SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help finding a transit crate. Search function no good
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help finding a transit crate. Search function no good Login/Join 
posted
I tried searching but couldn’t find the thread.
Within last few months somebody had a link to a crate that a bunch of rifles could be placed in.
I am moving across country and I’m not keen to put my guns in the shipping container. I’d like to stick them in the cargo trailer we will pull on the drive and I will take them into the hotel each night. I’m talking a solid 40+ long guns. Handguns all have rugs and will fit in a lockable tub. Longest rifles and shotguns are several 30 inch shotguns and 26 inch bolt guns. Would prefer not to take guns apart from their stocks. Biggest I could find locally is a big tub at lowes that will hold most of my ARs and lever gun carbines and even an M1A scout.
Much Thanks in advance

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Something like a JoBox?

Are you planning on putting all 40 in one container?

If it were me, I'd probably use a couple (or few in your case) music gig bags with the rifles in gun socks. They are basically really large duffel bags.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Something like a JoBox?

Are you planning on putting all 40 in one container?

If it were me, I'd probably use a couple (or few in your case) music gig bags with the rifles in gun socks. They are basically really large duffel bags.

Jobox way too big and heavy. Looking for plastic and can be wheeled and locked is preferable. I’ll buy several if I need to. Need to stick in a Uhaul trailer and take out at night. Not comfortable leaving in trailer overnight in hotel parking lot. Rifles will all be in silicon gun socks to minimize bulkyness. Will look into music big bags

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Would this be the thread you were looking for?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3720012174/p/1

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Would this be the thread you were looking for?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3720012174/p/1

Yes but i thought somebody had suggested a bigger, longer box. I have that lowes crate and inside length is a few inches too short for the longest rifles. The clear tub could work. Just need something that is ~48-50 inches inside

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ElToro,

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of duffel bags more than boxes actually. Not as protective, but might be easier to handle going in and out of hotel rooms....and less conspicuous. I'll be making a move too in the future and although my long gun collection is far less than yours, I'll probably do this. Now my pistol collection is pretty sizable and if I keep all the cases, that adds a lot more space.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
This one measures 18"W x 18"H x 50"D.

https://www.musiciansfriend.co...-bag/437009000930000

It is $159, but there are probably some others at different price points.

posted Hide Post
Last move, we used a Yakima roof rack for 20 long guns. At night we'd get a first floor room, back up to the window, and shove 'er thru. It was lockable, and had locks securing it to the roof. Only problem was smacking my head on the support bar.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When we moved to TX, I put all the long guns in socks and laid them at the bottom of Mrs. Mikes cars trunk, then piled other stuff on top of it all. I carried all the ammo in ammo cans in the bed of my truck and piled other stuff on top, each night I would park right in front of the hotel where the truck could be seen from the front desk.

Something like a jo-box would have been perfect, ammo at the bottom, guns on top.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
A golf bag like Rodney's in CaddyShack? Pref. with a 5HP engine. Or, get PHPaul to build you one with a 20HP diesel and tracks off an old skid steer loader.

Posts: 6489 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
They are not part of the normal consumer line, but Pelican makes some GIGANTIC plastic cargo boxes, for example:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/...master/472-463l-mm24

Interior dimensions about 20x24x48.

The huge ones are all made for industrial or military customers, so they are super heavy duty and correspondingly heavy and expensive and harder to find a place to order one of.

I think this one is the biggest at 35x36x48:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/...master/472-463l-mm08

They even have some configured with rifle racks inside, although they won't hold as many as you want and are probably a little shorter than you'd want:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/...armory/472-m4-m16-12

They're probably all more than you'd want to pay for one-time use during a move.

You could probably get someone local to build you a big plywood and 1x4 or 2x4 crate for much less, even with the current jump in lumber prices.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You might consider a 2-wheeled hand cart to move the containers in and out of the motel room. That would be a lot easier for you and easier on your body.

You can rent one from U-Haul or just go buy one.

My Sister has several giant golf bags that she uses to ship her clubs by UPS twice a year, to and from her winter home. The regular golf bag with her clubs in it slips into these bigger golf bags, they're designed to protect the ones inside.

Do an internet search for "golf club shipping bags" and look for the ones with good padding. You can resell these after you get to your new home.

A few years ago I had to ship some things across the country. I had a local office of a moving/shipping company come to my house where the guy made me a wood shipping crate. In his van he kept sticks of lumber and plywood. It only took him a few minutes to make me the custom wood crate. Price was quite reasonable.

It seemed very sturdy to me and my shipment arrived without any damage. Actually you probably could make your own wood shipping crates out of 2x2 lumber and plywood. Use my above mentioned 2 wheel hand cart to move from the truck to motel room. If you wanted to you could add caster wheels to each crate and roll it in and out.

For handguns and guns that easily break down I think I'd just get some extra suitcases.

Best wishes to you on your move and congratulations.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we moved from San Antonio to Georgia a few years ago, all my long guns were placed in soft-side cases and thin inside two large body bags and carried in the backseat of my truck.

We spent two nights in hotels in transit and carried all forearms in at night.

Got some strange looks when carrying the body bags in.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I put mine in my golf travel bags and put them in the POD for shipping; hidden behind the furniture and boxes. A few golf tour-size travel cases would be a good choice: They are not expensive.

Dragging big duffel bags full of rifles into a hotel in Vegas: What could go wrong here? SWAT blowing your door open?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U-haul also makes a golf club sized box that would hold most of long guns. You could cart them in on the hotel luggage rack. Last move I did was mostly pistols so a few duffle bags (gym type) didn't look that out of place when I carried them in on the luggage cart with a cooler. I realize the cardboard box isn't lockable but if you grab dinner and take it back to the room it may not matter. Things to consider, what looks normal vs abnormal. A big container with locks everywhere may attract more attention then you want

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.grainger.com/categ...containers#WP7374791

48” long works for most rifles, 7 inch height for sporting rifles/shotguns, 10 inch for taller assault/battle rifles. Availability is currently spotty.

Posts: 9974 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post