SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Do You Deal With Mosquitoes ?!?!?!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Deal With Mosquitoes ?!?!?! Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for opinions and suggestions. So far, I ordered some Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent (lotion) and a 2 boxes of Spartan Mosquito Eradicators. Seemed the easiest, most cost effective and environment friendly things to try first. Hope I don't have to step up my game.

EDIT: Oh, and taking a long look at bat houses but I'm not located in prime bat habitat ... although I see them flying around from time to time. Seems to be a good bit to learn about proper bat husbandry and a pretty good investment to set up properly. I'll continue to research it at Bat Conservation International and their resources.

Posts: 4705 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a ton of mosquitos in my backyard. My daughter and wife get giant welts from their bites, so I had to do something. No standing water in my yard, no idea what caused the issue.

I started doing two things at the same time and now we never see one all summer. I use the Spartan Mosquito eradicator and set them up at the far end of the yard. I use two at a time and put one in each corner. I will be putting those up soon and switch them out around July. The other thing I do is once a month I spray Cutter Backyard.

This works great for me.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Permethrin is a non-toxic repellent you spray on clothes. Sawyer’s also sells this. It works very well, and can be used along with picaridin.
Once sprayed on clothes they can be washed multiple times (maybe 25) before needing to be sprayed again.

Another method: Off! Clip-On mosquito repellent; battery-powered fan blows a non-smelly repellent around you; you have to replace repellent-soaked pads in the unit.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Permethrin is a non-toxic repellent you spray on clothes. Sawyer’s also sells this. It works very well, and can be used along with picaridin.
Once sprayed on clothes they can be washed multiple times (maybe 25) before needing to be sprayed again.

Permethrin is awesome. I give it to friends and family when they travel to buggy countries and have used it quite a bit myself.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My county has managed to kill off all the bees from us back yard bee keepers with the damn spraying trucks,good job you assholes,and we still have the mosquitoes.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Eliminating any standing water goes a long way in dealing with this. Missouri people love their ponds, and will then spend the entire summer bitching about the mosquitoes.

We have no standing water near us and seldom have a big issue with mosquitoes.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5043 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the Spartan last year. 4 of them on 1/3 acre. Didn’t do a thing

Granted I live in the middle of the bayou

What I did find that works, expensive yes, was the mega-catch with CO2

I was unable to sit outside during the evening swarm, after a few weeks it had knocked the population down I now can

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6232 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
no problem where we live now, but back in the day, we used mosquito coils.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Typically, around here, they are only bad from about 3PM on. They were so bad here last year, they were thick all day long. Billions of the little blood sucking bastards from before sunrise to after sunset. I had to put on my bee suit to go out and weed the garden or mow the lawn. It was horrible. DEET was like crack to them. Picaridin helped a little, but they'd just look at you with a sly smile and say, "That's all you got?".

Lots of flooding and run-off was the cause and we'll likely have a repeat this year.

Thankfully, our season only lasts through June. After that it dries out and they die off. The rest of the summer is not an issue at all.

Posts: 20117 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
My adopted daughter eats one clove of garlic every day, mosquitoes do not bother her! I tried it and it works, but would rather just wear clothes and relax and enjoy them.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys... Now I feel itchy...lol

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So Mark, Keto diet: weight loss and mosquito repellent in one?

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I live in places where they don’t. Smile

That and Tobasco sauce in my blood! Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post