish where my DirecTV dish is currently located and hook up the box on Tuesday as I am busy on Saturday.

As soon as it is up and running I will be cancelling DirecTV.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
With the advent of YouTube TV and Sling etc there’s really no reason to even get a dish anymore IMO unless you live in the sticks with a crappy internet connection.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
We dropped Direct Tv when they cut OAN and have been streaming tv since.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Be sure to tell them why you're leaving.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Be sure to tell them why you're leaving.
Oh, not to worry- if you tell DTV that you're leaving, they will ask you about thirty times why you're doing so. They'll send you to their "retention team" who will do everything but blow you in order to get you to stay.

I've been a DTV customer for just shy of twenty years and they increase the price every year. Because of this thread, I took a look at Dish's site and their rates appear to be less. You have to factor in the monthly cost of equipment, taxes and maintenance fees, but even with that, it still looks like Dish is cheaper and you get to lock in your monthly rate for three years (with a two year contract, and that's no problem for me).

For the first time, I am seriously considering leaving DTV.

Here's a tip for all you DTV customers- if you call in for whatever and you're stuck on hold, hang up, call back, and when the IVR asks you "In a few words, please tell me why you're calling today" (or to that effect) all you have to do is say one word: "Cancel".

You'll have a live person on your phone in about 30 seconds.

And, yeah, I despise AT&T

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

For the first time, I am seriously considering leaving DTV.

Here's a tip for all you DTV customers- if you call in for whatever and you're stuck on hold, hang up, call back, and when the IVR asks you "In a few words, please tell me why you're calling today" (or to that effect) all you have to do is say one word: "Cancel".

You'll have a live person on your phone in about 30 seconds.

If only ADT (Security Alarm) had the same procedure. Frown
Once you decide to quit they will put you in a queue and for me it was over an hour.
The kicker is that it is the ONLY way to cancel (by phone).
That stunt alone is why I will never use them again.
Sorry but I digress... Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post