SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Goose Mystery Solved
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goose Mystery Solved Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
A while back, I posted a question about some odd Canada Goose behavior. Had what appeared to be an adult bachelor male hanging out in my field. I've had a pair (I suspect the same ones) for several years now, but not a single.

Turns out, Mama was on the nest in a wet corner of the field and I just never saw her in the tall grass.

They're out now parading around, Mom, Dad and four goslings. Also never seen Canada goslings so close to human activity. They do head for the water pretty quickly now, where Dad used to just watch me walk by as close as 10 feet.

Hoping to get a closer picture soon. That was at max zoom and they were 25 or 30 yards away, started heading for the water as soon as I came into view. Not in a rush, but walking with a purpose.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Also never seen Canada goslings so close to human activity.

Clearly you haven't been to a park in the Pacific Northwest in the last 10 years. Only things thicker than the Canada geese and their babies are their crap. And maybe seagulls. And they are BRAZEN!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Need to remove the limit on those rotten things. Way over populated. Nothing but crap machines.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Kill them now. All of them. You’ll only have problems later.

Yes, I know they’re protected, don’t kill them; but we need to have open season on these flying poop machines.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
When they charge you, has anyone tried a cane, sword, or machete? Those fool things lead with their skinny necks exposed. Looks like a good sharp tool would separate the head from the body.

I know, they're migratory birds and you can't harm them. Well, except in self defense, maybe. Or if you're not caught. And back when they were rare, to think I used to feed them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
It's not rare to see them here in my part of Louisiana now year round.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
When they charge you, has anyone tried a cane, sword, or machete? Those fool things lead with their skinny necks exposed. Looks like a good sharp tool would separate the head from the body.

I know, they're migratory birds and you can't harm them. Well, except in self defense, maybe. Or if you're not caught. And back when they were rare, to think I used to feed them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post