SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 3 Bar Dr. Squatch Soap Review: It really SUCKS and it is really AWESOME!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 3 Bar Dr. Squatch Soap Review: It really SUCKS and it is really AWESOME! Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If the pine tar actually smells like pine, I was thinking it might be a good choice come hunting season. I can deal with $8 a bar if it's once a year. Big Grin

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I'm a Kirk's Cold water Castile fan and have been for decades. Big Grin

This

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Irish Spring body wash and deodorant too. If you time it right, Walgreens will have a BOGO deal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
$8 for a bar of soap? Homey don't pay that.

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you like natural soaps, give Dr. Bronner's a try. I've been using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile liquid soap for 20+ years. Very gentle on the skin and a very effecting cleaner.

A 20% soap to water mix lets it work perfectly in a repurposed foaming hand soap bottle. A gallon ($35 or so) will last for a couple of years and using foam does all the work of creating lather. Really cuts down of shower time.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use dr bronner liquid soaps found at target...it doesn’t make my patch of excema itch like other “soaps”.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've used Dr. Bronners as my coming/backpacking soap for many years. Costco sells it now too, but hadn't considered using it at home.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can appreciate bar soap and prefer peppermint soap for that. I have spent around $6.00 a bar and thought that was a little steep for as long as it lasted. I have been using Kirk's liquid soap and it is not a strong scent but it is not bad.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
$8/bar is pretty steep.

I use peppermint Defense Soap shower gel. It smells great, cleans great, and doesn't dry out my skin. It has tea tree oil, which is antimicrobial and antifungal, so it protects against skin ailments like heat rash and jock itch. It can be a little pricey in small quantities, but I buy the gallon jugs and refill a small pump bottle, which brings the cost down significantly.

$82 a gallon
Their bars are $7 each

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The last time I bought it a few months ago, I paid $65 for a gallon. That's roughly 2x-2.5x the cost per ounce of a bottle of basic body wash from the grocery store. ($0.51 vs. $0.20-$0.25 per ounce)

Even if I bought at $82, that'd be about 3x the cost per ounce.

Whereas $8 per 5.5 oz bar is roughly 10x-13x the cost per ounce of a basic bar of bath soap. ($1.64 vs. $0.13-$0.15 per ounce)

Even at $7/bar, it's still about 8x-10x. ($1.27 per ounce.)

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Rain Bath from Neutrogena for a long, long time. I was looking for something different for shampoo though and tried Duke Cannon’s puck. It’s scent is described as “barrel char” and I like it. Not quite as impressed with the puck itself though. “Duke” says I should “over 175 washes” with it, and I’d be suprised if it lasted that long. The puck comes in a metal tin that’s kinda cool, but after awhile, it’s tough to get it out of the tin to rub it on my hair. Now I just scrap some off and rub it in. It’s ok, but I think I’ll try a bar shampoo next time.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I really like the Duke Cannon Buffalo Trace Whiskey bar soap. Makes the bathroom smell good too. Too expensive for regular use though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although, I did buy one of the Duke Cannon bars awhile back

Gustofer: due to your little essay on this brand, I actually ordered a bar from them. Forget the name, it was a huge heavy solid black mass. I had to cut it in half, and have been using it nearly daily what now, a year or 2?

Great olfactory hit from the suds. The mfgr has become more widely available since then, I'm struggling to decide which to pick now.

Something like like Grandpa's Bay Rum saving cream circa 1950 would be nice.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Another happy Duke Cannon user.

I could not resist "Smells like Victory".

Now I keep a four pack on hand of various scents.

Works great. lasts quite a while.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
Although, I did buy one of the Duke Cannon bars awhile back

Gustofer: due to your little essay on this brand, I actually ordered a bar from them. Forget the name, it was a huge heavy solid black mass. I had to cut it in half, and have been using it nearly daily what now, a year or 2?.

Probably the "Lump of Coal." It's good stuff.

If you're going through a bar of soap so fast that $8 seems too expensive, I suggest that your technique could use a tweak. I can make a bar last two to three months showering daily and I get plenty clean.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife started making soap bars last year and all of her samples, extra's, etc started piling up in the shower, so I gave them a try. I tell you what, I'm now a fan of the all natural stuff!!! It feels great on my skin and everything I've used so far smells great. All of her soaps have "dance" themed names, so they don't sound as manly (buy hey, what do you expect from a dance teacher who was forced to branch out creatively after COVID forced her dance studio to close). Anyway, if you are looking for another all natural bar soap, here you go...or if you have you a dancer in the family at least check out it out because they'll get a kick out of the various dance-theme named products! Makes me wonder if I can start coming up with some gun themed soaps! I think I may be on to something!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DancinCurlyHairedGrl

Posts: 75 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: July 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have used both Squatch and Duke Cannon. My skin generally prefers squatch. Going to try IPA/Grapefruit and Aloe next.

The productivity bar from Duke Cannon is in the shower now and I prefer it to the Naval Supremacy. The scent is much longer lasting.

Posts: 3154 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If I cant get 8 or 10 bars for $8.00, I wont buy it. Irish Spring is the easiest to find. My two favorites are Dove Men+Care in the gray bar or original Carress. The latter is a girls soap but it just smells so darn good. Now, I cannot even grasp how any bar of soap lasts beyond 2 showers. I've been told I use too much soap. After 2 showers I got a slivver to use with my next bar. What the hell am I doing wrong? I use wash clothes head to toe. A lot of lather. The bars just melt away. Dont even mention Ivory soap as I can melt a whole bar away.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
David Lee, I used to have the same problem with the same soap. Part of the problem was that I’m a hairy mammal, and I was rubbing the bar all over myself. Try this: wet the bar, then hold it out of the spray of the shower and work the bar in your hands until you have lather, then set the soap down (again, out of the spray of the shower), then apply the lather on your hands to the rest of you. Rinse and repeat. Holding the bar under the shower is rinsing soap off the bar and down the drain. Using the soap bar to wash yourself uses far more of the bar up than you’d believe. Washcloth or sponge or loofah work even better.

Add to that, Irish Spring all but melts in the shower. It’s specially formulated to dissolve, as far as I’m concerned. It used to be my go-to soap. A buck a bar is cheap, but not if it only lasts you a few showers.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post