SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    News drifting towards opinion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

News drifting towards opinion Login/Join 
Picture of HighZonie
posted
THE HILL .. > https://thehill.com/opinion/wh...based-not-news-based

Journalism is now opinion-based — not news-based
BY JOE CONCHA, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 05/24/19 10:30 AM EDT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Been that way for a long time. Almost all "news" has a serious slant attached.
When you watch a particular network that agrees with your own biases you will find it a lot harder to notice.
I try to get information on subjects I care about from sources other than the news.

Posts: 9446 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43801 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Drifting?

Edit your subject line. ALL CAPS is annoying

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“News” has involved opinion since there was news. There was a time when it became less obvious than now, but it was even greater if we go further back. The weekly newspaper in my little town dates back to the 1880s and what’s its name to this day? The Herald Democrat.

Such names were extremely common in the late 19th and early 20th century, including many with “Republican” in their names. As I recall there was even a Herald Republican locally. In those days editors made even fewer bones about expressing their highly partisan political views—if such a thing is possible.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yes, it began way back when with newspaper editorial columns. With the 24/7 cable news channels of the past 20 or so years, it has gone full on opinion.

The really sad part is the morons who think/thought that Jon Stewart is "news".

Objectivity is a thing of the past.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post