SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Move music from iTunes to FIRE?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Move music from iTunes to FIRE? Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted
Anyone know if it's possible to transfer music, etc. from the iTunes on my computer to my Kindle FIRE 7? Most of my Google search is years old. Thanks.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Anyone know if it's possible to transfer music, etc. from the iTunes on my computer to my Kindle FIRE 7? Most of my Google search is years old. Thanks.
Possible? Of course it's possible. However, neither Apple nor Amazon wants you to be able to do this, so it won't be easy, and certainly not using the tools that they make available.

I suspect that you will have to export individual songs from iTunes (Apple Music, the successor to iTunes, has no Export function, so this means some non-Apple utility) and then transcode them into MP3 files, and then import them into whatever music app you are using on the Fire (this should be the easy part). Of course, metadata associated with the songs (Artist/Album/etc.) will not be preserved/transferred, and will have to recreated manually. You will also lose such niceties as album art and the like, although there are online libraries that will help repopulate these data.

Altogether, maybe a lot more work than it might be worth.

Of course, there is also the consideration that Amazon's version of Android is not guaranteed to run Android apps that are distributed through Google Play, so your options will be limited here as well.

If any of your music is "protected" by DRM, the barriers get really tall. You might have to play the songs on your iDevice, and record them on the target device.

Another approach that might be worth exploring would be to set up a media server that will read your music library (this would be on a computer system, not an iPhone) and share the songs over your network. The Fire should be able to rip the songs from the media server (with appropriate third-party software). There will be a long learning curve associated with this strategy.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
>sigh< I was afraid of that. Thanks, architect.

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
What is the file type you are dealing with?

My wife's old iDrive BMW sound system stored about 2,000 songs off her CDs.

Her new BMW doesn't have CD capability and doesn't recognize the old br25 files we downloaded from the older car.

I found a program that converted the songs, song titles and album covers to MP3s and it worked perfectly.

Maybe something exists for you as well?

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
To be honest lbj, I'm about 2-3 rungs above Luddite. I was hoping that by this point in technology some enterprising techie would have developed a program or app that would take the iTunes music on my PC, run it through the magic and spit it out the other side ready to be imported to my Kindle Fire. For good or ill, "saving here, filing there, download this to the cloud then etc., etc." usually buzzes right over my head.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this will help. But it appears it might be possible.

https://www.bing.com/search?fo...tunes+to+amazon+fire

Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
According to the Apple Discussions the files can be dragged and dropped to a USB drive in their native AAC format. From there, there are several ways to convert AAC to MP3. However according to TECHNIPAGES the Kindle Fire supports non-DRM AAC, MP3, AMR, MIDI, OGG, WAV, and MP4 file formats for music. There are a couple of different ways you can copy your music files over to the device. One method involves uploading your files to Amazon’s Cloud service, the other option involves transferring files to the memory of the device. If it were me, I keep a copy on a flash drive of some kind and make another as a backup copy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I think Amazon and/or Apple caught on and now neither of those methods are available. Thanks, guys.

posted Hide Post
I went through that crap when my computer crashed. Just trying to recover my music from my iPod back to my new computer was a nightmare. Afraid of that happening again, I tried to save the files as standalone files to make another potential crash easier to recover, and while possible as pointed out above, many steps to include different programs needing to be downloaded made me decide to just boycott Apple products as they "do not play well with others".

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I encourage you to remain in the Apple ecosystem. Purchase a used iPad tablet rather than crossng the chasm to Amazon FIRE.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
If you can export files to AAC format, they can be converted to MP3.

The program I used to convert BMW iDrive br25 files converts them to AAC first then to MP3.

However, that program only accepts br files to start the conversion. But there are others that will convert AAC files.

SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Thanks lbj. I’ll see what I can find.