SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Vietnam Door Gunner-Crew Chief A Proud Story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Vietnam Door Gunner-Crew Chief A Proud Story Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks for posting.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Well worth watching, thanks.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Brave men and women flew in helicopters in Southeast Asia.

I hear people say we "lost" that war.

Then I look at images like this and I observe "We did?" because that looks like the capital of a capitalist nation to me.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I really enjoyed watching this.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
My neighbor was a door gunner with the Centaurs based at Cu Chi in 1967. That was some dangerous business. He didn't make it through his first tour but is still around to tell about it.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I graduated college in 1974 and was working for a local retailer at the time to pay my way through. We hired a fresh-back-to-the-world GI who had served as a door gunner on a rescue chopper.

A nicer guy you couldn't imagine. But he had lost all sense of propriety and decorum. I guess when you've looked into the doors of Hell, nothing can ever be the same again.

Thanks for sharing.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that was a gunner. I don't know if he would want to walk down the memory isle ...but it did give me some insight on what he probably went through.
I was in between wars ...Never even thought about joining ....wish I would have now ...
Thank you to all that served ...

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
The neighbor I was speaking of was diagnosed with PTSD. He had held it all in for years. Part of therapy was the suggestion he tell the story. He wrote it all down. He was kind enough to trust me with the pages. It's not something he shares readily. It was an honor to be one of the few.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
A nicer guy you couldn't imagine. But he had lost all sense of propriety and decorum. I guess when you've looked into the doors of Hell, nothing can ever be the same again.

Thanks for that response fpuhab.

I agree. This was a fucked up way to spend your "learning years".

My best friend flew snakes, (he was four years older than me) and taught me how to do a layup, how to hit opposing players in football, and how to pick up babes. My parents loved him. Good Lord I grew up lucky. God Bless America!

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
That was very well done and well worth a little break mid work day to watch.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. My cousin was a door gunner. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post.

I was not there for I was a little to young at the time for I graduated high school in ‘74.
A few of my older friends were there as were a few of my friends’ older brothers.

I have seen some of their photo albums.

I remember the homecoming they were given.

I truly respect all those that were there and all that have served for our country.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this.

Good Lord!! That was an awesome video. The production was done really well. The story being told is to the point and, from the heart. Some pretty cool music too. Thank you to the Author of this video and, for your service.

Though I wasn't there, I am an "Era" vet. This video gave me a glimpse of what it was like.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
That was awesome. Well put together story. I really enjoyed watching that!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I was a motor sgt./wrecker driver 1969-1971. Those that flew were a special breed. God bless them, for they literally lived through hell.

The video was truthful. I helped haul some of the downed 'copters out.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I have a friend that was a gunner. I don't know if he would want to walk down the memory isle ...but it did give me some insight on what he probably went through.
I was in between wars ...Never even thought about joining ....wish I would have now ...
Thank you to all that served ...

I was thinking of sending this to my friend, but decided not to. He was a tunnel rat in the Marines. He does not talk too much about it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting. It was a very eye opening video.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post