SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Never own a dog smarter than you
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never own a dog smarter than you Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Don't let the cute dufus looks fool you, he's a conniving little shit.

Asked my daughter what she wanted to do on her last full day in Alaska. Her answer, "I don't care what we do we just have to include Bandit." So we packed a picnic lunch, grabbed the dog and headed up Hatcher Pass only to have mother nature cop a 'tude and rain us out.

On the way down the pass I suddenly felt the back of my neck was wet. Turn around and see Bandit had hit the switch for the power window and rolled down one of the rear windows of the truck all of the way. Just in time for a truck passing the other direction to spray the entire back of the cab in watery mud. He was standing there with his front paws on the window sill, leaning out in the wind with a muddy brown muzzle looking quite happy with himself.

I figured just a fluke, he must have accidentally hit the switch standing on the arm rest with his front paws. Nope, I rolled it backup to just a crack and he rolled it back down. This went on 3 more times before i finally flipped the lock switch for the windows ruining his fun and freedom.

Yes, he's smart and a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOLOLOLOL, that reminds me of a German Sheperd I had as a kid. He did something bad, so we put him in time out in the bathroom. He turned the sink on full blast. In the fenced yard, he'd open the gate latch with his nose and terrorize the neighborhood then come back and latch it back.....all sorts of fun stuff.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well, he's half German Shepherd and half Karelian Bear Dog, so I figure I'm pretty much screwed.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Smile Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is my buddy Bandit. He's my neighbors dog up at the lake but he comes for a visit quite often. Seems to be a resemblance.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
^^^^ That's a little spooky.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Rule 2

Never brag on your dog; he’ll piss on your boot.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12436 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
^^^^ That's a little spooky.

Oh he's a smart trickster himself.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
My Australian Cattle Dog is a PIA. Plays me and the mrs. like like a fiddle. Highway is very independent and very protective of us. He is our CRAZY, Hot Mess of a dog.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Our first dog was a pound pup we named Bandit. She was so smart and always the alpha in the family.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
My dog likes the passenger window open, while her head is out she occasionally will trip the switch and the window will close.

She looks over and gives me that "Why did you close the window on me?" look.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If you own a smarter dog than you are just remember that you do not admit it. .................drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
We had a Basset (the black one in my avatar). A chapter in a magazine on Bassets I have is titled "Smarter Than You." Bassets are often labeled 'dumb' since they are hard to train, but they are one of the smartest breeds (Bassets are notoriously stubborn, and aren't as eager to please as other breeds). He trained my wife to fetch his ball for him. I consider them "Lex Luthor Smart," since they use their intelligence for nefarious purposes. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21852 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You think Bassett hounds are stubborn - try a Brittany!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulled the keys from the ignition to run in and grab a sub sandwich,

Laid them on the seat to remove my sunglasses , shut the door and went inside.

7 pound Belle, the min fox terrior jumps on the door lock button to see where I am going w/o her.

AAA will take 90 minutes,
so,
I hike a mile to the house and back for the spare set of keys

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
We had a Basset (the black one in my avatar). A chapter in a magazine on Bassets I have is titled "Smarter Than You." Bassets are often labeled 'dumb' since they are hard to train, but they are one of the smartest breeds (Bassets are notoriously stubborn, and aren't as eager to please as other breeds). He trained my wife to fetch his ball for him. I consider them "Lex Luthor Smart," since they use their intelligence for nefarious purposes. . .

Our Third Basset, Bella loves to have her nose in the wind, and will roll the windows down in my truck. thing is her paws are large, so since the same switch is up or down, occasionally she'll roll them up on herself, so I have to lock them down as well.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
In the fenced yard, he'd open the gate latch with his nose and terrorize the neighborhood then come back and latch it back.....all sorts of fun stuff.

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer that would do the same with the U latch on a chain link fence. After I figured it out, I had to start locking the latch with a carabiner to keep her in.

The funny part was that she could jump straight up about 5+ feet from a standing position, and even higher with a running start. But she never jumped over the fence. Once she could no longer unlatch the gate, she just stayed inside the fence.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
In the fenced yard, he'd open the gate latch with his nose and terrorize the neighborhood then come back and latch it back.....all sorts of fun stuff.

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer that would do the same with the U latch on a chain link fence. After I figured it out, I had to start locking the latch with a carabiner to keep her in.

The funny part was that she could jump straight up about 5+ feet from a standing position, and even higher with a running start. But she never jumped over the fence. Once she could no longer unlatch the gate, she just stayed inside the fence.

So far as you know. . . Wink

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post