SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    fishing lures 30 years later ( sigh)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fishing lures 30 years later ( sigh) Login/Join 
posted
thought I would get me a pole and some lures for some bank fishing this summer.

got some sticker shock on the rods and reels , not bad but twice the price of 30 years ago.

not a big deal

then I sought out some lures
Eek Eek Eek

what the flying hell ?

how did plastic and paint quadruple in price?

maybe just buy the rod this year , the reel next year and the lures in year 3 !

I sold 180 lures ,long ago.
who knew plastic with hooks would appreciate 400 % ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54667 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
The new lures have those special hooks that attract logs and weeds too Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's that, and the fact that there's now 4 million DIFFERENT lures and they're all expensive......and about 3.9 million of those lures don't work worth a crap!!!!! Honestly a dozen of the right ones for freshwater fishing is all you need. My number 1 go to are the fake frogs that swim on top of the water.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
No kidding, go price some decent snap swivels.

Posts: 9975 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah I was going to stick with top water's initially .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54667 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
how did plastic and paint quadruple in price?
and they were probably made in America 30 years ago, but they've still managed to quadruple even though current Chinese labor price is lower than US labor price 30 years ago.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23295 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some fishermen's tackle expenditures would make our gun/ammo budgets seem frugal.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've caught more fish of various species with Rapala minnow lures than anything else. Get a few of those to start out. Yeah, lures have become expensive, so you need to stick with proven brands.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
My two favorites back in the sixties were the H&H spinner bait for $0.19 each - now $2.19 and a Tiny Torpedo for $.89 each - now $5.25.
I reckon the price of dynamite has also gone sky high. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

No need to spend a ton of money.

A stick, some twine, a bent safety pin, and a worm still catch fish.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've caught more fish of various species with Rapala minnow lures than anything else. Get a few of those to start out. Yeah, lures have become expensive, so you need to stick with proven brands.

Jim

The jointed, black and silver, floating, shallow diving Rapala Minnow is one of my top 5 go to lures.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Worms still work rather well too

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Worms still work rather well too

So does cured Steelhead and Salmon eggs. Power bait as well. I wouldn't call those lures in the context that the thread is about however. Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Over the past 55+ years of using lures...the five best lures I have used with the best results are as follows (in no particular order)...

Rooster Tail spinner.

Regular Rapala (in a tie with the old Thin Fin in silver).

Rattle Trap (Heddon Sonic)

Jitter Bug (with a Heddon Dying Flutter tied for top water lures).

The ubigious 8" plastic worm (I'm partial to the plain old Purple or black "Flip Tail" (forget "flavored" or "designer colors")...it just needs to be soft and flexible.

However my late wife (the fishing Queen) always said that she could pretty much catch anything that swims (here in the South) with a Rooster Tail or Flip Tail Smile

And I agree...the price of fishing stuff (imported from China) has gotten stupid Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Over the past 55+ years of using lures...the five best lures I have used with the best results are as follows (in no particular order)...

Rooster Tail spinner.

Regular Rapala (in a tie with the old Thin Fin in silver).

Rattle Trap (Heddon Sonic)

Jitter Bug (with a Heddon Dying Flutter tied for top water lures).

The ubigious 8" plastic worm (I'm partial to the plain old Purple or black "Flip Tail" (forget "flavored" or "designer colors")...it just needs to be soft and flexible.

Frown

I totally agree with your top pick. Would add only one. I forgot what it was called but it was a small curved chrome spoon with a florescent red strip down one side. Maybe Hot-Shot??

I found it

https://binged.it/2HaD8Lx

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Remember:

It’s easier to fool a fisherman than it is a fish.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Yard sales, estate sales, and Craigslist are great places to get just about all the tackle you'll need at good prices. Lots of people just want to get rid of granddad's old fishing stuff.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Yard sales, estate sales, and Craigslist are great places to get just about all the tackle you'll need at good prices. Lots of people just want to get rid of granddad's old fishing stuff.

This is a good idea. I've caught a lot of fish on decades old lures. A 30 year old spinner bait is just as effective as an expensive newer one. As has already been said, the newer latest, greatest lures are designed to catch fishermen as much as fish. The same can be said for hunting gear as well in my opinion.

Jim

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37986 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you can't catch a fish on a black-and-yellow Panther Martin and a worm, there's somethin' wrong witcha.

I keep a couple in the get home bag for that reason. You just never know.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post