SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With Gas Prices Now??
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Is Going On With Gas Prices Now?? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Uh, no. Most cars on the street today have fairly sophisticated ECM's to adjust virtually ever aspect of the vehicle's ignition system. I'm sure the ECM could adequately adjust for temperature deviation without the need to reformulate the vehicle's fuel.

IMO this summer/winter blend crap is total BS (maybe it had some relevance 30 years ago when cars still had carburetors), Just smoke and mirrors created by EPA and the petroleum lobbyists.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

1. The petroleum industry does not lobby for summer grade and winter grade gasoline. This is a huge pain in our ass cost us money and it takes us away from doing productive things.

2. You live in Florida. There are parts of the country that actually have four seasons. It makes a huge difference having winter grade gasoline in the further north climates. You cannot bend the laws of physics with electronics.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My already way-too-expensive gallon of gas jumped from $2.35-2.40 here in PA to $2.60 in less than 48 hours.

What's the latest excuse?
Roll Eyes
How many hundred gasoline price posts can one man make? Every one of your threads goes the same way. Sigforumites look up articles and post (usually from AAA - hint, hint, hint), but you seemingly learn nothing. Rinse and repeat.

I have explained the winter summer phenomenal ad nausea over the years. Other years, I have included maps, charts, tables, etc. I think I know how Tacfoley feels repeatedly explaining UK gun laws.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

1. The petroleum industry does not lobby for summer grade and winter grade gasoline. This is a huge pain in our ass cost us money and it takes us away from doing productive things.

2. You live in Florida. There are parts of the country that actually have four seasons. It makes a huge difference having winter grade gasoline in the further north climates. You cannot bend the laws of physics with electronics.
This is not sarcasm so please do not take it as such as your knowledge of the petroleum industry far out strips mine. When did all this different blends nonsense begin? I could Google it, but its easier to simply ask. How did cars in northern climates survive prior to blended fuel? I'm not suggesting that blended fuel doesn't aid ignition burn in cold climates, but do the costs of producing/providing it on a nationwide basis outweigh its added benefit(s) given the consumer is going to be picking up the tab for these changeover? The petro companies aren't going to eat that bill, nor should they. This whole blended thing just smacks of good ole fashioned government meddling, and I'd bet today's lunch that government in the only entity in this equation that truly benefits significantly from this 'requirement'.

And just so we're clear, I've never believed this to be a petro industry issue/problem, but yet another one created by governments.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Bigdeal,

Winter grade is the conventional gasoline (aka C-BOB) and reformulated (R-BOB) is the newer gasoline formulation (ie no issue historically in northern climates because everyone used conventional grade gasoline yeararound). Federally, summer grade gasoline law passed in '89 and implemented in 90s. I actually had to look this one up because it was already in place when I joined the industry in 1993.

You did touch on one issue that I had mentioned in previous years. The issue is the system not just implemented federally, but is also implemented by some states (eg California). The United States has over 20 blends of gasoline when there should only be six (I'm a proponent of four - premium winter, premium summer, regular winter, and regular summer). There are actually two different Low RVP standards 9.0 and 7.8 mandated by the EPA and 7.8 is mandated on the county level not the PADD level. When you have 20 grades of gasoline it makes the market even tighter during spring conversion from wintergrade to summer grade. 20 grades of gasoline also amplifies the impact on the refinery outages, pipeline outages, etc. because sometimes you have to transport gasoline great distances because adjacent areas do not make that gasoline.

California air resources board is a good example of something starting off good but going completely off the rails. Over their 40 year history, help get lead out of gasoline, helped set emission standards, helped with advent of low RVP gasoline, etc. My former boss (who just retired) told me stories of the 1980s when Los Angeles used to have a brown cloud over it and reformulated gasoline is one the ways they are now only a light yellow cloud over it (in other words, there is merit to it but they have screwed it up). However, now they have gone off the deep end with all kinds of wacky climate change pseudoscience. They have also pulled genius moves like adopting a proprietary, patented gasoline blending process from Unocal which forced every refinery in the state of California to pay Unocal royalties. Then, that system had water contamination issues so they made the whole California industry switch over to ethanol.

It's a huge EPA and state DNR issue that I hope the Trump administration tackles.

~Todd

Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
Summer blend? I have a foot of snow on the ground and it's still snowing!

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
The United States has over 20 blends of gasoline when there should only be six (I'm a proponent of four - premium winter, premium summer, regular winter, and regular summer). There are actually two different Low RVP standards 9.0 and 7.8 mandated by the EPA and 7.8 is mandated on the county level not the PADD level. When you have 20 grades of gasoline it makes the market even tighter during spring conversion from wintergrade to summer grade. 20 grades of gasoline also amplifies the impact on the refinery outages, pipeline outages, etc. because sometimes you have to transport gasoline great distances because adjacent areas do not make that gasoline.

As I recall, Romney made this issue one of his campaign points and said that if elected that he would streamline this and end the "boutique" fuels. I never heard anything regarding this in the last election, but I hope it's on Trump's list - maybe in his EPA overhaul?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
My already way-too-expensive gallon of gas jumped from $2.35-2.40 here in PA to $2.60 in less than 48 hours.

Roll Eyes
How many hundred gasoline price posts can one man make? Every one of your threads goes the same way. Sigforumites look up articles and post (usually from AAA - hint, hint, hint), but you seemingly learn nothing. Rinse and repeat.

I have explained the winter summer phenomenal ad nausea over the years. Other years, I have included maps, charts, tables, etc. I think I know how Tacfoley feels repeatedly explaining UK gun laws.

No one forced you to read the thread, douchebag.
Roll Eyes

Maybe I should have just posted in the "what's your bitch" section to keep you from crying?

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Play nice kids...................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roll Eyes

Elders of Zion, Illuminati, and the Freemasons.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the internet, for Christ's sake. When is not knowing what you are talking about a barrier?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have a practical question. I keep about 100 liters of gasoline in NATO jerries for emergencies. Stuff like running a generator, bug out gas for truck. Every year I rotate the gas. Should I be doing this during the summer or winter months? I.e., what is the generic gas I should keep on hand, summer or winter? BTW, I keep ethanol free "clear gas" for this purpose. It looks pink and even tastes the same as I remember gas from my youth. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

No one forced you to read the thread, douchebag.
Roll Eyes

Maybe I should have just posted in the "what's your bitch" section to keep you from crying?
I have as much respect for gasoline gouging conspiracy theorists as I do for flat earth conspiracy theorists.

Get a new hobby besides posting about gasoline prices...

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since this topic got waaaaaaaaaay too serious... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Okay, I have a practical question. I keep about 100 liters of gasoline in NATO jerries for emergencies. Stuff like running a generator, bug out gas for truck. Every year I rotate the gas. Should I be doing this during the summer or winter months? I.e., what is the generic gas I should keep on hand, summer or winter? BTW, I keep ethanol free "clear gas" for this purpose. It looks pink and even tastes the same as I remember gas from my youth. Smile
Good question, but tough to answer when your location says "Utah" which has both mountains and deserts.

Maybe this will help. For my generator:
  • When I lived in Alaska, I bought my gasoline in the winter since it would work year around and with the cool summers and anti-emission caps it wouldn't lose much in summer. We basically had 9 months of winter.
  • In Houston, I buy my gas in the summer right before hurricane season. It doesn't get cold enough for me to worry about it in winter and it'll last better in the 9 months of summer.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you tatortodd.

I was getting ready to write a couple of things but you covered them all for me and then ALOT more.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
    186,000 miles per second.
    It's the law.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    quote:

Roll Eyes

Elders of Zion, Illuminati, and the Freemasons.

AND the Trilateral Commission

Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Get a new hobby besides posting about gasoline prices...

Again...

NO ONE FORCED YOU TO READ OR FOLLOW MY THREAD.

If I feel like bitching about gas prices going up, that's my choice.

We are already getting SCREWED in the ass in PA for about 58 cents a gallon that was promised to all go to the roads and bridges. Here we are 4 years into in, our roads and bridges are STILL falling apart and the PA State Police is sitting fat and happy with a 1.3 BILLION $ budget all from the money siphoned off from this state gas tax. There's more to our situation than just summer blend switching.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post