SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's on the grill/smoker today?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's on the grill/smoker today? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
ribeyes

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yesterday did a 17# brisket and three 8# butts on the Lang. Just right for the 5 of us!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
There needs to be more pictures in this thread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Last weekend I smoked and reverse-seared two ginormous sirloins (2+ inches and 2+ lbs apiece) for Mother's Day.

Today I have a 2.5 pound chuck roast on the smoker.

Next weekend will be babyback ribs.

What's on yours?

How do you do your chuck roast? I've not experimented enough on the smoker because oven w/ onion and carrots like Momz used to do keeps Momz happy, now that I'm doing the Sunday cooking for Momz and family. Big Grin

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Beef short ribs. They were great, maybe needed just a tad longer.

Beefy goodness.....I mean AWESOMENESS

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
ribeyes
Damn, a good ribeye sounds tasty right now. Best steak out there.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
How do you do your chuck roast? I've not experimented enough on the smoker because oven w/ onion and carrots like Momz used to do keeps Momz happy, now that I'm doing the Sunday cooking for Momz and family. Big Grin

I'm not an expert of chucks, but I do mine similar to a pork butt. Inject and marinate overnight. Apply dry rub. Smoke at 225ish to 160ish internal. Wrap in foil and continue to 205ish internal. Stick in cooler to rest for 1-2 hours. Shred for pulled beef.

While I've only done a few chuck roasts, they seem to be more hit-or-miss than something like a pork butt. I can do a fantastic fall-apart pork butt every time with minimal effort, but my chucks aren't always as tender/pullable as I'd like every time. Most have been fine, but I've had a few that I was able to pull partway, and had to slice the rest into thin pieces. That's what happened tonight as well. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, since my technique, time, and temps stay the same, so I'm thinking it has more to do with the internal makeup of each chuck.

Some people like to braise their chucks in a covered foil pan with either beer, or beef broth, or BBQ sauce for the last few hours. (Sometimes with veggies too, like a pot roast.) But I've never had an issue with my chucks needing extra moisture.

However, I might try that method next time, and let it sit in the container with the braising liquid for a few extra hours on the smoker. Sorta like a "smoker crockpot". That could allow it to remain in the smoker longer without any issues with drying out, and could ensure that the chuck is always fully pullable.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^
Good info actually. It reassures me as I've run into similar problems w/ my few attempts. Yeah, it ain't no pork shoulder/butt.

I've got a pan that fits a "V" rack into it. I was thinking of putting the roast in there and supplying the pan w/ plenty of liquid, which I don't normally need to do in the BGE.
Maybe tent some foil over it part way through.
Gives me some ideas.
"We're all in this together." Big Grin

Until then, I am going to do that Chili-lime-marinated chicken breast. Sounds incredible.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I did 3 Chickens yesterday on my Pit Barrel CookerSmile

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
German style Pork Belly..... on Cabbage.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
There needs to be more pictures in this thread.

I can help. No pics of butts, gave one away to neighbor, wrapped on for freezer and gave one to daughter. Beginning, middle and end of brisket. I sorta lost control of the meat board at the end to the vandals lurking about....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
This weekend it was pizza, turned out delicious, but found out my yeast was past expiration - dough didn't rise as well as normal...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boneless pork chops yesterday for my daughter's 18th birthday.
It was a good day until she announced that she is leaving with her Mom for Salt Lake City in 2 weeks.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beef short ribs and boneless pork ribs, cooking enough so I should have leftovers...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
4 Chickens and a Pork Butt Razz

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to try my first ever beef chuck roast(5 lbs) in my smoker. I just applied my rub this morning and then wrapped it in clear wrap and back into the fridge until Monday A.M. All total, I plan for approx. 10 hours of time @ 210-225F in my smoker. I have high hopes that it will turn out tender and juicy. If you don't hear back, I failed!!

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Eight racks of St.Louis ribs on my 22" WSM- XMAS gift from sons....the tribe will descend upon my domicile in ~2 hours

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My wife out did herself. Two potato grenades on the smoker, yum!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I started last night with an 18.5lb packer's cut brisket. Trimmed it down to about 15lbs and put it on the egg at 220 degrees at 7:00 PM. Pulled it at 5:30 today when internal temp hit 201 degrees. It's been wrapped in foil and a towel in the Yeti cooler for about an hour....gonna rest it another hour.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prime brisket went on about 0730

Trimmed to about 10.5# rubbed and in the fridge over night

B&B oak blend lump with chunks of Sumrall MS pecan and cherry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post