SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beware the liquid calorie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beware the liquid calorie Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Fascinating to me how easily liquid-calories sneak up on you. Over the past two year I have put on a shocking amount of weight. My diet has not really changed and I still work out on a semi-regular basis.

Took a hard look at myself and realized that the only significant change I can point to is that I have moved up from Miller Lite to IPA's. Because they taste so good, I find that I am also drinking more of them. Doing the math it does not take very long to add thousands, yes thousands of additional calories per week, just in beer!

Thought I would share this article I just read...

Stealth Assault on Health: Beverages Pack Calorie Punch

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Good article. I usually hit myself with the double whammy. After about 5 or 6 six IPAs on the couch, I'm foraging in the pantry for snacks like a bear waking up from hibernation.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
Good article. I usually hit myself with the double whammy. After about 5 or 6 six IPAs on the couch, I'm foraging in the pantry for snacks like a bear waking up from hibernation.

Okay that is a really good point too! I rarely snack at night, but after a few beers....look the F out. I've heated up shit in the fridge as post-beer snack that I never would have considered otherwise.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
That will do it. Sodas with all of their sugar, too. I quit drinking all soda, with sugar or artificial sweetener. Occasional beer, wine or bourbon. For whatever reason, all IPA tastes like grapefruit juice to me.

Posts: 9253 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
"Stealth Calories" through cleanses are just another commie conspiracy designed to introduce foreign substances into your precious bodily fluid and sap your essence.

It is why I only drink distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Had my very first ever Starbucks Frappachino just last week. 500 calories! I know folks who drink them all the time, not thin folks of course:-)

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

It is why I only drink distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol.

I never drink distilled water. Don't trust it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The theory of simple sugars break down fat doesn't apply here?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38203 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They had to do a study to tell people that beer, soda and juice all have large amounts of calories?

I've known that for just about all my life?

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Remember, beer is basically liquid bread.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Craft IPAs can easily contain 250 Calories or more.

Used to be I'd have a craft IPA with dinner, what my wife and I call "candy coffee" (heavily creamed and sugared coffee) after dinner, and some chocolate to go with the coffee. One day I added it up:

IPA: 200 Calories (average of the variety I drink)
Coffee: 100 Calories (estimated)
Chocolate: 195 Calories (3 pieces X 65 Cal. ea.)

That's 500 Calories, right there. Times 7 days a week = 3500 Calories (I'm rounding up)

Well, it turns out that, all other things being equal, dropping 3500 Calories/week from your diet means dropping a pound of fat per week.

But, then it turned out the beer was good for my.... uh... "digestion," let us say (and leave it at that). Turns out some brews have a lot of fiber content. This I found out the hard way--not to put too fine a point on it.

So I'm back to having a beer with dinner, but I cut it back to a good session IPA that has only 140 Calories per serving.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
This is why I switched from 4-7 crappy beers per session, to 1 delicious beer. I know we're talking IPAs but I'm on a brown ale kick.

Currently enjoying: https://foundersbrewing.com/ou...atra-mountain-brown/

(If you get a chance, please try the Pilgrim's Dole from New Holland. Yes, I get it, I'm in Beer City USA, but I've seen Bell's Oberon way way south, so who knows....)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
This is why I switched from 4-7 crappy beers per session, to 1 delicious beer. I know we're talking IPAs but I'm on a brown ale kick.

Currently enjoying: https://foundersbrewing.com/ou...atra-mountain-brown/

(If you get a chance, please try the Pilgrim's Dole from New Holland. Yes, I get it, I'm in Beer City USA, but I've seen Bell's Oberon way way south, so who knows....)

Give Ellies Brown Ale a try, by Avery.

Yes, I have mostly stopped drinking otherwise my weight stagnates. I keep it to about every other week and just drink a fine dram of whiskey or tequila.

interesting perspective, if you exceed your daily caloric intake by 10 calories a day for a year you will have added 1lb of weight. 1 potato chip is about 10 calories. Times 10 = 10 lbs etc etc... math sux

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, it has been long known to clinical nutritionists that one has to treat a single beer, cocktail, hefty glass of wine, etc. as a can of soda pop.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, that stuff is like water - no calories whatsoever - it's magic that it tastes sooo good yet has zero calories.

Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Oh yeah, it has been long known to clinical nutritionists that one has to treat a single beer, cocktail, hefty glass of wine, etc. as a can of soda pop.
Me. I go a month or more without a beer, then I might have one. Rarely, I'll have two. A year might go by before I have more than two beers at one session.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've almost entirely cut beer out of my usual routine (used to have about one per day), cut out soda almost entirely and stopped putting half-n-half in my coffee and that alone has cut a lot of calories and an inch or two.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drink an IPA about every night with dinner and I'm not sure I'm willing to give that up. I'm almost 39 and I'm a pretty skinny guy, so I guess I'm OK for now. Probably doesn't hurt that I do PT every morning.

You can enjoy calorie splurged, just in moderation and in conjunction with real exercise. Unfortunately most people are willing to put in the work and live with discipline.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I drink an IPA about every night with dinner and I'm not sure I'm willing to give that up. I'm almost 39 and I'm a pretty skinny guy, so I guess I'm OK for now. Probably doesn't hurt that I do PT every morning.

You can enjoy calorie splurged, just in moderation and in conjunction with real exercise. Unfortunately most people are willing to put in the work and live with discipline.

I'm also in my late 30s. PT stopped being PT years ago, and became what I now refer to as "Beer Credits"

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Don't forget condiments. Ketchup is high in carbs.

Substitute Pickles or olives for salty snacks.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post