SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Do People Make Their BBQ Ribs SO SWEET?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Do People Make Their BBQ Ribs SO SWEET? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Syrup belongs on pancakes. And very little of it for them.

Posts: 26921 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it’s as simple as most store bought sauce is thick and sweet, it’s just what the average person is used to and expects.

I like to balance mine with vinegar, mustard, heat and often something else sour like OJ.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably need to specify the regional style.

To not get sugary ribs. Memphis style comes to mind only dry rubbed and not overly sweet

sounds like a fun event to be a part of

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Vinegar should be a flavor enhancer, not the main flavor you taste.

Sweet, spicy, and tangy for me.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
We usually buy our ribs at Costco. They come with 3 racks. We start off with a homemade rub, Then after they get taken out of the paper wrap after 3 hours, two racks get bbq sauce, and the one I eat doesn't get any sauce. I like them with just a rub.

Does your Costco have St. Louis cut spares already dry rubbed ? If they do you should try them sometime, it's actually a pretty tasty rub and not sweet at all.

Yes they do. I tend not to buy them as a lot of times when food is close to expire I see some places take them out of the original packaging, put spice on them and sell at a discount price. Probably not Costco, but my son makes a big container of rub that last a while.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
They try to figure out what the judges from that area want. Florida they want sweet sweet sweet, go to Georgia and they want sweet with some heat at the end. Go to the Carolinas and it’s vinegar and Alabama likes white sauce on chicken.

It’s strange watching them at a competition use all the mustard and two or three different rubs then when wrapping it’s blue parkay imitation butter with honey and brown sugar. Then sauce and some finishing powder before turn in.

I use a good rub and spritz if needed with coke/apple juice during the cook and that’s it for me but if others are over will mop with a thinned out sauce. I want to taste the meat not everything in the kitchen poured on it

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mine are dry rub and served that way.

Sauce is to be on the side and applied to taste and I several with my ribs.

I can sit and eat a whole rack just dry. The juice alone within the meat should be enough moisture.

Tabs likes Carolina style sweet sauce and I like tangy. I make both.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use just a dry rub while smoking my ribs. I have 2-3 different b-b-Q sauces one can put on afterward if desired.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I love a thick sweet molasses BBQ sauce.

Yes please! My favorite ribs are the KC style ribs from a local place that has a delicious molasses based sauce, but they do also spritz with some apple cider vinegar while smoking as well. I think they’re delicious.

I'm in this camp. ^^

I also like them any way they are prepared as long as they are tender and juicy without falling off the bone. Dry, Carolina, Memphis, KC, Texas, or any other varsity I'm forgetting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.[/QUOTE]
Does your Costco have St. Louis cut spares already dry rubbed ? If they do you should try them sometime, it's actually a pretty tasty rub and not sweet at all.[/QUOTE]

I also really like Costco dry rubbed ribs. I still add more dry rub right before I smoke. I wonder if the Costco ribs hanging out pre rubbed for a couple of days enhances the flavor?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I agree that BBQ should not be so sweet. It needs to be Oooo-Mommy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regional differences and Personal preference.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:

Does your Costco have St. Louis cut spares already dry rubbed ? If they do you should try them sometime, it's actually a pretty tasty rub and not sweet at all.[/QUOTE]

I also really like Costco dry rubbed ribs. I still add more dry rub right before I smoke. I wonder if the Costco ribs hanging out pre rubbed for a couple of days enhances the flavor?[/QUOTE]

I add a little more dry rub to the Costco ribs too but you make a good observation that the pre-rubbed ribs have a chance to enhance the ingredients in the rub for several hours or more before they go on the smoker. Good point.

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I don't discriminate. I'll take them every which way I can.
At home, on top of the dry rub, I do apple cider vinegar and apple juice mixed w/ a little sweet sauce coating in the last 30 min. of the cook.
Anything else is served on the side.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've learned to enjoy diabetic style cookery.

Sweet anything is not good for me.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm in the camp that only use a dry rub for cooking and the sauce is on the side at the table. The wife is from Kansas City so she prefers a sweeter sauce so I blend in a sweet sauce with another Texas style hotter sauce and we are both happy.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5045 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I quit using store bought rubs too much sugar. I make my own rubs now, Asian and Amish markets are great places for bulk spices. Currently working on growing all my own ingredients for the rubs. I have found i like to add rosemary and tyme to the rub adds a nice dynamic. I'll make a qt at a time and use a tablespoon of Dark brown sugar to the whole mix. The family will sometimes dip into Sweet Baby Ray's for that "sweet" flavor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2181 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Competition BBQ is a whole other world. People overexaggerate flavors to try and stand out. I competed with a buddy for a year, he loved the challenge of cooking to a flavor profile to win a competition. I couldn't stand cooking bbq I wouldn't want to eat myself. I've had brisket that won competitions in Texas that was so salty I spit it out.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
I just marinate mine in Dale's, then slow cook
I like the saltiness

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2013 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Well…just for the record, I blame SWEET BABY RAY’s.

Regional differences aside, I do think it’s more of an average American consumer palette that they are driving to emulate but once one eat enough barbecue in one’s life you got to move towards the nuances of balance with vinegars etc.

Dry rub for me with vinegar and mustard bases on the side.

0:01

Posts: 4212 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post