SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Peeling garlic, quick, easy, fast and painless.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peeling garlic, quick, easy, fast and painless. Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I have cooked my whole life. Mrs. Cooker and I also use a lot of garlic. I mean a lot of garlic. We used to buy a five pound bag of peeled garlic at Pal-do World in Tacoma, but now that isn’t an option. (We run all our garlic through a sausage grinder and store it in the fridge. It lasts forever, discoloring, but never goes bad).

I have been buying bunches of garlic, and peeling by hand, which is a sticky, slow process.

How to do it fast and easy...
Take two or three bunches of garlic. Smack the root on the counter a couple times and break away the cloves. Throw the everything but the root in a steel bowl. Bigger the better. Get another bowl, same size or close to it. Put them together to make a steel ball with the garlic inside.
Hold tight and shake it vigorously for about thirty seconds. Open it up and you’ll have most all the cloves peeled. The ones that didn’t peel, the skin comes off super easy.

I cannot believe it took me 45 years to find this out. I can’t wait to buy a couple bags from Costco.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Even easier. Take knife you will use to cut up garlic and cutting board you'd already be using too. Place garlic on cutting board. Position knife on top of garlic horizontally then smack blade with palm.

Super easy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
That only does one clove at a time. I need to do hundreds. I usually grind up about 5 pounds at a time. Lasts about 2-3 months or so.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to do hundreds.

Eek Eek Eek Eek Eek Eek

I thought I loved garlic...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
I need to do hundreds.

Eek Eek Eek Eek Eek Eek

I thought I loved garlic...

Getting ready for Halloween?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Something like what Chef John does?

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Costco sells it whole and peeled. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I need to do hundreds. I usually grind up about 5 pounds at a time. Lasts about 2-3 months or so.

I bet you just smell fabulous. Lol

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I saw a documentary that showed Chinese garlic being peeled for sale in the USA they used their teeth. I won’t buy whole peeled garlic anymore. If you do, wash it thoroughly.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
For garlic to effective, it has to be exposed to the air for at least 15 minutes.
How long does allicin last after crushing garlic?
In the case of allicin, the resulting sulfuric acids react with each other to form a thiosulfinate known as allicin (half-life in crushed garlic at 23°C is 2.5 days). The formation of thiosulfinates is very rapid and has been found to be complete within 10 to 60 seconds of crushing garlic.

https://www.google.com/search?...maCeUQ4dUDCAo&uact=5
Garlic does have lots of benefits but I think you need to process it just before it is used and add it to your cooking at the end because heat destroys some of its properties. So look at the half life of only 2.5 days.

https://articles.mercola.com/s...benefits-garlic.aspx

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
For garlic to effective, it has to be exposed to the air for at least 15 minutes.
How long does allicin last after crushing garlic?
In the case of allicin, the resulting sulfuric acids react with each other to form a thiosulfinate known as allicin (half-life in crushed garlic at 23°C is 2.5 days). The formation of thiosulfinates is very rapid and has been found to be complete within 10 to 60 seconds of crushing garlic.

https://www.google.com/search?...maCeUQ4dUDCAo&uact=5
Garlic does have lots of benefits but I think you need to process it just before it is used and add it to your cooking at the end because heat destroys some of its properties. So look at the half life of only 2.5 days.

https://articles.mercola.com/s...benefits-garlic.aspx

I wondered about that with preprocessed garlic. Always found aroma and taste to be better if you peel yourself and use quickly.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
I use to peel and cut up the garlic and then put it in the pan. I was doing it wrong all that time and not getting the full benefits.

Dr Mercola's emails are very educational and he also has articles about growing different things in your garden.

He also sponsors Karen Becker's site on pet health. She is one of the best.

https://healthypets.mercola.co...dr-karen-becker.aspx

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If you don’t need to peel a TON, but don’t want to crush the cloves:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...tail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I seldom use as much garlic as I think I should because I wimp out on the peeling process.

And this is another question for the mysteries:
Who discovered the trick, and how?

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Costco sells it whole and peeled. Wink

Yep, and it is treated with some preservatives I prefer to not eat.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Been doing it that way for all my life. You should have asked me about it sooner Wink

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw a documentary that showed Chinese garlic being peeled for sale in the USA they used their teeth.

I saw where Chinese garlic is grown in fields irrigated with toxic water. Only buy US or Mexican Garlic. Also the smell of Chinese garlic is bad.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4344 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
I saw a documentary that showed Chinese garlic being peeled for sale in the USA they used their teeth.

I saw where Chinese garlic is grown in fields irrigated with toxic water. Only buy US or Mexican Garlic. Also the smell of Chinese garlic is bad.

Most everything grown in China is fertilized with human waste.

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried it with one bulb (multiple cloves) and it didn’t work as easily as pictured in the video. After 30 seconds, exactly one clove was peeled (but very thoroughly). After 90 seconds of shaking as vigorously as I could manage, most were peeled, but not all. Does having more cloves in the bowls help the process? Does the garlic’s freshness make a difference?

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Well, I tried it with one bulb (multiple cloves) and it didn’t work as easily as pictured in the video. After 30 seconds, exactly one clove was peeled (but very thoroughly). After 90 seconds of shaking as vigorously as I could manage, most were peeled, but not all. Does having more cloves in the bowls help the process? Does the garlic’s freshness make a difference?

You need either more cloves or a smaller bowl

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post