SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A breathtaking view and a heartbreaking memory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A breathtaking view and a heartbreaking memory Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Some forty plus years ago i had the opportunity to tour India on my parents dime.

On a cold and clear night with a full moon i got through a door and saw the Taj Mahal under a full moon’s surreal lighting. It was too beautiful to grasp and describe with words.
Have tried to find a similar picture on the internet over the years without coming even close. The image is stuck in my head as one of the most amazing sights in my life.

The following day, under a bright sun, i was able to tour properly the mausoleum and the magic was gone. The place is beautiful but nowhere near the view of the previous night.
I looked down at the Yamuna river and saw the current carry the body of a naked small child. It was a curious and unexpected sight for my then young mind and it saddened the rest of my trip.

Both images still haunt me after a lifetime. They have been haunting me lately. Wonder why.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
For me it was a morning On the Bodensee (Lake Constance) there was a fog like mist laying on the water and the sun lit it up like you would imagine heaven to look like. That and the Austrian and Swiss alps in the background, it sticks with me to this day.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Viewing the Northern Lights in Iceland a few years back with my wife is my happy place. It was 9* out and I loved every second of it. I looked over at my wife who was crying, when I asked why, she responded she was so happy for me as it was always a bucket list item for me. I’ve seen some beautiful places in this world, both above and below the water, that sight was the best so far in my 58 years. I realize I’m a very lucky man.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Mine was watching sunrise from the top of Haleakala on Maui. Seeing the sun appear from beneath the clouds was just amazing.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Breathtaking view:

The young lass that was undressing before me as I prepared to have my first sexual encounter...

Heartbreaking memory:

the Divorce Judge sticking it to me...

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both images still haunt me after a lifetime. They have been haunting me lately. Wonder why.

^^^^^^^^^^
It had great meaning for you. The beauty of life and the tragedy of life as well.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
As a young lad in Africa, one Friday my father sent me off with a local friend who took me to see Sharia justice in action. It was but a single burglar, but watching his hand get removed via machete certainly stuck with me.

It is why I will not travel to any Islamic theocracy.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Dickens wrote "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
“On a cold and clear night with a full moon i got through a door and saw the Taj Mahal under a full moon’s surreal lighting. It was too beautiful to grasp and describe with words.”
- - -
That must have been AWESOME! I’m jealous.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post