SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone here know why there is a nationwide shortage of pediatric epipens?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here know why there is a nationwide shortage of pediatric epipens? Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
I went to renew a prescription, and no one has them. Not Walgreens, CVS, my local hospital pharmacy, etc. My local Costco said they haven't seen any in two months.

This goes for EpiPen Jr, the generic version, and AviQ.

I have two autoinjectors which expire next month. They have been stored properly, and I assume they will be good for a while beyond expiration. It's a liquid, so I have no idea how long.

Fortunately we've never had to use it.

There has been a nationwide shortage of allergy serum components for more than a year, too.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Basically what it boils down to is a pharmaceutical company playing Fuck Fuck with the citizens. Pretty shitty seeing how it's an immediate life saving medication.

I can't recall all the particulars and could be off but as I recall there was a certain politicians daughter that was the CEO I think of one of the Major Epi pen manufacturing that was charging an arm and a leg for this medication. I believe there where law suites/fines and stuff and in turn caused the supply of Epi pens to be low. Like I said I could be off a bit but thats what I kind of remember. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1143 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Here is some info:

https://www.epipen.com/about-e...c/supply-information

I read a short time ago that expiration dates were extended on certain lots. There is info in the link I provided.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
So you are saying we should eBay our spares?!

Posts: 1354 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy has a need to keep them on hand in car and home. He recently mentioned he buys them from a Canadian online pharmacy. He has a Rx so it’s kosher.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:
.........I can't recall all the particulars and could be off but as I recall there was a certain politicians daughter that was the CEO I think of one of the Major Epi pen manufacturing that was charging an arm and a leg for this medication........... Hray

Good ol' Joe Manchin & family:

https://www.washingtonexaminer...-with-epipen-scandal

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BGULL,

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Here is some info:

I read a short time ago that expiration dates were extended on certain lots. There is info in the link I provided.

Thank you for this information. The extended expiration dates do not apply to the EpiPen Jr, but it still makes me think I will be OK for a little while.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Here is some info:

Thank you for this information. The extended expiration dates do not apply to the EpiPen Jr, but it still makes me think I will be OK for a little while.

Keep an eye on the little window on the face of the epi-pen and just make sure they fluid doesn't get cloudy or discolored.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with your doctor. A syringe and a vial of the medication can be had for less than ten bucks. It can easily be carried in something like a travel toothbrush case.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Check with your doctor. A syringe and a vial of the medication can be had for less than ten bucks. It can easily be carried in something like a travel toothbrush case.

+1

This is what everyone who needed epinephrine before the auto-injectors were available used.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:

+1

This is what everyone who needed epinephrine before the auto-injectors were available used.

This was suggested today by a hospital pharmacist. He warned me "even clinicians can have issues getting the dose right because of stress if their kids need the epinephrine." I think that was a bit dramatic, but in reality I am not sure the doc would give me a script for that.

I think it will be ok. We are first on a waitlist through a major local pharmacy.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
quote:

+1

This was suggested today by a hospital pharmacist. He warned me "even clinicians can have issues getting the dose right because of stress if their kids need the epinephrine." I think that was a bit dramatic, but in reality I am not sure the doc would give me a script for that.

I think it will be ok. We are first on a waitlist through a major local pharmacy.

Dramatic, yes. Pediatric dose of the Epi factory-mixed for such pediatric injections (1:1,000 ratio) is 0.01 mg/kg. Clinically, there’s room for fudge (pediatric auto injectors have slight adjustments to vary doses I believe, but none of them are exactly weight-based). It’d be easy to do the math 2x a year to keep up with growth and put a piece of tape on the syringe at the appropriate dose mark.

Once they are over 30kg, or 66 pounds, they can use the standard 0.3-0.5 mg dose. Again, the tape trick would work.

Obviously follow the Drs advice, and all that jazz.

Just an idea if you run out of options before you get the new ones.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dramatic, yes. Pediatric dose of the Epi factory-mixed for such pediatric injections (1:1,000 ratio) is 0.01 mg/kg. Clinically, there’s room for fudge (pediatric auto injectors have slight adjustments to vary doses I believe, but none of them are exactly weight-based). It’d be easy to do the math 2x a year to keep up with growth and put a piece of tape on the syringe at the appropriate dose mark.

Once they are over 30kg, or 66 pounds, they can use the standard 0.3-0.5 mg dose. Again, the tape trick would work.

Obviously follow the Drs advice, and all that jazz.

Just an idea if you run out of options before you get the new ones.

Thank you for this information. We are fortunate in that we carry the epipen but have not needed it. We take it seriously in any case. Today we have to be careful about peanut exposure.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
This is a site that deals with things in out of the way places.
This particular article shows how to dismantle an epipen to get at the residual left after the pens use, (which you might need in BFE) but also has some info on expired devices:

Manufacturers recommend against use of epinephrine that is cloudy in density or contains particulate solution. Epinephrine fluid naturally changes color over time from clear to yellow to brown with no known change in efficacy or safety.
However, no evidence, including a study on expired EpiPens, demonstrates that discrimination based on fluid color is clinically significant.

Linkage with pics

Cloudy bad - discolored ok.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I found one in stock at Sam's Club, transferred the prescription, and walked out with it. Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions to my questions.