SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore mayor, at anti-gun rally, suggests boxing matches could settle 'beef'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore mayor, at anti-gun rally, suggests boxing matches could settle 'beef' Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Sooo, fight club then? Great idea! I was thinking maybe coloring books, but his idea might even be better. Good luck Baltimore!

The new mayor of Baltimore — one of America's most dangerous cities — wants rival factions to put down their guns and put up their dukes.

During a Sunday speech at an anti-gun violence rally, Mayor Bernard "Jack" Young — who took office after Catherine Pugh resigned in May amid scandal — advocated organized fights as a means to solve disputes without using weapons.

"There's mediation. If they wanna really settle them, we can have them down at the Civic Center, put a boxing ring up, and let them go and box it out," Young told WBAL.

He said that if boxing were the option, "the best man win, and the beef should be over."

"Those are some kind of things that I'm thinking about, and hoping that we can get these people to put these guns down," Young said.

The mayor's comments came only hours after a 17-year-old boy was fatally shot in Baltimore on Sunday. Five other people were also injured in four separate shootings during the day, police said.

The city of Baltimore is one of the most dangerous in America, according to the FBI, totaling more than 300 homicides for four years running.

Baltimore has been in the throes of a steep rise in violent crime since 2015, when the homicide rate spiked amid the city’s worst rioting in decades following the death of Freddie Gray, a black man who died in police custody.

In 2017, the FBI placed the city on its "Crime in the U.S." list. Baltimore was listed well above that of any other large American metropolis, with the 342 homicides notched that year yielding a stunning homicide rate of 56 per 100,000 people.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/bal...-matches-settle-beef

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sure. Have a boxing match. The winner gets to shoot the loser.

My solution makes as much sense as theirs.

Guns are not the problem. I believe they know the actual problem but are incapable of admitting to it.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I actually think it's a fairly bold initiative. If you can convert the gun fighters to boxing, then it's just a short move to convert the boxers to rock/paper/scissors. Violence problem solved! Cool

posted Hide Post
have the city sell tickets at 10 bucks a pop, winner for the fights split the takings 50% to the winners, 50 to the city.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Dancing, like the Jets and the Sharks. Society is to blame ya know.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many people will get shot at these boxing events? Maybe not such a bad idea...armor up the interior walls of the arena and let em go. Invite the rappers too while you’re at it!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3450 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Because really all these local Scamps just want a little tussle to get out the pent up energy and get some bragging rights.

It’s not like these folks are violent animals with no regard for life or respect for their fellow man.

I mean hell why don’t we just nip that whole Arab vs Jews bruhaha in the bud with a new MMA league. It’ll be great fun for all, bring in funds for the region and bring everybody together bring peace and a realization that we are not all that different after all to the region. AMIRIGHT. Roll Eyes

FFS these “leaders” make my brain hurt.

I got a better idea for these folks. Paintball matches......with real guns. In a nice ballistically controlled arena.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Hey, I know! Why not have midnight basketball? Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Thunderdome.

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
What an incredibly stupid thing for the mayor to say.

One of Baltimore's biggest problems is that thugs rule the streets.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe the Mayor has not watched the Wire. I would suggest that as a start. Maybe he should call Nancy Pelosi for some advice on how to deal with the boyz in the Hood.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, elderly people and womenfolk can take boxing lessons and go mano-a-mano with burglars and home invaders to keep from being robbed or killed.

Good plan, Mr Mayor man.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Thunderdome.

Two men enter, one man leaves.

Its Baltimore for God's sake.
They can't count that high.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well, remember it is Baltimore

you're not dealing with a pool of the best and brightest

most of them moved out

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Like West Side Story? Awesome! Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
What an incredibly stupid thing for the mayor to say.

One of Baltimore's biggest problems is that thugs rule the streets.

It's an unserious solution proposed by an unserious mayor. To say that this is a sophomoric endeavor would do a disservice to sophomoric endeavors. Truly pathetic.

Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
They need to build a new roman colosseum in Baltimore. Add a roof and some air-conditioning. Sell tickets.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Have yo mama contests instead. Need new material, stuff out there now is getting stale.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I actually think it's a fairly bold initiative. If you can convert the gun fighters to boxing, then it's just a short move to convert the boxers to rock/paper/scissors. Violence problem solved! Cool

Nah, I have a bold initiative for ya. Invite all the gang bangers who wanna rumble to the civic center.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well then it's settled. Pay per view, Thunderdome style. May as well make some money for the city.

"Two men enter one man leaves"

Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post