SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Massachusetts insanity never ceases the Commonwealth’s Seal needs to change it’s offensive, been the same since 1787, history is bad.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Massachusetts insanity never ceases the Commonwealth’s Seal needs to change it’s offensive, been the same since 1787, history is bad. Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
The Bithplace and Death Scene of Liberty, Maskachusetts. Sickening.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2.../18/bhr-l-seal-0519/

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article is behind a pay wall.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I am NOT a subscriber and it opens right up for me. I'm using FireFox ESR w/ AdGuard AdBlocker, and lots of filters enabled. Just checked and it opens right up on Brave as well... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8901 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't want to sign up, get my e-mailbox spammed and have to unsubscribe to read the article. I looked up the seal. Which part is offensive, the indigenous American Indian holding a bow in the center, or the arm holding a sword on top? Who's bothered by it?

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Massachusetts should change it to a dildo and sickle crossed with a rainbow background… sort similar to the Soviet Unions logo but more gay. That would represent that state fairly accurately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21110 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
By MATTHEW MEDSGER | mmedsger@bostonherald.com | Boston Herald
PUBLISHED: May 18, 2022 at 6:53 p.m. | UPDATED: May 19, 2022 at 9:19 a.m.
The seal and motto of Massachusetts should change, according to the commission responsible for making recommendations on the controversial image and phrase.

“It’s a reflection of centuries of intentional exclusion on the part of the commonwealth from the land, laws and historical records of indigenous residents,” committee co-chair Brian Boyles said when explaining where the seal came from.

On Tuesday, the members of the state’s Special Commission Relative to the Seal and Motto of the Commonwealth voted unanimously to recommend the seal and motto be changed.

The seal, originally adopted in 1898, features a Native American stylized character in a blue coat of arms and bearing a bow and arrow. Above the man’s head is a disembodied arm and sword, apparently representing the arm of Plymouth colony military adviser Myles Standish.

READ MORE
The sword appears to be threatening the man, a fact reinforced by the state’s official motto, which surrounds that Native figure on its flag, “ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.”

This translates from Latin to loosely mean, “by the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.”

This is especially troubling, according to commission member Brittney Walley, also a member of the Nipmuc Nation, who said that the colony Standish fought to protect would not have been able to flourish and become the state we know if not for the natives the flag shows him threatening.

“The lack of input from indigenous communities in the seal is very concerning,” she said. “Without indigenous communities, colonies such as Plymouth would not have survived and Massachusetts would not exist or be as it is today.”

The man pictured, Boyle told the commission, wasn’t even a native of the commonwealth, but his remains were kept at a museum here and his image selected at the turn of the century. No native communities were consulted during this selection, Boyle said.

Retired Brig. Gen. Leonid Kondratiuk voted in favor of the change, but also asked the committee to remember it was under that seal that thousands of veterans from the commonwealth have given their lives.

“Seventeen thousand Massachusetts soldiers died under that flag from 1787 to World War I,” he said. “That is on my mind as we approach memorial day.”

The decision on how to proceed was not subject to a Vote Tuesday, though commission members did seem to consider the idea of allowing public input into the selection of a new seal and motto.

Regardless of how the committee proceeds, the decision will ultimately be made by the legislature based on their recommendation.

“You have to find something that more or less represents the entirety of what we’re tasked with and not individual pieces,” Jim Wallace, a board member appointed by Gov. Charlie Baker said. “We have to do something that is all inclusive.”

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Would it not just be easier to get rid of the people that are arguing for the change.

Just think about all the letterhead and envelopes. The stamps and website graphics.

Surely that outweighs the benefits of keeping the troublemakers around.

Posts: 53190 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
They've been talking about this for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post