SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had $20,000 to $25,000 to invest to start a business what would it be
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had $20,000 to $25,000 to invest to start a business what would it be Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Record AudioBooks for Audible.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Why not just start investing the money? You could probably easily spend 1-4 hrs/day researching opportunities on where to invest and then invest.

Then watch the money flow in...then wash...rinse...repeat.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'd love to have a food truck as a hobby job.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/9YJz7BDgJEk

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
If I was physically able (and I currently am), I'd start a lawn care business. Not out of any expectation to make a bunch of money, but to give myself something to do I enjoy, that would get me outside, and be physically demanding.
As someone that does that, you're nuts! Big Grin

Regardless, $25000 really isn't enough. A mower alone is going to run you $11000.

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Do the Uber or Lyft thing?

Drive cars (as in move them from point A to point B or pickup dealer trades) for large auto dealerships? I have a retired friend that does this. Take's him all over and they look for older, responsible people.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4525 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
BLS/ACLS instructor. Minimal investment. Something you already have exposure too. Not a big money maker but connected to the right facility you will get lots of chance to instruct.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the carpet cleaning equipment business on here in central Florida already sell? Seemed like it was a "ready to go" money maker out of the box.

Posts: 852 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Take the $25K, buy a used Kia Soul, or Honda Element (rubber floors for easy puke cleaning) join lyft/oober and drive people around your town.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
Did the carpet cleaning equipment business on here in central Florida already sell? Seemed like it was a "ready to go" money maker out of the box.

I’m quite sure this isn’t a winner. I have a guy do my carpets from time to time. He pulls up in an old minivan, drags a bunch of hose into the house and does the hot water extraction cleaning. Takes about an hour and he packs it up and leaves with a hundred bucks of mine.

He’s booked out for weeks and can easily knock down $400 to $500 a day. Work that out annually.

Little overhead and no employees. Lots of Ben Franklins.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
A Boat/RV/4-wheeler self-operated "car wash"... with a location that would be frequented by outdoorsmen.

Or this....

quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Spend $25K at a tech school and learn a trade. Welder. IT. Plumber/HVAC. Blacksmith.

Only save some of the money to start out with on your own once you're done! Mike Rowe would be proud and you would be busy for life.....

I'll toss in another vote for the self operated Spray-n-Wash type car wash.
Do your homework on location and taxes.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
If I was physically able (and I currently am), I'd start a lawn care business. Not out of any expectation to make a bunch of money, but to give myself something to do I enjoy, that would get me outside, and be physically demanding.

I figured I'd hear from you on that score Smile

quote:
Regardless, $25000 really isn't enough. A mower alone is going to run you $11000.

I'm talkin' a small, one-man operation. The guy that used to do ours started out with nothing more than a homeowner-grade ZTR mower, string trimmer, leaf blower and a trailer. by the last season he did our lawn he'd upgraded everything to commercial grade from the meagre profits. Then he had to have surgery for an injury (not related) and dropped the business.

He did it for the same reason as the OP: He was retired and it gave him something to do that amused him. I know he wasn't in it for the money. He charged us a mere $25/mowing. We have 20 to 25k sqft of lawn with all kinds of interruptions and curvy borders. It takes me 45 minutes to do it, leaving the clippings, with our Walker with a 4' deck. That's with no string trimming or trim mowing.

Heck, with the gear I have, all commercial, I could do it, if I wanted to. But I ain't bored... yet? Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

...My background revolved around the fire protection industry years ago. I was a service manager for a fire protection company, A part time paid instructor for the county fire academy in the county I live in in New Jersey and a volunteer firefighter...

I don't know what certifications, if any, are needed, but there are a couple of companies locally that seem to do well doing fire extinguisher inspection/certification. The fire department inspects retailers to make sure their fire extinguishers are up to date. Here that means that a private company has stopped by and inspected/certified that my extinguishers are good. They can refill/replace if necessary, but mostly I pay them to put a current tag on my extinguishers. Seems like I pay $75-$100 or so for 20 minutes of their time. I have about 6 extinguishers.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Three words:

Ice Cream Truck

Good grief. Listen to "its a small world" chimes for 8 straight hours is enough to send the strongest man to the therapist's couch.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'd drive the Mammo-van. "Step right up, ladies." Big Grin

Posts: 45394 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you ever been to Walmart? Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I figured I'd hear from you on that score Smile

quote:

I'm talkin' a small, one-man operation. The guy that used to do ours started out with nothing more than a homeowner-grade ZTR mower, string trimmer, leaf blower and a trailer. by the last season he did our lawn he'd upgraded everything to commercial grade from the meagre profits. Then he had to have surgery for an injury (not related) and dropped the business.

He did it for the same reason as the OP: He was retired and it gave him something to do that amused him. I know he wasn't in it for the money. He charged us a mere $25/mowing. We have 20 to 25k sqft of lawn with all kinds of interruptions and curvy borders. It takes me 45 minutes to do it, leaving the clippings, with our Walker with a 4' deck. That's with no string trimming or trim mowing.

Heck, with the gear I have, all commercial, I could do it, if I wanted to. But I ain't bored... yet? Smile
Try your best to never get that bored.

I actually am a one-man operation. Smile I really wish that I'd have got into something else. I honestly don't want to be doing it at retirement time.

All the uninsured guys with homeowner grade mowers have the same story that your guy had.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Have you ever been to Walmart? Big Grin
Oh, no. I'm cruising the gates communities.

If I really have $25000 I'd probably get a nice lathe, a mill a cnc controlled router and open up a maker shop.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Take the $25K, buy a used Kia Soul, or Honda Element (rubber floors for easy puke cleaning) join lyft/oober and drive people around your town.

I'd recommend Uber or Lyft- but you want a minivan to make it work, Especially around Orlando. The minivan allows you to take XL rides and they pay double the normal Uber X rides (can still do X if XL rides are slow). You can work your own hours and in a place like Orlando, easily pocket over $100 a day after maintenance money and gas in a 8 hour day. No real risk, if you don't like it, keep or sell the minivan.

Otherwise, you've got to do a mobile business (these make good money usually in FL). Carpet Cleaning, mobile car wash, lawn business (I sure as hell wouldn't be doing this in central florida when it's over 80F and closer to 95F 8 months out of the year), dog wash, food truck, I've even seen a dog crap picker up service that goes house to house.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Thanks everyone you have come up with some great ideas.

My background revolved around the fire protection industry years ago. I was a service manager for a fire protection company, A part time paid instructor for the county fire academy in the county I live in in New Jersey and a volunteer firefighter.

When I moved to Florida I worked for that big entertainment company in central Florida. I worked a front desk,advanced sales work and drove a van transporting guests.

I also worked in a shop with mechanics working on heavy equipment for a while then helped a friend at his gun shop/range.
From there I went into retirement.
I was thinking of some sort of home based business. I have also been looking at business for sale in my area but nothing so far.
I didn't see the part about home based business. Go buy storage units or from auctions and sell on Ebay. I know several people who do this and buy estates just to sell on Ebay. None of them work a real job and do quite well for profit. You stay at home all you like drinking coffee, eating cheese doodles, watching Cappin Kangaroo and when your computer dings a sale, you make money. You can get the Ebay boxes for free if you like and print all your own shipping labels.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well you could start a business where, let’s just put it this way, men go see the ladies for a short time. You know, like Robert Kraft in the news.

Be aware you’ll have to run it as a business, not a hobby.

However, don’t rent a 2 story building.

There’s just too much f***ing overhead!

(I apologize now).

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post