SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Oddy vs. Toyota Sienna
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Oddy vs. Toyota Sienna Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
We have 1 of each. A 2003 Odyssey and a 2005 Sienna, and I've driven recent models of both. Not much has changed from this standpoint: The Odyssey feels tighter and drives more tightly. The Sienna feels sloppy and the response feels more lazy.

If that makes sense. I love the Odyssey feel, and my wife likes the Sienna.

Everything else is load-out preferences, since they'll both probably run for as long as you live, if you take care of it.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Odyssey comes with a 9 speed or 10 speed transmission. I believe the 10 speed is only available on the top model.

The 9 speed is the notorious ZF transmission that a lot of people have been unhappy with (Pilot, Jeep, etc). I would drive one and check forums to get a good evaluation on the 9 speed.

For what it's worth Consumer reports likes the Toyota better than the Honda. Toyota 1st Honda last. They predicted much worse and average reliability.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
The Odyssey comes with a 9 speed or 10 speed transmission. I believe the 10 speed is only available on the top model.

The 9 speed is the notorious ZF transmission that a lot of people have been unhappy with (Pilot, Jeep, etc). I would drive one and check forums to get a good evaluation on the 9 speed.

For what it's worth Consumer reports likes the Toyota better than the Honda. Toyota 1st Honda last. They predicted much worse and average reliability.

Forgot about this part. I know the 9AT has a pretty miserable reputation on the Acura forums from it's TLX application.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the wheels..... gotta have bitchin wheels...

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Normally I’d say go with Consumer Reports, but lately they’ve been nixing cars based on their infotainment system and such. My wife is on her second Odyssey, and likely will want another when the time comes. I’ve read that the Siena is more like a luxury car, the Odyssey better to drive.
I wouldn’t let the brake issue stop me.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You ain't nuthin until you have a custom 70's van.

Your grandpa probably had one, or a buddy that had one, and it had a Kool ass mural painted on the sides, probably carpeted top to bottom with shag carpet, custom 8 track player, fold down sofa for the drive in movies, bar, and smelled like refer all the time.

Oh and yeah that's what your grandmother looked like in the 70's, standing outside in hot pants and knee boots and yer grandpa kneeling, they were cruisin a van and cool...

Posts: 23590 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 3rd Sienna as a work van.

First one was a 2015 XLE AWD, zero issues, put 92K miles on it in 2.5 years.

Next was a 2018 LE AWD, only issue was the driver window gasket wouldn't stay in place. This van was hit by a drunk driver at 1 year old with 41K miles on it. Drunk was doing 85 in a 35 and rear ended us (we were going 35). We weren't injured, he was. Van was totaled.

Current is a 2017 LE AWD that I got as a replacement from the fleet pool. Only issue is once again the driver window gasket keeps popping out of place. Taking it to the dealer soon for repair.

Plan to request another Sienna in a year or so when I run up the mileage on this one.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4526 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
You should take a look at the Chrysler Pacifica. We have a 2017, and it has been a very solid performer. I really like the stow n go fold flat seats for use when you need a cargo van, much more easier and convenient than having to take the seats out.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize Honda didn't make their own transmissions. I assume that is what it means if Jeep uses the same one.

That 70's van pic is a riot. I assume it's the 70's version of a selfie.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that Toyota does still make AWD Siennas. They are taking orders for 2020's now, you just click on Sienna, then pick your trim, then you can pick between FWD or AWD. Minimum trim for AWD is LE.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4526 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
You should take a look at the Chrysler Pacifica. We have a 2017, and it has been a very solid performer. I really like the stow n go fold flat seats for use when you need a cargo van, much more easier and convenient than having to take the seats out.

Fiat Chrysler has too many problems with their TIPM’s (Totally Integrated Power Module) and other electrical problems after about 4 years. They’re ok to lease for a couple years but that’s about it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Double check the smartphone interface/infotainment center on the Sienna vs. Odyssey (if that's important to you). The Sienna may have improved but we upgraded from a '13 Pilot to a '19 Pilot a few months ago and considered the Toyota 4Runner and Highlander during the process. The Honda interface was far superior.

Michael

Posts: 1104 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda makes the 10 speed auto. The two top trip levels of the Odyssey (Touring & Elite) have the 10 speed.

Link with Ward's new article on Trans

https://www.wardsauto.com/tech...l-drive-10at-odyssey

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
My FnLaw has a 2005 Sienna that we converted into a handicap van. It's been flawless with routine maintenance,it is fully loaded,practical and comfortable..

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
I looked at the end of 2017 between these two in 2018 trim.I really wanted the AWD in the Sienna but I think you couldn't Get it with seating for 8. And the third seat in the second row on the non-AWD Sienna seemed like an afterthought. Went with Honda.

I don't remember what the transmission issues were, but I had read that essentially they changed whatever was causing the issues before putting it in the Odyssey. Can't find the article now. I do find it slow to start from a stop until second gear. If I try to hurry, I've squealed the tires (or spun them in the rain). I think we have 27k miles on the van so far.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post