SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mixing regular old fossile fuel gas with the ethanol fuel in cars
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixing regular old fossile fuel gas with the ethanol fuel in cars Login/Join 
posted
When I fill up I always use the fossil fuel gas, Three times in three months , the neighbor wanted me to let her buy my gas for driving her on errands.

but she had to buy the cheap Costco ethanol stuff,
so all three times I put about a half a tank full in the car,

and all three times , within about 100 miles ( four or five days) I noticed either a slight rough idle at start up, or the check engine light would come on.

My mechanic said that using two gasses should not cause any problems.

unless it ( the ethanol ) had water in it

any thoughts on this ?

should I not be mixing the two types of gas?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be a problem. If you had a check engine light come on, you should have a code that your mechanic can read

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The ethanol gas isn't pure ethanol (alcohol), it's already a mix, typically 90% normal gas and 10% ethanol. Mixing it with ethanol-free gas would just dilute the ethanol further and shouldn't cause any problems the ethanol gas wouldn't cause in the first place.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm with the "no problems at all" crowd.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I am curious where do you find ethanol free gas?

all the branded filling stations around the greater Houston area sell ethanol blends as far as I have witnessed.

One exception being Buc-ees location on 290 it has an island that has signs up stating ethanol free. Unfortunately it is just too far to drive to.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
If by “cheap ethanol stuff” you mean E-85; no, you shouldn’t put this in your vehicle unless it is specifically designed to burn it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Costco doesn’t sell E85 AFAIK.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco's fuel is top tier. Maybe you are not used to getting the detergents in your gas

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I mix all the time. I have a 2016 Expedition with the Eco-Boost dual fuel engine. When I'm towing I fill with non ethanol which is what the manual suggests but I always have some ethanol in at the time. Now with the cheap gas prices I'm buying more non ethanol. All my small engine stuff gets non ethanol lawnmower, chain saw, pontoon and the side by side get nothing but non ethanol.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IL

quote:
All my small engine stuff gets non ethanol lawnmower, chain saw, pontoon and the side by side get nothing but non ethanol.

Same here. Small engines have small carburetors which easily get gummed up.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"04" Buick LeSabre

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

HK Ag
The Hy-Vee gas stations have it here in the quad cities.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Mixing those fuels is not causing your problem. Take the car to AutoZone or one of the other parts stores and have them read the codes. Those places aren't perfect, but it will at least point you in the direction of the actual problem.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

WaWa stations carry it here and wherever you can WaWa, along with good coffee, great apple fritters

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

WaWa stations carry it here and wherever you can WaWa, along with good coffee, great apple fritters

Race Tracs have it here, I believe they have red pump handles to indicate Ethanol free

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IL
Their app is even better since it's map based and not merely a list. For the iPhone it even lets me chose the map application (Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps) for navigation. For example, I knew about the website but it's a long list for Texas so I didn't realize there was an ethanol free station about a 1/2 block off one of my favorite country rides on my motorcycle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my mechanic reads the codes, nothing comes up. But then by then the even though the check engine light is still on, it is not still rough ideling . ( Ain't it always the way)

posted Hide Post
Check your gas cap, especially since this seems to happen after filling up. If it’s loose or worn and not sealing properly can cause the ck eng light to come on. Unless it’s brand new I’d just buy a new one and see what happens.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The check engine light can come on for a gas cap that wasn't tightened properly.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Does your car require an octane above 87? Costco is known to have quality gas, regardless of ethenal being present. Definitely doesn't cause an issue to mix the two otherwise.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post