SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iTunes Help Needed...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iTunes Help Needed... Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I am having a weird issue on my iPod Touch and my iPhone regarding music playback. It stays in "shuffle" mode no matter what, and I cannot get either device to play in order again. Looking at the online manuals from Apple does no good either! It used to play songs in order like it should, but now it doesn't.

I know, I know... I'm weird. I like keeping my music separate from my phone, primarily because I can practice bass guitar along with it without any digital interruptions (calls, text, notifications, etc.)

The iPod is a 5th gen model, and it looks and works like new... except for this little problem. That model does not update past iOS 9.3.5, which is what version it has on it. My phone is a 12S Plus and is updated to whatever the latest version is, and it exhibits the same problem!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If all else fails, I'll take it over to the Apple Store and see what they can tell me.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serious question, have you reset both devices?

I wish you good luck. I've used Itunes for years. My biggest gripe is that their support of it absolutely sucks. Kind of wish I had never gone down that specific rabbit hole but I'm financially committed to it now.

Posts: 1971 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you display the album cover while the song is playing, then touch the cover art, a slider will appear and the selection for random or repeat will show up.

Posts: 197 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I had the same happen in the past - this is an annoying setting they sort of hid rather than make it right up front (or put in the music settings page). It's not very intuitive - I had to look it up to figure it out.

On either device (depending on how you filter your library, I do it by Artist):
Filter your library by Artists.
Select an artist (should show all the albums you have of this artist).
Select an album (should show all the songs on this album).
Select a song in the album list to play. (you could start here if you filter your library by song).
When you select a song and it is playing, it will also show up in a small field at the bottom of the screen (with the play/pause controls showing).
Select the song in that small field.
That will bring up the song/artist info and some controls (volume, play/pause, skip).

On the ipod touch at the bottom of the screen it should show the "crossed arrows for shuffle" and "circular arrows for repeat". Select the circular arrows for repeat and you can tap a few times for it to show a 1 in the arrows and that will just play the album/songs in order and stop, or you tap it to remove the one and (and just have the circular arrows) it will repeat the song/album over and over until you change the song/album. The arrows icon will be slightly shaded with your selection. Select the go back arrow in the upper left - brings you back the the album/song menu. This is now your default setting for the entire library.

On your iphone it will be similar, but at the bottom song/artist info field there will be an little icon showing 3 dots/3 dashes. Select that (it may be showing the shuffle arrows) and it will bring up a field showing Playing Next and beside that the crossed shuffle arrows and the circular repeat arrows. Select the circular arrows and again tap to select the arrows with 1 or just the circular arrows for continuous repeat. Tap the 3 dot/3 dash icon and that will bring you back a step and should show your (repeat circular arrows) selection above the dots/dashes. Use the finger slide from top to bottom to bring you back to the album/song menu. This is now your default setting for the entire library.

If it ever gets screwed up, go back to a song and reselect the circular repeat arrows.

Also ignore the main shuffle arrows when going in by artist/album/song - this only screws up the setting you did above. That is where you should be able to set this, but it doesn't and they didn't ask me. The older classic ipod's had this as an easy setting on the settings page - go figure.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Powers77: I have already reset the iPod Touch but haven't set it back up yet due to being sick the past few days. The iPhone I have not reset as the next two suggestions allowed me to change that setting on the phone, so it's fine now.

ltz400 and 2012BOSS302: Both of your suggestions are spot-on for the phone. I just have to set the iPod back up and see what happens on it.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
After much delay, I have finally solved the iPod shuffling issue! Resetting the whole iPod did not work because once I downloaded my backup, all the settings came with it. I then decided to reset ONLY the "settings" to factory default, and that fixed the music shuffling issue!

Hope this info might help someone in the future, and thanks again for all of the feedback!