SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Oddy vs. Toyota Sienna
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Oddy vs. Toyota Sienna Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Hey guys, I'm looking to refresh our 8 y/o Oddy for a new van. Debated other non-van platforms, but for the next 5 years, having a bus and moving van still makes sense. I'm probably leaning back to Honda because the Toyota sales process is a cluster with levels and options and such. Hard to shop and compare. That said, I'm pretty tired of Honda's famously undersized front rotors. I suppose I could just go aftermarket when they wear out, but I was wondering...

Any Toyota Sienna owners out there that can advise how the experience has been? Any nagging issues? Anyone here owned both that can share some experiences or observations?

Seems they don't offer an AWD version anymore. Or... just as likely, it's hidden in their clusterfuck confusing and verbose website.

Thanks!

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I recently bought a Toyota Highlander......very pleased.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Sienna. Love it for what it is. If I buy another mini van it will be a Sienna.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many miles on your Oddy?

If you can squeeze a few more years out of it, you may get past the minivan stage.

As for their rotors, I’ve tried Raybestos but ended back with Honda OEM.

P229

Posts: 3848 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have a 2012 Odyssey that has 210,000 miles. I changed to Raybestos 900738 Advanced Technology rotors two years ago and have not had a problem with them warping.

Before this van, we had a 2006 Sienna. The main difference between them is that the Sienna was louder in the cabin. That might not apply to the current generation.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My Dad had Hondas and now has a Toyota; seem roughly equivalent to me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
A 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan was my first, last and only mini-van. It was a good one.... a large and capable people mover.
But my bro has the Oddy and my bro-in-law has the Sienna. They are mostly driven by the wives though and they seem pleased.
I'd say stay off the website if it's not helpful and just go drive both at nearby dealerships.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Co-worker's wife is on her 3rd or 4th Sienna (leased, but buying out the current one).
Couple former neighbors had Odysseys.

No major complaints from any of them.

Former boss bought a Pacifica & was very happy with it as well.

Sienna v Odyssey, I think you just have to drive both & see which 'fits' better. IMO, they're roughly equivalent.

I haven't driven the current-gen Odyssey, but in prior generations, I always found the Ody a bit better to drive & less bland. Similar to how an Accord is/was a better drive than a Camry, IMO.

If you're looking used, just be cautious of the 98-04 models, as that was during the 'glass' transmissions years at Honda/Acura.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15391 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think they are both good vehicles. I've had several friends with the Honda and all have been very happy.
With minimal care they seem to easily last 200,000 + miles.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
interesting comment that the Honda was quieter than the Toyota,

my experience (not from the mini vans, but other models) has been the opposite,

if local sales are an indicator, the Honda wins hands down,
my small neighborhood has about 5 or so on my street, and no Sienna's

most of what we see are Honda's on the street

my neighbor is on her 3rd, (granted, one was taken out in an accident) with no issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
How about A Kia Sedona?

I hate to keep bringing up the Koreans in these car threads, but they do make a nice ride.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
How about A Kia Sedona?

I hate to keep bringing up the Koreans in these car threads, but they do make a nice ride.

Completely forgot about these, can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. Around here, it's the vast majority dominated by the Honda/Toyota, followed by the Chrysler.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15391 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2015 Sienna Limited awd. Bought it used with 48k about 1 1/2 years ago. My wife loves it and I like it fine. We had a mid 2000s Odyssey and it gave good reliable service. The Toyota is old styling, first introduced in 2011 and tweaked along the way. One of the main reasons I bought this is the dealer really wanted my 2015 Transit 150 XLT and the trade was near even. Not one spec of buyer's remorse.

If I was buying brand new to drive and keep I'd probably go with the Honda.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Honda looks better.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a used 2012 Sienna from Enterprise in 2013 with 32K and change on it. Now i have a bit more than 72K on it and it has been perfect in every way.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My BIL has a Sienna and my in-laws have a Odyssey.

The Honda seems to handle and drive like a big sedan but the Toyota is more truck-like.

When we have child #3, we are going to get an Odyssey.

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
How about A Kia Sedona?

Completely forgot about these, can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. Around here, it's the vast majority dominated by the Honda/Toyota, followed by the Chrysler.

funnily enough I saw one on my commute into work today.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I own a Sienna. Love it for what it is. If I buy another mini van it will be a Sienna.

Agreed. We got my wife the Sienna, and I have the Rav4. Her Sienna is a 2011, so about as old as your odyssey is now it sounds like, but its been a fantastic car in the short time we’ve owned it (about a year). But we bought used,’obviously, and it sounds like youre jumping into a mew vehicle, so i cant comment as to the dealership runaround bullshit. Im just a toyota guy, i guess

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If your only complaint with the Honda is the poor brakes you will likely be in the same boat with the Sienna. Toyota is quite good at undersizing brakes as well. The Sienna we had was no different.

No personal experience with the Kia but my buddy who is the biggest Chevy Silverado Redneck can you can imagine got his wife a Sedona and they have been extremely happy with it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a 2011 Sienna AWD and have been pretty happy with it. The seats weigh a ton of you want to ever remove them.

We're selling it and buying a newish Odyssey in the next few months. We'll have 4 car seats in the van and the Odyssey is way better about having seat configurations that are car seat compatible.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post